Comparing TP to HP Touchpad with CM9

danan

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
Hi,
I just ordered a transformer prime for my dad.
It got here and of course I wanted to try it our right away to see if it had any connectivity issues.

It did have some minor bleeding at the edge of the screen that I noticed but I don't think its a deal breaker. I've certainly seen worse.

I didn't try the GPS at all.

I did use wifi analyzer and found that the touchpad with CM9 Alpha 0.5 was consistently 15+ dBm better. I walked around the house a little and found that this stayed like that. At a certain point, relatively far away from the router, i'm talking about 3 rooms away, the prime lost internet while the touchpad kept working. This concerns me.

But what concerns me more, is that the touchpad running buggy software loads webpages faster and more consistently. I don't know if this is because the prime has buggy software or if the wifi is just inconsistent, but I don't like it. Often the prime will start loading and just freeze. I would love to know if this is a permanent issue for the prime, meaning hardware rather than just software. Even scrolling and pinch to zoom was significantly smoother on the touchpad than on the transformer prime.

So at this point I am seriously considering returning it. I would much rather get the TF700 for my dad in any case although I am not optimistic about how much time taht will take to come out.

In the end, I don't like the fact that I am finding a webos device with a dual core running experimental software running better than a quad core tablet built for ICS.

So it seems wifi is working ok now on the Prime but I worry that it is inconsistent. It certainly is weaker.

Thanks and I look forward to your thoughts.

stussy2870

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
wow, i have both of those as well and i can clearly see my Transformer is MUCH faster than the hp-TP. I love the hp, its really receptive to rooting, cyanogenmod's etc etc.. but the Prime (at least mine) very definitively outperforms my hp-tp.

Oddly enough, my hpTP had the Wifi issues- had to send it back to HP, even bough a new Router which seems to have resolved it. I think that signal strength does lean a little towards the hp-tp but i think thats just b/c of the the aluminim casing on the Prime.

I havent done the wifi analyzer test but my prime has reliable and stable wifi throughout my home so i never really needed to try that.

Good luck getting your issues worked out.

stoneworrior

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
wow, i have both of those as well and i can clearly see my Transformer is MUCH faster than the hp-TP. I love the hp, its really receptive to rooting, cyanogenmod's etc etc.. but the Prime (at least mine) very definitively outperforms my hp-tp.

Oddly enough, my hpTP had the Wifi issues- had to send it back to HP, even bough a new Router which seems to have resolved it. I think that signal strength does lean a little towards the hp-tp but i think thats just b/c of the the aluminim casing on the Prime.

I havent done the wifi analyzer test but my prime has reliable and stable wifi throughout my home so i never really needed to try that.

Good luck getting your issues worked out.

I bought a 32gb grey from best buy as soon as they came available. I had a pre order from amazon but my ship date changed from late January to "we will let you know" so that is why I jumped on the best 32gb Prime. Turns out three days later my Amazon model shipped and it is a 64gb model. So what I found was my 32 gb model had poor wifi signal from my ground floor of my home (Router is on 2nd floor) when my phone worked great. So i get my 64gb Prime and my wifi was significantly better but the external speaker sounds like crap. Voices in music sound like they are in a tunnel but the 32gb versions speaker sounds great. I am keeping my 65gb Prime and returning the 32 it just seems to me ASUS is having a hard time keeping production and quality up at the same time. I still love this tab I just wish ASUS could get it together.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87