[TIPS] Nookie Froyo tips & Work-arounds

Will Shanklin

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
The following are frequently asked questions after burning Nookie Froyo ROM onto an SD card.

1. The touchscreen is very slow and unresponsive! Do I need a faster SD card?

While higher-class SD cards will improve your overall performance, touchscreen lag likely has nothing to do with your SD card. Simply turn the screen off, then back on. See how much better that is? Just do that every time you reboot to fix the screen lag.

2. Many apps aren't showing up for me in the Market! WHAT DO I DO????

While this still won't show ALL apps, doing the following will certainly help you to find MORE apps in the Market:

Open Root Explorer, navigate to system/, mount as r-w, and open build.prop in a text editor. Find the line that starts with ro.build.fingerprint= and change it to the following:

ro.build.fingerprint=verizon/voles/sholes/sholes:2.1-update1/ESE81/29593:user/release-keys

Now from your homescreen, hit Menu>settings>Applications>Manage Applications>All, and find Market. Select clear cache, and then force stop. Then, still under All, find Google Services Framework, and hit wipe data, and then force stop. Reboot, and many more apps should show up!

3. When I connect the nook to my computer, all Windows shows is some boot files. Can't I drag/drop files onto it like I can on on the stock ROM?

Windows typically doesn't show all partitions, which is why you're only seeing boot and some random B&N folders.

The easiest way to transfer files to the SD card partition (the part of your SD that Android reads as an SD card) is to get a market app called Browsix Lite (free):

- start Browsix Lite on your nook (then name your device and start the service)

- navigate to browsix.com on your desktop

- select the name of your nook, and select files

As long as you're on the same wifi network, you can use this to upload and download files between your desktop and NOOKcolor . . . no cables necessary!

4. Will this affect the stock ROM in any way? ...and what about the stock ROM backups that I made with ClockworkMod Recovery?

It won't affect anything on the nook's internal memory (aside from some minor cache files, which should be completely inconsequential). If you used clockwork to make a backup, just keep the SD card (or a backup of it) that the backup was saved onto, and you'll be able to return to it by removing the Nookie SD and popping that one in.

5. So I can pop the SD in anytime to run Nookie Froyo, and take it out anytime to boot the nook off of the internal memory?

Yep!

6. I heard that using an SD card over 2GB is a waste of space for Nookie Froyo. Is that true?

No, that was reported early on before the following work-around was known:
You can use partition manager software to expand the SD Card partition (the part of the SD card that Android reads as an actual SD card for storage) to include all of the remaining space.

For Windows, we used EASEUS partition manager (free) and it's very easy:

- connect your already-burned nookie froyo SD to your computer

- open EASEUS

- select the SD card

- select the SD card partition on the sd card (partition #4)

- right-click, and select resize/move

- drag the slider all the way over to the right to cover the remainder of the free space

- Apply

Now your SD card will use any "extra" space (apart from the boot/system/data files for the ROM) for traditional SD card storage!

For Mac, gparted is another oft-regarded program that can do the same thing.

7. Does Adobe Flash work on Nookie Froyo?

Yes! Install this apk file, either via adb or Root Explorer. Flash sites should now work in your browser (but not perfectly yet...see below).

8. Can I use the Barnes & Noble NOOK reading software on nookie?

It doesn't appear that the NOOKcolor's reading software is currently compatible, but you have two options for reading NOOK books:

I. Simply remove the nookie SD card to boot into the stock ROM and use that

II. Install the NOOK android app from the Market - it works perfectly in nookie froyo

9. Will games play well on Nookie froyo?

Our testing has, so far, been preliminary, but relatively simple games like Angry Birds and SNES emulators played perfectly. We'll update after testing more graphically-intense games like Dungeon Defenders or Pocket Legends.

Nookie Froyo blows away the stock ROM in terms of quadrant scores (a common benchmark app, Quadrant Standard, is available in the market to determine this), so most likely anything that ran on the stock ROM will run at least as well in nookie.

10. Is there a way to speed Nookie Froyo up?

Besides having a Class 6+ SD card, you can use SetCPU (or the free alternative, CPU Tuner) to tweak your processor's settings.

My recommended settings for Nookie Froyo:

Min 300
Max 800
Governor: OnDemand
check 'set on boot'

... And one profile enabled:
Screen Off
Min 300
Max 600
Governor: Conservative

... And another optional setting (for even a little more extra zip):

under Advanced:
change "Sampling Rate" to 150000
Check 'set on boot'

These are just settings that work for me. Feel free to experiment (after you learn what the settings mean) and find what works best for you.

Another thing you can do, if your nook is rooted, is to wipe the cache and dalvik cache:

- Remove the nookie SD and boot into the stock ROM

- On the stock ROM, install ROM Manager (market, free), then choose "flash Clockwork Mod Recovery".

- Then boot into recovery, choose wipe cache.
- Then, under Advanced, choose wipe dalvik cache.

- Now boot back into nookie, and you just may see a big speed boost!

