Constant random reboots since ICS

mknollman123

Frugal Nerd Tinkerer
Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Same here. Failed after 30+ hours, and nothing else I have done has reliably eliminated the problem, either. I don't think it's really meaningful whether one person or another is successful or not with the Factory Data Resets. They may help temporarily remove the results of the underlying problem, but they are rarely a true solution.There are ample posts on a variety of forums that might lead us to conclude that the resets help, and that they don't help.

I really doubt that any of us really understands the underlying root cause for this problem, and we are all just trying anything we can to find a solution, even though almost all of us (myself included), lack the diagnostic resources, or the skill sets necessary to determine the real cause. This problem will most likely be resolved when ASUS releases an update to the release - in the meantime, we will continue, out of our shared frustration, to try to establish cause and effect correlations from our observations.

this is NOT a dig - but are you a Vulcan? - that may have been the most perfect example of logic covering frustration I have ever seen - Spock would be proud

PS - I did a HR this evening - thought it was worth a shot and with app backup it was cake.

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
this is NOT a dig - but are you a Vulcan? - that may have been the most perfect example of logic covering frustration I have ever seen - Spock would be proud

PS - I did a HR this evening - thought it was worth a shot and with app backup it was cake.

Nope, not me, although I can do that hand gesture, and my ears - well, nevermind.:D

Last edited:

smccloud

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Locked up twice today. Once on my wife when she was using it and once when she was on her way home (or after). Had 47% charge left but I still had to plug it in to get it to turn on tonight :(

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

fldude99

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site

What method did you use for the hard reset? Did you reinstall everything from the built in app backup?

roblee37

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
I finally had to do a factory reset through settings cause I use mine for school, and so far since Friday, I have not had one reboot. I only reloaded the apps I need for school, but have not had issues, runs pretty good now actually.

jchapman01

May 8, 2010
Visit site
I reset mine about 2 days ago and I haven't had one issue so far. I only restored the apps that I actually use and left the rest off. I plan on leaving it that way for a week or two and start adding back the other apps to see how things go. An interesting note: there were several apps that gave an error when trying to install. I left those off too.

Azman432

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Update from my HR. Day 4. Everything is well and running well. Smoother nicier. Battery is awesome. 10% loss overnight or 12 hours, which in linear terms would last 4 days without charging, i.e. no gaming no browsing, just satdnby; and with wifi, alarm ON. No random reboot so far. So teh way I did the HR was to first back up my photos, docs etc in the SD. Do HR in the setting, and after reboot, install all my 100 apps from google server.

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Update from my HR. Day 4. Everything is well and running well. Smoother nicier. Battery is awesome. 10% loss overnight or 12 hours, which in linear terms would last 4 days without charging, i.e. no gaming no browsing, just satdnby; and with wifi, alarm ON. No random reboot so far. So teh way I did the HR was to first back up my photos, docs etc in the SD. Do HR in the setting, and after reboot, install all my 100 apps from google server.

Good to hear things are going so well for your TF.

It might not be important to you, but you might consider looking a bit deeper into your discharge rate, though. Assuming you are docked, and your 10% loss calculation over 12 hours is based on the overall battery capacity, I think that discharge rate ideally could be much lower. I've been observing approximately 0.2% per hour, over quite a few sets of readings in the same circumstances your described, and those readings were pretty consistent before and after the ICS update, as long as Deep Sleep was maintained. Is it possible your TF isn't going completely into Deep Sleep mode? You probably already know about this, but you can use the CPU Spy to monitor that behavior.

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I was getting frequent reboots. I uninstalled Plume (twitter client) yesterday and have not had a problem since. I still get the "process android.media has stopped" messages twice when it boots up, but that's it.

Just a followup on my own results, after having removed Plume last night. I had a reboot today, about 16 hours after I removed the app, so it didn't seem to resolve my issue.

mknollman123

Frugal Nerd Tinkerer
Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
What method did you use for the hard reset? Did you reinstall everything from the built in app backup?

Did my HR from the settings area after doing a backup - then restored from the built-in app - going strong so far.

Also, for the gentleman with the overnight discharge (he he he) - I tend to turn off my wifi when I know I will not be using my device for a while. I unplugged this morning at about 445 AM (horrible I know) and didnt end up using my TF until about 30 min ago at 6PM - unusual but not unheard of day without using it - I was still at 100%.

