SD Card Unsupported

nessbob72

Sep 6, 2018
Visit site
I'm asking here rather that a specific phone forum because this keeps happening with my Note 4 and my Xperia X5 I keep as a spare.
What keeps happening is after working fine for some time my phone suddenly decides the SD card is unsupported and needs formatting. If I chose to reformat it it tries then says Card couldn't be formatted try again. Later when I put the in my SD reader on my laptop it can't format it either.
It happened first of all with my Note 4 when it crashed big time so using the X5 I bought a new card and used it ok for about a week till it happened again. The Note 4 is typically tempermental bordering on unstable but the X5 despite it's age is stable as a rock. All 4 SanDisk cards I have bought this month have gone the same way. The last one this morning in the Note 4,it was bought last friday.
What do I store. Images, photos, podcast episodes and videos I make of my guitar playing using my laptops webcam. I also direct any app data I can to the external card to save storage in internal memory.
Any ideas what the hell is going on?
I get the idea it maybe my laptop is the common factor but that's a sense, gut feeling pretty much based on nothing,

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Did you buy these cards from the same place? If so, was it a big retailer, or was it a random online seller? Counterfeit cards are still a big problem, and you're more likely to get counterfeit cards from places that aren't well-known.

If the cards were all from a well-established retailer, then it might be the Note 4 that's causing the problem. I recall a while back that certain Samsung devices were more prone to causing SD card corruption, but I can't remember if the Note 4 was one of the common culprits. Let me ask around.