Disable Unread Count Badge on Gmail

DJ Loco

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
Hi all!

Could someone please show me how to disable the unread count badge on the Gmail icon on my Zenfone 2 ZE551ML? This is what my screen currently looks like:

zenfone2.jpg

See the badge that says 999+ unread emails? This never happens on my Samsung J7 with the exact same Gmail account:

samsung.jpg

Nor did it happen on my old HTC or Lenovo.

Please don't tell me to mark them all as 'Read'; I like to keep them that way. And please don't tell me to disable the Badge for all apps because I'd like to keep it on my WhatsApp or any other messaging apps. Is there any way to disable it ONLY for Gmail?

And yes, I have looked here to no avail; I can disable it for WhatsApp or BBM or Yahoo Messenger, but nothing else:

zenfone2-2.jpg

Would I need to resort to a third party launcher? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I can't find a way to turn it off for the Gmail app only on my ZenFone 2. One workaround is to use QuickShortcutMaker to create a new Gmail shortcut that won't use ZenUI's unread count badge. The icon will still look the same as the actual Gmail icon.

DJ Loco

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
Hi you can go to settings => App's => Gmail => untick remove notification.
You mean this?

zenfone2-3.jpg

If I did then I would not have any notifications at all, not even on the status bar, which would be a shame. I still need to know when new emails come in; I just did not want the unread count badge on the Gmail icon. That's all. Thanks anyway.

mlmeloy

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
In the preferences (long press the home screen), there is a place to turn it off (look under "badges"), but I think it's all or nothing. I don't think you can turn it off just for one app.

Posted via the Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The OP mentioned this in the first post, and actually has a screenshot of that menu. You are correct, it's all or none, which is not what the OP wanted. The QuickShortcutMaker app that was suggested seemed to be a satisfactory solution.

DJ Loco

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
In the preferences (long press the home screen), there is a place to turn it off (look under "badges"), but I think it's all or nothing. I don't think you can turn it off just for one app.

Posted via the Android Central App
Unfortunately, it is all or nothing. So no luck there.

The OP mentioned this in the first post, and actually has a screenshot of that menu. You are correct, it's all or none, which is not what the OP wanted. The QuickShortcutMaker app that was suggested seemed to be a satisfactory solution.
Absolutely. At least for me it is. Here's what home screen looks like after using QuickShortcutMaker:

zenfone2-4.jpg

Clean Gmail icon! Yaaay! And here's Gmail in the app drawer, still with the badge:

zenfone2-5.jpg

which doesn't bother me because I don't access the drawer very often so it is mostly out of sight.

Plus, rumor has it that Android N will make the drawer's visibility optional. Not that I would be a fan of that concept. I want my android phone to look like an android phone, not an iPhone. The badge concept is intrusive enough (even if useful) for me. Again, that's probably just me though.

mralansmith

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
I have an ASUS ZENFONE 3 MAX with Android 6.0

I can change badges separately for each app.

I swipe up from home screen to get to the Manage Home options, select Preferences, select Unread Counts Badge, then select individual apps.

Arikiis

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you...
Finally I understood how to turn it on... (used to work for me, and then it disappeared... and all I saw was suggestions for third party apps to add it in. I have Zenfone 2).
Thanks!