I know that for some people this defeats the purpose but for me, i do not mind the 2 seconds to tap the bottom right and turn wifi back on - makes my battery last days longer (as long as my TF does not go all mongloid** and get stuck in boot draining my battery in a manner or hours - but hopefully the above-mentioned HR fixed this)

** apparently this forum blocks the word ret@rd - who knew

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm probably the only person in the world who has never used Facebook, so I can't confirm this for myself, but it was reported today by Jamesdroid85 on XDA that:

"This was just posted on Asus's UK facebook page

ASUS United Kingdom
Thank you to everyone who has given us feedback regarding the ICS TF101 update.We apologise for the issues some users have been experiencing and we'd like to assure you all that we are working on a fix. We don't have an exact date for release yet but we're aiming for early next week."

I have no reason to doubt him, and I certainly hope that ASUS really has made this acknowledgement and commitment, and that we really can expect a fix of the root cause of the ICS issue/s soon. Can any Facebook devotees here verify the post?

Update: I just realized that the OP has had only 1 posting on that forum, having joined in March 2012, which makes verification of the purported Facebook post more important, I think.

Last edited:

jchapman01

May 8, 2010
Visit site
I haven't had any issues since my heard reset, but I hope this is true. I've always heard that Asus has a great history of providing quick updates and customer service. Enough so that I bought the Transformer and their N53SV-B1 laptop and over all I've been very happy. ASUS DON'T LET US DOWN.

garyf33

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm probably the only person in the world who has never used Facebook, so I can't confirm this for myself, but it was reported today by Jamesdroid85 on XDA that:

"This was just posted on Asus's UK facebook page

ASUS United Kingdom
Thank you to everyone who has given us feedback regarding the ICS TF101 update.We apologise for the issues some users have been experiencing and we'd like to assure you all that we are working on a fix. We don't have an exact date for release yet but we're aiming for early next week."

I have no reason to doubt him, and I certainly hope that ASUS really has made this acknowledgement and commitment, and that we really can expect a fix of the root cause of the ICS issue/s soon. Can any Facebook devotees here verify the post?

Update: I just realized that the OP has had only 1 posting on that forum, having joined in March 2012, which makes verification of the purported Facebook post more important, I think.

After checking Asus's United Kingdom Facebook page I found what was posted above. They posted it yesterday at 6:37am

Reactions: vicw926a4

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
After checking Asus's United Kingdom Facebook page I found what was posted above. They posted it yesterday at 6:37am

Thanks for verifying that. The statement from ASUS, in addition to a similar comment that ASUS support included in a response to another OP, posted in another recent thread, are enough to convince me that I will stop trying to find workarounds or solutions and just cope for the next week or two, until the ASUS fix is available.

I'll keep the TF on the charger, or powered down, when not in use for extended periods until then to avoid an exhausted battery.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

trulaker9

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Also have been experiencing the random reboots and hangs while using browser since the ICS update. The facebook post is encouraging.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Tapatalk

mknollman123

Frugal Nerd Tinkerer
Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
NO reboots since my hard reset- thinking this might have fixed it as I am past 48 hours now with no issues.

TBH - I am glad I did it - I have a rule on PC's that I will not upgrade in place to a new version unless it is just a point release. I know we are supposed to be al "post-PC era" here but it seems to me that it makes sense to get a fresh start every year or so. Not saying this is an excuse for Asus - if they offer in place they need to support it - but for me the HR was just what the doctor ordered.

smccloud

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
NO reboots since my hard reset- thinking this might have fixed it as I am past 48 hours now with no issues.

TBH - I am glad I did it - I have a rule on PC's that I will not upgrade in place to a new version unless it is just a point release. I know we are supposed to be al "post-PC era" here but it seems to me that it makes sense to get a fresh start every year or so. Not saying this is an excuse for Asus - if they offer in place they need to support it - but for me the HR was just what the doctor ordered.

Glad the HR worked for you. Didn't for me :(

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Glad the HR worked for you. Didn't for me :(

Me either. Doing the Factory Reset is a good practice, but it obviously has not worked for all of our devices. Meanwhile, ASUS has acknowledged that there is a problem with the ICS release, and said that they will provide an update to resolve it. I think we should all be encouraged by that.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Azman432

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

I spoke too soon again. It happened again. Day 6 the reboot occured again. From 99% battery at 10pm last night down to 20% at 6.30 am today. I had to again do a hard reset.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ecstasy89