S8 Blackscreen, can't force reset?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

My Galaxy S8 froze and some time later turned to blackscreen, no response since.
-Charged 15+ min with original charger

-Force reboot (vol down + power for 5+ min) doesn't do anything

-Connects to PC via USB and instantly disconnects

-No vibrations or notification lights

-Failed software update the day before
Is that a software error, and if so how to fix when force reboot doesn't work?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
My Galaxy S8 froze and some time later turned to blackscreen, no response since.
-Charged 15+ min with original charger

-Force reboot (vol down + power for 5+ min) doesn't do anything

-Connects to PC via USB and instantly disconnects

-No vibrations or notification lights

-Failed software update the day before
Is that a software error, and if so how to fix when force reboot doesn't work?
Hi, if you can register a account here, me or other members be happy to assist you.
If you get into recovery do a factory reset.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Let it charge on a wall outlet undisturbed for at least 6 hours. Then press and hold Power for about 20 seconds to see if it turns on. If it doesn't then, then try booting into Recovery as suggested by mustang7757: https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-34311. If you're unable to boot into Recovery, then I'd suspect hardware failure (either the battery or the motherboard). Is the phone still under warranty?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Search the web for "Samsung warranty service" for your region. Keep in mind that you usually have to live in the region your phone was intended for in order for the warranty to be valid. So if you bought an international version intended for Europe but live in the US, the Samsung USA usually won't honor the warranty.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Search the web for "Samsung warranty service" for your region. Keep in mind that you usually have to live in the region your phone was intended for in order for the warranty to be valid. So if you bought an international version intended for Europe but live in the US, the Samsung USA usually won't honor the warranty.
I don't think s8 has any warranty from anywhere .

Bab asfasf

Jul 15, 2019
Visit site
@mustang7757 No, it doesn't recognize it, keeps saying "Connect your device to get started." I get the new device connects and disconnects windows sounds.
@B. Diddy @mustang7757 It's not clear, I'll ask my retailer tomorrow morning. Germany btw

While connected to PC, i get windows connect/disconnect sounds when i press the power button alone and with volume/Bixby buttons

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
@mustang7757 No, it doesn't recognize it, keeps saying "Connect your device to get started." I get the new device connects and disconnects windows sounds.
@B. Diddy @mustang7757 It's not clear, I'll ask my retailer tomorrow morning. Germany btw

While connected to PC, i get windows connect/disconnect sounds when i press the power button alone and with volume/Bixby buttons
At this point only repair center. Screen stay black and dont have steady connection to recognize the device.

Bab asfasf

Jul 15, 2019
Visit site
@mustang7757 I will check for warranty tomorrow and visit a repair center.
They usually recommend doing a data backup beforehand, is that impossible for me since it doesn't connect to PC or internet? I read something about FonePaw not needing a stable connection, but it doesn't list the S8.

I checked the warranty on https://www.unlocksamsungonline.nl/en/warranty
is that a reliable site?

Last edited:

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
@mustang7757 I will check for warranty tomorrow and visit a repair center.
They usually recommend doing a data backup beforehand, is that impossible for me since it doesn't connect to PC or internet? I read something about FonePaw not needing a stable connection, but it doesn't list the S8.

I checked the warranty on https://www.unlocksamsungonline.nl/en/warranty
is that a reliable site?
I'm not sure on that site , never used them .
You won't be able to back up anything at this point , but definitely keep us posted what happens..I'm sorry we couldn't be more help .

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Warranty for a new device is typically one year in the US, and two years in many other parts of the world, from the date of purchase. If you happened to buy this new within the last 2 years, there's a chance it's covered. But if you got it used or refurbished, it won't be covered. Refurbs typically have a 30-90 day limited warranty, and if it's a used phone, I'm not sure if the warranty is transferable from the original owner.

Bab asfasf

Jul 15, 2019
Visit site
Thanks you both very much, this definetly helped me a lot. Nothing to be done at such a weird/uncommon defect. I'll update whatever the repair shop finds.

Brought it from an Samsung authorized retailer nov 2017, will know tomorrow about warranty.