Still using OG Transformer. Should I upgrade to Infinity Pad 700?

bfk394

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Right now I'm using my original Asus Transformer, and I just love it. But, the new Transformer Infinity looks amazing, and I'm mostly drawn into the Tegra 3 processor, full HD screen, and overall slimmer design.

Should I sell my old tablet/keyboard combo and get the latest and greatest in Android tablets?

Has anyone else already upgraded from OG to Infinity, and if so, any regrets?

KillerG

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
Re: Still using OG Transformer. Should I upgrade to Infinity Pad

I see a lot of people that want to trade their OG Transformers for the Infinity. It's a great device from what I can tell, so it's really up to you if you want the updated features or not.

Bamm83

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site

Right now I'm using my original Asus Transformer, and I just love it. But, the new Transformer Infinity looks amazing, and I'm mostly drawn into the Tegra 3 processor, full HD screen, and overall slimmer design.

Should I sell my old tablet/keyboard combo and get the latest and greatest in Android tablets?

Has anyone else already upgraded from OG to Infinity, and if so, any regrets?

I would trade up now if you can. Sooner or later, with the Nexus 7 and Prime (dropping in price), you won't be able to get much for your O.G. Transformer. I say do it. The screen resolution and Tegra 3 will be able to produce for at least another 2 years. It's "near future" proof in that regard. The O.G. Transformer is quite good still, but I would make the jump to make sure future O.S. will be updated.

wmurch3

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
I am wondering the same thing myself. Having a high def phobe display (evo 4g LTE) makes the transformers display seem fuzzy. I am about 90% sure I will upgrade if the price is right. Also I got a sweet deal on this transformer ($220) which means I might make my money back when I sell it.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

KillerG

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site

I am wondering the same thing myself. Having a high def phobe display (evo 4g LTE) makes the transformers display seem fuzzy. I am about 90% sure I will upgrade if the price is right. Also I got a sweet deal on this transformer ($220) which means I might make my money back when I sell it.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

The display was really great on the Prime when I looked at it. Then I looked at the iPad screen and the Prime screen looked like crap lol. Apple got one thing right on that thing, getting Samsung to make an awesome screen. But once I pumped up some of the brightness, the Prime looked just fine. And from my understanding, the Infinity screen is amazing as well. I really want the power myself, that's going to be probably the biggest thing between the OG and Infinity.

ba4g

May 22, 2012
Visit site

I'm not 100% on my Prime, while its all eye candy, working on it as a lap top replacement is not as smooth as I hoped for. Not convinced this one is going to be that much better...good luck. Maybe Jelly Bean makes these what they should be.

Nex2knotN

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site

While my Prime was great I upgraded to the Infinity. They really tweaked the Infinity and listen to some of the suggestions from the Prime users. The Super IPS+ is to die for. I thought the Prime screen was great, but the Infinity kills it especially when watching HD videos. I just don't care for where they move the volume switches on the Infinity compared to the Prime, but the other port location changes including improving the flushed microSD slot now makes it harder to accidentally lose the microSD card. I'm also glad I can still use my extra adapters for the Prime on the Infinity. Now if I can only find a good case like I have for the Prime I'm golden.

IMO these current tablets are not meant to be laptop replacements. They are great supplements to a laptop and the portability makes them even more inviting than netbooks. At the end of the day it all depends on what you want out of it to make that decision.

njgsx96

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site

I upgraded from the TF101 to the TF700 and can say it is a worthy upgrade. The screen is great and the tablet overall is gorgeous. It is a lot faster than the TF101 as well. Everything loads faster and overall is much quicker and snappier. I only had the 16GB TF101 and was constantly running out of space (These games are getting huge!) so that was a big plus for me as well, getting more onboard storage.

ba4g

May 22, 2012
Visit site

You know, the upgrade likley won't work any smoother than the TF201..

Also while the screen maybe geat, watching somewhat less than super HD content on my new Ipad sucks compared to the Tf201 screen..which is just right.

Unibrow

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't, the OG transformer does everything the new Infinity can do. My father and Aunt both have the OG transformer and I find that the Infinity is more comfortable to hold but if I had the OG I'd wait for at least the next generation.

I find the Infinity's battery to be less than stellar, but perhaps my expectations of it are too high. There's also notorious screen/glass separation issues and there's apps that just don't work with the Infinity's higher resolution screen, NBA jam comes to mind and until very recently Draw Something. Dust under the screen is still an issue, I just had a HUGE piece of dust under that gorgeous screen that appeared magically and just as magically disappeared and was pretty pissed about it while it was there, near the hdmi input. The other thing is I find games sometimes crash and I'll have to do a tablet restart to get it to run stuff correctly although this doesn't happen very often and happens less often if I go into developer options and set maximum processes to 4.

Don't get me wrong, I think the TF700 is a huge upgrade over the TF101 and I'm overall pretty happy with it but if you're happy with the TF101 then I'd wait for the next generation because I feel like this thing would run a lot better had it had more ram. I've also not used a TF101 for any length of time where I'd be able to compare battery life but I'd say I usually get around 4-6hours of screen time on with the tablet balanced mode. Games seem to run just fine set to powersavings mode too, for the most part aside from something like Dead Trigger. That also reminds me, You CANNOT use the PS3 controller over bluetooth unless you root your tablet and buy the ps3 controller app from the play store. Unlike the Prime, TF300 and TF101 the Infinity TF700 does not have the driver necessary. So, for what's it's worth, that's another strike against the TF700.

*edit* Also, the headphone jack is in the ABSOLUTE WORST PLACE EVER on the TF700. Lower left side where you'd be holding the tablet. /shrug.

*edit2* Forgot to mention, the screen really is THAT much nicer though. Aside from the resolution difference, colors are vastly more vivid compared to the other Transformers.

Last edited:

GPilot650

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
I agree with everything Unibrow says, except the headphone jack being in a bad place. The og transformer has the jack in the top right in landscape, and the wire often pulled over onto the screen. I watch a lot of movies while traveling and i like the input low on the tab so as to not interfere with viewing.

My only gripe is the Infinity has been sluggish. I cold boot almost everyday now. Trying to figure out if it's a specific app bogging it down, but as of yet, ive found nothing.

Hoping JB fixes it.

G

vicnice02

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site

I agree, just returned mine yesterday. The UI on the tablet was very slow and buggy.

If I was you, I would wait for the tablet to get updated to Jelly Bean and see how it runs then.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress