Samsung Tab S2 Android 7.0 App Saying I need to turn on Automatic date & time

marker227

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Hey all, I need some help with my used tablet I just purchased.

I use my tablet with Doordash as a dasher. Every time I launch the app, I get the following popup message bar at the bottom of my screen. It says the following:

"Please turn on "Automatic date & time" and "Automatic time zone" *CHECK*.

The issue is, I have already turned on these options. The Time Zone is set correctly, etc. I even tried setting the time manually and I still can't resolve the issue.

The tablet is only WiFi enabled.

The tablet is a Samsung Tab S2, with Android 7.0 running on it.

Is there someway to create a workaround for this issue? Can I install a custom ROM or something to fool this error message?

I was thinking about replacing this tablet if I can't fix this issue. Would buying a WiFi & LTE enabled Samsung Tablet resolve this issue I'm having? Would I have to put data on a LTE enabled tablet to remove the error message?

Last edited:

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I think that's your issue being on wifi , it will probably connect and disconnect at times , while a sim card on a phone uses data if no wifi present to keep updated

marker227

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I think that's your issue being on wifi , it will probably connect and disconnect at times , while a sim card on a phone uses data if no wifi present to keep updated

The tablet is still showing the error while in the house on a stable network. Another thing is, I'm using the tablet in my car off the hotspot from my phone. In both cases, it's the same result.

Could it also be because the app isn't seeing a time set by a "network" IE: cellular, rather than WiFi connection?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
The tablet is still showing the error while in the house on a stable network. Another thing is, I'm using the tablet in my car off the hotspot from my phone. In both cases, it's the same result.

Could it also be because the app isn't seeing a time set by a "network" IE: cellular, rather than WiFi connection?
Yeah thats strange then , you try resetting network in settings?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Did you install the app from the Play Store, or from somewhere else? I'm guessing that the app is intended for a phone (which has a cell signal, and therefore has the Automatic Date/Time option -- you need a cell signal for that, not wi-fi), so it might give this error on any device without a cell signal.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Did you install the app from the Play Store, or from somewhere else? I'm guessing that the app is intended for a phone (which has a cell signal, and therefore has the Automatic Date/Time option -- you need a cell signal for that, not wi-fi), so it might give this error on any device without a cell signal.
How about a tablet with data be fine?

marker227

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site

Yes, Google Play store.

It's weird that even though the tablet has those Automatic Time options, the app won't accept it via WiFi.

marker227

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
How about a tablet with data be fine?

I was trying to avoid paying for data because I'm only using the tablet to accept orders and use Google Maps while driving. When I get out of the car, I just launch the app on my phone. I would have soley used my OnePlus for all of this, but the App doesn't play nicely with Android Auto. It causes a lot of glitches, etc.

I just took the SIM card out of my phone and the app didn't produce the same error while on WiFi. Could this be because I'm on a newer version of Android (10.0)? Or does the cellular internals provide time even though data is not activated?

anon(10614692)

Jun 26, 2019
Visit site
It's possible the app looks to see if the device has the ability to sync with online time servers. As you can see that is guess. I think it would be an idea to look for support from the app developer

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I was trying to avoid paying for data because I'm only using the tablet to accept orders and use Google Maps while driving. When I get out of the car, I just launch the app on my phone. I would have soley used my OnePlus for all of this, but the App doesn't play nicely with Android Auto. It causes a lot of glitches, etc.

I just took the SIM card out of my phone and the app didn't produce the same error while on WiFi. Could this be because I'm on a newer version of Android (10.0)? Or does the cellular internals provide time even though data is not activated?
I'm not sure then, data is definitely going be needed.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It's weird that even though the tablet has those Automatic Time options, the app won't accept it via WiFi.

Does it also have an Automatic Time Zone option? From what I recall, tablets can get the date/time automatically from a wi-fi network, but can't get the time zone since that's what requires a cell connection.