Galaxy Tab S3 Cant access wifi to complete inital boot up and reinstall.

helimadness

Aug 27, 2019
Visit site
Hi All,
So my 3 year old managed to get some sort of parental lock on our Tab3. With no way to guess the password we tried factory reset. At the time it was in flight mode.
Have tried factory reset several times, wiped all the data. Even tried a full install of the latest version of android 8 using the downloader mode and Odin.
So every time we run through setup we get to the wifi connection and it says connected but no interenet and wont let us proceed to next step. Totally locked out because wifi wont connect on it. Have tried home wifi multiple times. Rebooted the router. Tried 2 different mobiles on hotspot but same problem.
So stupid you have to have a wifi connection to get booted up. Cant seem to do anything without it booting.
Any advice greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Mark

helimadness

Aug 27, 2019
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Can you try an open public wi-fi network, like at your local public library?

Thanks for the welcome and reply.

I haven't tried that. So how is that any different to our wifi at home? we use for several devices all the time with no problems. As well as trying 2 hotpots on our Mobiles. All come up as connected with no internet.
I will try and give it a go next time I am out with it.
Is there anyway to share internet from a PC through a USB cable before you have completed initial setup and bi pass the need for wifi ?
Cheers
Mark

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It could be the security protocol your router is using. If you want to try it, you could temporarily disable the security in your router's settings -- if you don't know how, look up your router's manual (on the web, if you don't have a hardcopy) to find out how to access the settings using your computer's browser.

I've never tried using a USB tether that early in the setup process. It's worth a try, but I suspect it won't work.

helimadness

Aug 27, 2019
Visit site
It could be the security protocol your router is using. If you want to try it, you could temporarily disable the security in your router's settings -- if you don't know how, look up your router's manual (on the web, if you don't have a hardcopy) to find out how to access the settings using your computer's browser.

I've never tried using a USB tether that early in the setup process. It's worth a try, but I suspect it won't work.

Ah ok. Only problem is I am living in China at the moment and our router was setup by the local China Mobile guy when I wasn't at home. So don't have access to it and its all in Chinese. The Tab3 was brought in the UK so 100% UK version.
Maybe I can turn the security off on my phone tethering and try connecting to that.
Thanks for the advice.
Cheers

helimadness

Aug 27, 2019
Visit site

Hi Again. So turned off my security on my hot spot on phone so connection was open no password required and same problem.
Connects to phone shows up with address. Connected on Tab3 but no internet.
Really running out of ideas. Can you root the device to bipass the need to connect to wifi just to turn it on? Is there another firmware that's better ?
Couple of screen shots attached.
Cheers
Tab3 connection 2.jpgPhone screen capture.jpgTab3 connection 1.jpg

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Is there any option to skip that setup part? One of our Ambassadors mustang7757 tested a factory reset on his Note9 and found that if he kept hitting the Skip button, it eventually was able to skip that part of the setup.

BTW, I modified your thread title to say "Tab S3" instead of "Tab3." The Tab3 is a much older device, and might bias readers into thinking that the device is possibly too old for compatibility.

Last edited:

helimadness

Aug 27, 2019
Visit site
I did re flash using Odin3. Will try again at home later with Smartswitch.
No option to skip, only next. Just crazy as have no options to fix the problem until booted up. Seems a very common problem getting connected to wifi but not having internet access. To be blocked from using a device because you dont have internet is something I would expect apple to do.
Thanks for changing the name missed that.
Cheers

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
This is an old trick which probably won't work on your tablet, but when you see that activation window, tap the Recent Apps/Overview button, then see if you can select some other app, or exit out of the Overview into the homescreen.

helimadness

Aug 27, 2019
Visit site
Hmm, not sure why that's happening. I don't know about rooting, but you could try reinstalling the firmware, in case something got corrupted. Try using Smart Switch to reinstall: SmartSwitch: Install & update or replace firmware

Hi,
Smart switch doesn't seem to work as need the device fully booted to get it to accept the USB in debugging mode by the looks. Doesn't seem to be an option to flash it from scratch. I tried in downloading mode as well but just doesn't recognise its plugged in.
So having a go at flashing again with Odin just selected the full erase option first this time. Wait and see.
Cheers

helimadness

Aug 27, 2019
Visit site
This is an old trick which probably won't work on your tablet, but when you see that activation window, tap the Recent Apps/Overview button, then see if you can select some other app, or exit out of the Overview into the homescreen.

It takes me to a start button. Only option to select it. Then a wifi connection which connects but says no internet. There is a manual setup. Tried every option I can think of but still wont connect. Then it sometimes lets me go to the licence selection page where only option is to agree then click next which tries to connect to the internet to verify and fails. No other option unfortunately.
Cheers

helimadness

Aug 27, 2019
Visit site
Google is not available in China so it may be an idea to use a VPN on the phone you are using as a hotspot.

Just tried that no go. I think VPNs only work on the end device. If you share your connection I don't think it shares the VPN. If its just trying to verify the licence agreement surly doesn't need to go through google?
Tried re flashing a few times with total wipe. Still dead. Looks like I have an expensive paperweight.
Im done with Samsung.
Thanks for the help.
Cheers

helimadness

Aug 27, 2019
Visit site
Ok got it sorted. Appears the Great firewall of China was the issue. We recently had a trip to Korea. Connected first time and let me finish setup. So during the first installation must be trying to connect to some google services which are blocked.
So if you have a Samsung device you have brought outside China and you are visiting China what every you do dont reset it while in China.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38