Owning a Phone After Security Updates End

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Hello everyone,

I'm in the market for a new phone. I'm considering a 2018 flagship to get some of the features that I'm looking for at a lower cost. I plan on holding onto it for 2.5- 3 years- longer than I've ever owned a phone.

My concern- A phone that has been on the market for a year will be approximately halfway through the period where it will receive security patches/updates. Is there any inherent or significant risk associated with owning a phone past this period?

I do not download apps outside of Google Play Store. I do use my phone very frequently as a mobile hotspot and connect to other networks.

I sincerely appreciate any insight!

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Is there any inherent or significant risk associated with owning a phone past this period?

There is simply no way to know until a vulnerability is found and the device ends up not receiving a patch because it's beyond the support period. The ones I'd be most worried about would be something like Spectre (CPU) or KRACK (WiFi) but who knows what might come to light over the next 24-36 months.

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Android Central.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez