Disable Google Drive Connection on S8

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I always had gmail connected on my S8. I recently tested connecting to my Google Drive for the same account. I was prompted to approve that access. Then it synced everything. I do not want these files on my phone. I want to remove access, remove the sync, remove the files.

But, even if I sign out of Google Drive, I can still go back into it as if I were signed in because it automatically signs me in (so what's the point of "signing out").

How do I reset this back to the state it was before my test. When I try to enter My Files > Google Drive I want to be prompted for approval as I was the first time. How can I accomplish this without disconnecting my gmail? I looked "everywhere."

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! How did you sign out? Did you go to Settings>Accounts>Google and turn off Drive sync there?

After you unsync, go to Settings>Apps, select Google Drive, and then Clear Cache/Clear Data. Now see if the files still show up.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
The files aren't on your device, they are still on Google Drive but like you noticed when you open the app you are automatically signed in. If your only reason for wanting to un-sync and sign out of your account is because you think the files are being saved to your device, they are not. Since you are using Drive I'll assume that you know some of the benefits of it, file sharing, cloud storage, free space on your device to name a few. If you're also using Google to backup your photos they are being stored in your drive account. You don't need to open or even have Drive installed for this because they are accessable thru Google Photos, probably just called Photos on your device. Again offering you the same benefits as drive but for photos and videos exclusively. With Google Photos and auto backup you have the benefit of having your photos available to you, thru the app, and the option to remove them from your device but still being able to view them as if they were still on your device. The same is true of drive. View, manage, share just like the files were on your device.

Just some food for thought.