No sound on my j3 2017 ... micraphone is working fine... no audio on youtube,spotify and phone calls

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Basically explains it

Could be water or something in the mic...

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Can you hear sound if you use a wired or Bluetooth headset? Do you know for sure that the phone was exposed to water?

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
We'll assume you mean speaker, as the mic is used to record/pick-up sound and the speaker play/deliver sound. We'll also assume that you have attempted to change the volume levels both by simply pressing on the volume rocker and by going into settings. We'll further assume that you are able to affect the volume levels or at least their indicators that show what the volume level is expected to be, so a full bar when expecting the volume to be maxed and an empty bar when expecting the volume to be off or zero. If we are incorrect about any of these please try the settings method to max out all volumes. On your Samsung it should be Settings>Sounds and vibration>Volume.

Given that you are not hearing anything from any app that could indicate damage since it affects all sound on the device. My first question is why do you go to water damage, is there something that happened to make you feel this is possible? While the speakers are some of the most exposed parts of the phone, and while I cannot find an IP rating for this device, there is still the headphone port, the power port and the gap around the home button. Mic holes are usually small enough that regular water tension keeps them dry. Usually. Moving on if nothing has happened that you are aware of...

My initial thinking is there should be some sound from at least one of the speakers even if there were damage. It might be a muffled buzz of some kind but even a blown speaker usually makes noise. For damage of any kind to perfectly take out both speakers at the same time leaving them completely soundless and not affect anything else about the phone would be astronomical odds. Drops or falls would leave some external damage, water getting into the speakers would not usually just stop at the speakers, and likely wouldn't take them both out equally, etc etc etc... So is there any sound at all, even a buzz when the volume is at max? You might have to have a friend yell into the phone for you to detect sound from the ear piece even at max.

There is no permission associated with the speakers so it is unlikely that an app is preventing their use but restarting the phone in "safe mode" could be useful for diagnosis. This link will help you start the device in "safe mode"... https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...ials-1072105&usg=AOvVaw34vSr35ebiSfQJGE_gcl6g . Once in safe mode try a call and at least one of your media apps. Let us know if you get sound.

You may also want to check your Accessibility settings. Be sure that "Mute all sounds" is not enabled, along with any other settings that could affect volume levels.

Use mustang7757's link to reply to this thread with any answers to the questions posed, so that we may offer other advice.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
My initial thinking is there should be some sound from at least one of the speakers even if there were damage.

All excellent points, except that I believe the 2017 J3 only has a single mono speaker (not stereo). So if the main speaker is shot, the sound goes kaput!:-\

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I was unable to find any specs indicating stereo or mono but there's a speaker grill in the bottom and unless the user is going to hold the device upside down I figured there would also have to be an ear piece speaker...? I guess they could channel it up to the ear but a second smaller speaker seemed more likely.
All excellent points, except that I believe the 2017 J3 only has a single mono speaker (not stereo). So if the main speaker is shot, the sound goes kaput!:-\

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
You found the pics I was trying to find. The only ones I could find it looked like there was an S10 style grill on the bottom. So this being a truly one speaker device, yeah, you lose that one and it's a wrap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa