Customize Notifications?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Hi everyone,

I just switched to Android from iPhone. Specifically I have the Motorola G7 Power.

Overall I like the phone, especially the amazing battery life, and am satisfied with the Android experience. But I am frustrated with the notifications.

Specifically I am trying to setup the notifications for the messaging app Telegram. What I want is for there to be a dot next to the app icon when I have unread messages. As far as I can tell the options are either to have notifications completely on, which I don't want, or notifications completely off, which I also don't want.

On iPhone I could customize exactly how the notifications work, not just completely on or off. Is it really the case that with Android these can not be customized at all? Hopefully I am just doing something wrong and one of you smart people can enlighten me.

I did look for other questions about this issue, but couldn't find the exact same question.

Thank you in advance. Happy to provide more details if they will help.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to the forums. I'm not sure if I completely understand what you are trying to do. Do you mean getting a notification dot and an icon on your status bar but not getting a sound when new messages arrive? If so, this can be done in your general settings and in the Telegram app. You can even have different options for groups, channels and private chats.

I would recommend you to create an account so you can reply on this thread.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The default in Android is that the dot (or number if the phone does that) shows you that you have a notification for that app (not that you have, say, an unread message). If you use a launcher like Nova Launcher, instead of the stock launcher, you can set it to show just the number of items on the icon.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty