04-15-2020 08:04 PM
31 12
tools
    Hey all, I need some help with my used tablet I just purchased.

I use my tablet with Doordash as a dasher. Every time I launch the app, I get the following popup message bar at the bottom of my screen. It says the following:

"Please turn on "Automatic date & time" and "Automatic time zone" *CHECK*.

The issue is, I have already turned on these options. The Time Zone is set correctly, etc. I even tried setting the time manually and I still can't resolve the issue.

The tablet is only WiFi enabled.

The tablet is a Samsung Tab S2, with Android 7.0 running on it.

Is there someway to create a workaround for this issue? Can I install a custom ROM or something to fool this error message?

I was thinking about replacing this tablet if I can't fix this issue. Would buying a WiFi & LTE enabled Samsung Tablet resolve this issue I'm having? Would I have to put data on a LTE enabled tablet to remove the error message?
    04-09-2020 08:46 PM
    I think that's your issue being on wifi , it will probably connect and disconnect at times , while a sim card on a phone uses data if no wifi present to keep updated
    04-09-2020 08:56 PM
    I think that's your issue being on wifi , it will probably connect and disconnect at times , while a sim card on a phone uses data if no wifi present to keep updated
    The tablet is still showing the error while in the house on a stable network. Another thing is, I'm using the tablet in my car off the hotspot from my phone. In both cases, it's the same result.

Could it also be because the app isn't seeing a time set by a "network" IE: cellular, rather than WiFi connection?
    04-09-2020 08:58 PM
    The tablet is still showing the error while in the house on a stable network. Another thing is, I'm using the tablet in my car off the hotspot from my phone. In both cases, it's the same result.

Could it also be because the app isn't seeing a time set by a "network" IE: cellular, rather than WiFi connection?
    Yeah thats strange then , you try resetting network in settings?
    04-09-2020 09:01 PM
    I just tried that now. It didn't help.

Maybe I just try a factory reset on the whole device (I'm trying that now).
    04-09-2020 09:07 PM
    I just tried that now. It didn't help.

Maybe I just try a factory reset on the whole device.
    I'm not sure if that will help , you can If you don't mind and can have a peace of mind to say it fixed or didn't fix the issue.
    04-09-2020 09:09 PM
    I'm not sure if that will help , you can If you don't mind and can have a peace of mind to say it fixed or didn't fix the issue.
    If all of this fails, do you think if I bought a LTE version of a Samsung tablet I can use it on WiFi only and not get this annoying error message?
    04-09-2020 09:15 PM
    If all of this fails, do you think if I bought a LTE version of a Samsung tablet I can use it on WiFi only and not get this annoying error message?
    I think so but you have to have data on it as a fallback
    04-09-2020 09:17 PM
    I think so but you have to have data on it as a fallback
    Ok. The restore didn't work.

I'm going to have to get a tablet that's LTE enabled to try this out. It's too much of a hassle to dismiss the message multiple times while using it while driving.
    mustang7757 likes this.
    04-09-2020 09:31 PM
    Ok. The restore didn't work.

I'm going to have to get a tablet that's LTE enabled to try this out. It's too much of a hassle to dismiss the message multiple times while using it while driving.
    Yeah , don't blame you
    04-09-2020 09:34 PM
    Did you install the app from the Play Store, or from somewhere else? I'm guessing that the app is intended for a phone (which has a cell signal, and therefore has the Automatic Date/Time option -- you need a cell signal for that, not wi-fi), so it might give this error on any device without a cell signal.
    04-09-2020 09:43 PM
    Did you install the app from the Play Store, or from somewhere else? I'm guessing that the app is intended for a phone (which has a cell signal, and therefore has the Automatic Date/Time option -- you need a cell signal for that, not wi-fi), so it might give this error on any device without a cell signal.
    How about a tablet with data be fine?
    04-09-2020 09:51 PM
    Yes, Google Play store.

It's weird that even though the tablet has those Automatic Time options, the app won't accept it via WiFi.
    04-10-2020 05:44 AM
    How about a tablet with data be fine?
    I was trying to avoid paying for data because I'm only using the tablet to accept orders and use Google Maps while driving. When I get out of the car, I just launch the app on my phone. I would have soley used my OnePlus for all of this, but the App doesn't play nicely with Android Auto. It causes a lot of glitches, etc.

I just took the SIM card out of my phone and the app didn't produce the same error while on WiFi. Could this be because I'm on a newer version of Android (10.0)? Or does the cellular internals provide time even though data is not activated?
    04-10-2020 06:31 AM
    From what I have read, you need mobile data. Additionally it seems to eat up (no pun intended) a lot of data
    04-10-2020 06:34 AM
    From what I have read, you need mobile data. Additionally it seems to eat up (no pun intended) a lot of data
    I used the app successfully without mobile data, but it was on my phone with the sim out.
    04-10-2020 06:37 AM
    It's possible the app looks to see if the device has the ability to sync with online time servers. As you can see that is guess. I think it would be an idea to look for support from the app developer
    04-10-2020 07:12 AM
    I was trying to avoid paying for data because I'm only using the tablet to accept orders and use Google Maps while driving. When I get out of the car, I just launch the app on my phone. I would have soley used my OnePlus for all of this, but the App doesn't play nicely with Android Auto. It causes a lot of glitches, etc.

I just took the SIM card out of my phone and the app didn't produce the same error while on WiFi. Could this be because I'm on a newer version of Android (10.0)? Or does the cellular internals provide time even though data is not activated?
    I'm not sure then, data is definitely going be needed.
    04-10-2020 09:29 AM
    It's weird that even though the tablet has those Automatic Time options, the app won't accept it via WiFi.
    Does it also have an Automatic Time Zone option? From what I recall, tablets can get the date/time automatically from a wi-fi network, but can't get the time zone since that's what requires a cell connection.
    04-10-2020 12:52 PM
    Does it also have an Automatic Time Zone option? From what I recall, tablets can get the date/time automatically from a wi-fi network, but can't get the time zone since that's what requires a cell connection.
    Time is from the wifi network. I have one of these tabs
    04-10-2020 12:55 PM
    Time is from the wifi network. I have one of these tabs
    Just to be sure -- Automatic Time, or Automatic Time Zone? My tablets only allow manual selection of the time zone (although admittedly, the two tablets I have are stuck on Oreo -- a Lenovo Tab 4 8 and a Pixel C).
    04-10-2020 01:10 PM
    On my Tablet, it's one option that enables/disables BOTH of those. Time zone is separate.

"Automatic date and time"
    Enabled.

"Select time zone"
    Eastern Standard Time.

Both of these are set correctly.
    04-10-2020 02:19 PM
    Below automatic date and time mine shows. "use network provided time"
    04-10-2020 03:14 PM
    I believe that's different from being able to determine the time zone. I'm not sure why time zone can only be determine using a cell signal -- maybe because wi-fi networks can be routed through servers in different time zones?
    04-10-2020 03:18 PM
    Do you have a different OS? I don't have that option. Are you on a model with LTE? Mine is the WiFi only model.
    04-10-2020 03:40 PM
31 12