Why doesn't the create date correspond to the date in details? There is a 5 hour difference.

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I loaded my Mp4 video files into getmymetadata [dot] com and there is a 5 hour difference between the details date and the create date in the metadata. Anyone know why? The photos don't have this difference.

Last edited by a moderator:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Are these videos for evidence, copy right, patent or anything legal?

Not to be inconsiderate or anything, but I can't imagine why the time would matter? It's 5 hours, probably something to do with GMT, not a different year or even day. I'm just picturing 2 years from now someone going through the video's details and thinking 16:42 October 4, 2019? That's not possible they said they were at the grocery until 15:21, the timeline just doesn't add up.

Mhal201945

Nov 4, 2019
Visit site
Yes, I have recorded the video with the built in app. The create date is consistently 5 hours ahead in all video I reviewed on Sept 21. It is also 5 hours ahead on one video (didn't review all) on Sept 20 and another video dated months before. This leads me to presume the create date is wrong because there is an issue with Android or getmymetadata [dot] com.
Screenshot_20191103-161247_Gallery[1].jpg

File 415 metadata creation date.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Mhal201945

Nov 4, 2019
Visit site
Hi VldJunky,

There is one video that is VERY IMPORTANT. It is evidence of an entity/ghost at the Glensheen Mansion. I recently did an interview with a local TV station (look up Valley News Live Moorhead man captures spirit in google) and they did a TV segment where local ghost hunters and skeptics weighed in. They thought it was a hoax. Let me be very clear. I am not hoaxing. Since they thought it was a hoax, I wanted to send it to a cyber security company to see if I am being hoaxed by a hacker. They said it would cost $1500 dollars to analyze it. I didn't want to pay that kind of money, at least not at this point in time, so I decided to do a little research and find a way to look at the metadata.

So, after uploading at getmetadata.com, I noticed a difference between the create date and the details date, but this discrepancy is found in all the videos on my Note 8. I was really hoping I was hacked and hoaxed, but it doesn't look that way. Here is a timeline of events with create dates and detail dates.

timeline of events.JPG

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
When you're using the getmymetadata site, is the computer using a VPN, or connected to a public wi-fi hotspot? What happens if you look at the metadata using a PC's built-in file manager?

Mhal201945

Nov 4, 2019
Visit site
Hello B Diddy,

I am not familiar with metadata or processes associated with metadata, but to answer your question, I was connected to my personal wifi in my house.

How do I look at the metadata using a PCs built in file manager? Any help would be appreciated.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
On a PC, using Windows File Explorer, right-click the file, click Properties, then look at the Details tab for the "Media Created on" field. (Be aware that the General tab shows a different creation date/time -- the creation of the particular file, which means if you copied or downloaded the file to your computer, the creation date/time is when you did that.)

Mhal201945

Nov 4, 2019
Visit site
On a PC, using Windows File Explorer, right-click the file, click Properties, then look at the Details tab for the "Media Created on" field. (Be aware that the General tab shows a different creation date/time -- the creation of the particular file, which means if you copied or downloaded the file to your computer, the creation date/time is when you did that.)

Here is what is on the generals tab:

Windows 10 file explorer general details video 415.JPG

Mhal201945

Nov 4, 2019
Visit site
I am not sure if this has anything to do with the discrepancies in time stamps (not sure what to call them) but I turned on the automatic date & time yesterday after discovering a discrepancy between the details date and the create date on getmymetadata.com. It was not on before, but the correct time zone and time was displayed on the manual option in android.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
What version of Windows are you on? I'm on Windows 10 -- the Details on mine look a little different:

Screenshot (1).png

On yours, the "Date Authored" looks like the closest, but that's still an hour off. I wonder if the change from Daylight Savings Time to standard time might be part of that?

BTW, you can see that the filename has the correct date/time stamp, but that can obviously be edited easily.

Mhal201945

Nov 4, 2019
Visit site
What version of Windows are you on? I'm on Windows 10 -- the Details on mine look a little different:

View attachment 312708

On yours, the "Date Authored" looks like the closest, but that's still an hour off. I wonder if the change from Daylight Savings Time to standard time might be part of that?

BTW, you can see that the filename has the correct date/time stamp, but that can obviously be edited easily.

Here is the version of windows I am using:

Windows 10 addition.JPG

Question for you. If I move the file from camera folder to a specific folder, does that appear as modified date or no date is given for this particular action?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Good question, I'm not sure. I'm pretty sure that if you copy the file, or move it from phone to PC, the file creation date will be the date of the file operation (but that metadata of when the media was created should be unchanged). I'm not sure what happens when you move a file within the phone's own storage.

Mhal201945

Nov 4, 2019
Visit site
Good question, I'm not sure. I'm pretty sure that if you copy the file, or move it from phone to PC, the file creation date will be the date of the file operation (but that metadata of when the media was created should be unchanged). I'm not sure what happens when you move a file within the phone's own storage.

This is a side issue. Aside from the create date and modified date, would there be any other metadata which would show manipulation using video editing software? Or would one have to analyze the video and look for artifacts? This is going to be my next step. Would you know of any video software that could look for artifacts?

Mhal201945

Nov 4, 2019
Visit site
Another question, how can I preserve the original video? Will I have to keep the phone forever? Moving the file to other devices is making a copy right?

Sorry I am bombarding you with questions, but I don't have anyone who knows a ton about computers and files.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm afraid I don't know those answers. The problem these days is that it's relatively easy to edit media files (both the media itself and its metadata), if you have the right software and skills.

Moving a file to another device is making a copy, correct. You could back it up to cloud storage like Google Photos, which should still keep the media creation date.

Mhal201945

Nov 4, 2019
Visit site
I'm afraid I don't know those answers. The problem these days is that it's relatively easy to edit media files (both the media itself and its metadata), if you have the right software and skills.

Moving a file to another device is making a copy, correct. You could back it up to cloud storage like Google Photos, which should still keep the media creation date.

Any idea why the getmymetadata.com was showing a 5 hour difference between create date and author date/details date? Could we say getmymetadata.com isn't reliable and the windows file manager is reliable?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
A-ha! I think I figured it out -- the site is reporting the time in UTC (Universal Time Coordinated). The site you're using is get-metadata.com, right? (Not getmymetadata.) When I uploaded my video file, I also got a time differential -- but it's the same as the difference between UTC and Pacific Standard Time (my time zone) -- 8 hours. What time zone are you in?

Mhal201945

Nov 4, 2019
Visit site
A-ha! I think I figured it out -- the site is reporting the time in UTC (Universal Time Coordinated). The site you're using is get-metadata.com, right? (Not getmymetadata.) When I uploaded my video file, I also got a time differential -- but it's the same as the difference between UTC and Pacific Standard Time (my time zone) -- 8 hours. What time zone are you in?

OH GREAT CATCH!

Yes, get-metadata.com

I am central time zone, Moorhead, MN.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty