Why does my phone keep randomly shutting off especially when i turn on my data?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Hello, I have a Blu studio mega (8.1.0), which I got last year.
Since year, my phone has been randomly shutting off. But, that was far in between occurances. Now, sometimes while using my phone it suddenly becomes very hot. Worse, now I turn on my data and about two minutes with it on, the phone suddenly shuts off. It especially does this when my phone is around 80-88%. And I have to plug it in to turn it on, cause if I don't it swiftly shuts off as soon as it turns on. Also, when I turn it on it comes on at a very low percentage, like 10% or even 1%. Overall once i turn on my data I have to plug in my phone to prevent it from shutting off. My phone has also recently done a security update. Don't know if that has anything to do with it. Can you please help?

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately it sounds like your battery is dying. There may be some other issues as well but given what you've described, those are all symptoms of a bad battery. There may have been a defect from the start if it has been dying randomly since you got the device or it may have started a year ago since you mentioned this happening over the past year. My feeling is that the battery is so weak the added strain of using data, turning on data creates a strain on the battery that I'll mention in a moment, and that quickly drops the charge to zero or near zero and the phone shuts down. Getting hot is a sign that there is an issue with the way the battery is discharging. If the device has water damage or the battery has bad cells this can cause resistance which results in heat and heat is a batteries worst enemy. Another sign that this is likely your battery dying is the rapid discharge. When batteries reach the end of their lives they may not display the charge they have accurately or the charge they display is based on what they can hold. So your battery may say that it is at full charge but that full charge is only 20% or 30% of what it could hold when it was in good health. Devices work harder when they are trying to acquire a data signal or when the data signal is weak. Honestly I cannot explain this any better but this is why many people switch to Airplane Mode when in poor signal areas to conserve battery.

I don't know much about your model but what I recommend is;

If the battery is removable, consider replacing it. Replacement batteries are usually not very expensive and having said that I wouldn't go with the cheapest battery you can find. That might likely put right back where you started, since the cheapest batteries are usually mass produced without quality standards, such as matched cells for one.

If the battery is not removable, consider the cost of having it replaced vs finding a new device. Since you've previously stated that you've had the device for at least a year any warranty is probably expired so having it repaired won't really matter, as most repairs void warranties. If you are inclined you could try to do this your self. Again no warranty to be concerned with. There are a lot of YouTube videos on battery replacement and while you may not find one specifically for the device you have I'm confident that you can find one for the same manufacturer that should give you enough information to perform the repair. This is not for everyone however.

Then there is always cutting your losses and buying a new device. If you replace the battery in either case is the cost of the replacement worth the expected life of the device vs when you planned to upgrade? If you felt you were going to keep the device for another year it might be worth it but maybe six months is not. If it's going to cost a third of the price of a new device to repair this one, would it be better to just get the new device? These are questions only you can answer for yourself.

If you would like to reply to this thread or have any additional questions, please use mustang7757's link and we'll be here.

Halia

Oct 28, 2016
Visit site
Another question. Based on what youve explained ; is this battery problem based on the customer's probability of over using the phone or would this be a factory issue?
I'm mainly asking seeing that I haven't had the phone long and haven't done much with it. ?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Another question. Based on what youve explained ; is this battery problem based on the customer's probability of over using the phone or would this be a factory issue?
I'm mainly asking seeing that I haven't had the phone long and haven't done much with it. ?
You bought this new ? Does it have warranty ?