Spyware/malicious app is still active after factory reset?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Someone I know put a malicious app on my Huawei p20 Pro so she could send the contents of my phone to herself, messages/ calls/other info.

I factory reset it but am not convinced its off and I have seen her since I have reset it and didn't keep my phone off or super secure I just tried to make sure data was off when I was using it and Bluetooth was.

The 'auto restore settings to apps when they are redownloaded' selection is on and I would like it off but it is ghosted . I've turned off display over other apps for everything I can but it's still ghosted.

The Systems UI app seems to have a lot of permission and I would really like to take it off my phone but cannot see a way to do it, there is no place to uninstall and there it doesn't appear on my screen with my other apps, only in settings, apps etc.

There are other things that look suspicious.
Is there anyway that malware/spyware/malicious sharing app can stay on my phones' hardware/software after factory reset?

If so, any solutions?
What can I do to keep it super secure from installing/sharing in the future.

Thanks for you're help.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
"System UI" is essentially the heart of your phone. Delete that, and you will have successfully created a very expensive paperweight.

The chances of you being hacked or having malware installed are about a million to 1 unless you've taken some very obvious and blundering steps to specifically allow it. Since I'm guessing you don't know much about phones (judging by wanting to remove a core app that is required to run the phone), my first suggestion is to stop looking about in the system apps so you aren't feeding your paranoia.

My second suggestion to hopefully alleviate your fears would be to read over this article, which goes over how secure Android is and the steps you'd have to take (and thus, should avoid) to get malware.

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3411440/android-security-scares.html

My third suggestion is if you are having specific problems with the functioning of your phone, then please register so you can respond and tell us your symptoms. Just because something is malfunctioning doesn't mean it's a malicious attack.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If "someone you know" put malware on your phone, then report that person to the authorities. Hacking another person is a crime. Or is this only suspicion or wild speculation?