Google Chromecast 3rd Generation.

adonesc76

Jun 2, 2019
Visit site
With the launch of Disney Plus, and streaming in general fast becoming the preferred way to watch entertainment and other content, I wanted to ask a general question.

Is the Chromecast (specifically it's current incarnation, the 3rd generation) still worth buying?

I already have my Android smartphone and I have a tablet as well. In light of that, is Google Chromecast something useful? I mean I'd prefer to have the option to watch"The Mandalorian" on my TV than only the phone and tablet.

Is there a fourth generation of the Chromecast on the horizon?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Chromecast is still a very good buy...unless you're really into remotes for TV. And you have to make sure that the sources you want to watch ARE available for Chromecast (for instance, Apple TV+ isn't, as are a constantly-shrinking-yet-still-a-thing number of On-Demand channel sources).

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
On most Android devices, you can set the device to send content to a Chromecast, so anything you can watch on the device, you can watch on the TV. Is it still worth it? If you're in the US, I'd see what the Black Friday specials are, and get it the cheapest (plus sipping if it's being shipped) that I could. (It seems to be $35 at the moment, no matter where you get it.)

Is there going to be a 4th edition? Only the Google gods know that. (I'm still using my 1st edition and the 3rd edition doesn't really offer much [except 5GHz WiFi, but the Chromecast is about 3 feet from the router, so it doesn't matter to me].)

adonesc76

Jun 2, 2019
Visit site
On most Android devices, you can set the device to send content to a Chromecast, so anything you can watch on the device, you can watch on the TV. Is it still worth it? If you're in the US, I'd see what the Black Friday specials are, and get it the cheapest (plus sipping if it's being shipped) that I could. (It seems to be $35 at the moment, no matter where you get it.)

Is there going to be a 4th edition? Only the Google gods know that. (I'm still using my 1st edition and the 3rd edition doesn't really offer much [except 5GHz WiFi, but the Chromecast is about 3 feet from the router, so it doesn't matter to me].)

Thank you for your reply

adonesc76

Jun 2, 2019
Visit site
Chromecast is still a very good buy...unless you're really into remotes for TV. And you have to make sure that the sources you want to watch ARE available for Chromecast (for instance, Apple TV+ isn't, as are a constantly-shrinking-yet-still-a-thing number of On-Demand channel sources).

Thank you for answering.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87