Xiaomi Redmi Note 7 charges through the PC, but not the outlet.

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

So, Hi. Two days ago I started having an issue with charging in the outlet. First, about 5 minutes after plugging my phone in it just disconnected for about 10 seconds, I was scared because it never disconnected from a charger before, and then it connected back again after 10 seconds, and it did that the whole time it was charging. I know because of the sound...

The next day it got more funky, plugging the phone to the outlet causes it to constantly spam the "Phone Charging" notification with the sound, I can see the LED lights itself and turns off once a second. I tried a different socket, same thing. Different adapter and it worked, almost. It did disconnect a few times, but stopped after about the fifth time, and charged properly.

Fast forward to now, the cable and adapter I have used for the past 2 years with this phone almost works, by almost I mean its luck dependent, it will either connect or not. If it connects then it will stop charging after 20 minutes or so, and unplugging and plugging again does absolutely nothing, as if I got a power-cut. If I leave the charger plugged in, but not the phone, and after a few minutes plug my phone in, it charges. Until it stops whenever it feels like it, sometimes a minute, sometimes an hour.

I tried 2 different adapters and 2 different cables, tried to mix cables and adapters together, but the only one I can get to work at all is the one I described above. All other chargers and cables just spam me with the notification, sound and LED and don't charge at all. However they do charge other devices, but the one I use my phone with doesn't. I completely don't understand it and I think magic is coming back to our world.

Right now I'm charging through my PC, it's getting charged with no problem. I figured that USBs have a more stable power transfer, but I'm a complete and utter noob so not sure.

I tried updating my OS, updating apps separately, uninstalling the apps I have installed recently, cleaning the ports, enabling/disabling the USB debugging mode. Used different chargers/ports/sockets. Nothing has helped.

My guess is that the battery is dying, but then again I haven't had any sign of it wearing down, the charge times (before this) where about what I expect from a 2 year old phone, same with usage.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Does the phone or the charger get particularly warm while charging? If so, I wonder if the charging is automatically stopping as a safety precaution. This would be much less likely to happen when charging through a PC USB port, since the current there is much less.

KenTama

Apr 19, 2021
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Does the phone or the charger get particularly warm while charging? If so, I wonder if the charging is automatically stopping as a safety precaution. This would be much less likely to happen when charging through a PC USB port, since the current there is much less.

The phone does heat up sometimes, no idea what it depends on. It is around the charging port area but usually when using the phone while charging for longer than half an hour, it has happened for a long time now and I blamed it on my cracked screen, which has been cracked for two years now and this issue is rather new.

Edit: I forgot to say thank you for the welcomes and hi!

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm guessing it's a hardware problem, either with the port itself or one of its connections. You'd probably have to bring it to a repair shop if you want to try fixing it. Sorry!

KenTama

Apr 19, 2021
Visit site
I'm guessing it's a hardware problem, either with the port itself or one of its connections. You'd probably have to bring it to a repair shop if you want to try fixing it. Sorry!

I have a soldering station, and this phone could use a screen change anyway. I will be buying a new phone in a few months, but I want to keep this one as backup because things happen...

Gonna have to pain it out, thanks anyway!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87