Finally, another huge help can be to install a new kernel that can overclock your processor to 1.1GHz. See the stickied overclocking thread for instructions.

11. When I watch flash videos in the browser, it seems choppy. What's going on?

This is the best Flash can do on nookie right now. There is further hardware acceleration that can be unlocked, which should give us picture-perfect Flash. Until then, some choppiness will likely be what you're working with. We've found some Flash to be quite tolerable, others almost too choppy to enjoy. It varies, but, hopefully, it will all be better in a future update

12. Can I do a complete system backup with SD card-run Nookie Froyo?

Yes. If you're using a PC, insert your SD card (in an SD reader), open Win32DiskImager (the same program you burned your bootable SD card with). This time, instead of choosing the .img file to burn, you're going to name an .img file to save. *To do this, select the drive of your card and push READ. This will give you a backup image that you can then restore in the exact same way you burned the card originally.

13. How do I set my wallpaper so that the resolution looks good?

We used a market app called Wallpaper Set & Save. It's easy, and resolution looks great. We think it cuts off the image a little bit, but not much. This method will probably suffice for many people, but if you want it to be sized perfectly, do the following (credit to swapdotavi for the instructions):

[Get an image that is at least 1200x1024, crop it (without scaling) to 1200x1024. If you're using Photoshop, copy the entire image, then create a new file sized 1200x1024. Then paste the image and use the arrow to drag it around to whatever looks best to you. Save the file as a .png, transfer to your nook, and use Wallpaper Set & Save to choose the new file.]

. . . Since we share the same resolution with the Galaxy Tab, the wallpapers that came with it look phenomenal (in my opinion) on the NookColor. Follow this link to pick them up (in addition, you can get the Tab's dock icons to use with your Launcher)

14. If I don't want to use softkeys, can I remap the hardware buttons to do something different?

Yes. In Root Explorer, navigate to system/usr/keylayout, make a backup of TWL4030_Keypad.kl and qwerty.kl, then open the originals with text editor and change the entries in each for key 115 ( volume up) and/or key 114 (volume down) with something like BACK, MENU, or SEARCH (of course use the same in both). Save the file. Reboot, and they'll be whatever you changed the entry to.

If you want easy volume controls after remapping these buttons, a market app called Volumer++ can be set to live in your notifications for easy access. Otherwise, you can change them from settings...

15. The Youtube app installs and opens, but won't play videos. How can I watch Youtube on here?

You have two choices:

I. You can open a browser that allows for User Agent switching, switch to Desktop UA, and go to Youtube.com. If you've installed the Flash apk mentioned earlier in this thread, it should play videos (probably with some choppiness though).

II. Get two free apps from the Market: Tubemate and Rockplayer. Tubemate will let you download high quality videos of youtube clips, and then you can play them in Rockplayer.

The first approach might be a little quicker, but the second approach will likely give you a much smoother playback.

16. Why do market downloads . . . take . . . so . . . so . . . looooooooooong . . . ??

This apparently has everything to do with the speed of your SD card. I was previously using a "class 6" card (which tested to really be class 4 speed) and I had this problem. Now I'm on a class 10 (that seems to really be class 10 speed) and market downloads are fine.

17. Any other battery-saving tips?

Android includes system files that look for service in a cell phone. Disabling them in Nookie Froyo should be harmless, and just might improve your battery life:

Go back in Root Explorer, and in system/app, mount as r-w and rename Phone.apk, TelephonyProvider.apk, and MMS.apk to anything else (adding .bak onto the end would be fine). Or you could probably just delete them and be fine (renaming is simply an uber-cautious measure that achieves the same result).

18. Can I install the new version of the Market in Nookie Froyo?

Yes! Do the following:

- Download this file onto your nook.

- Using root explorer, copy it to system/app (you'll have to hit the button to set as r-w first).

- Long hold on any file in that folder, and check its permissions. Do the same for the file you just pasted, and, if it's different, change it to match.

- Reboot

- In Root Explorer, go back to system/app and now install the file. It should replace your old market.

19. How do I get rid of the empty cell bars at the top of the screen?

Download the following two files:

android.policy.jar

services.jar

Then simply use Root Explorer to replace the two files of the same name in system/framework (be sure to set as r-w first).

Reboot, and you'll no longer be constantly reminded that froyo was designed for cell phones!

20. How can I get wifi to stay on with the screen off?

Get a market app called Soft Locker.

We'll be updating this new section frequently. Feel free to check back!

Last edited:

Will Shanklin

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
does the Froyo software allow running at higher CPU speeds?

No, you'll need to look into the custom kernel for that (see thread). Right now the kernel is only for use with the stock ROM.

But with that said, you're likely to get better performance at the same CPU speed compared to the stock ROM (as long as you have a fast enough SD).

Reactions: gregh

Will Shanklin

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
thanks for the reply. do you have a recommendation for a card? i want an 8 or 16 GB.

I haven't really experimented enough to be dishing out recommendations, but I'd say go with a class 6 or 10, and read reviews for any particular brand and model, to see if people say it really is the class they're selling it as.

WidnrF1J1

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I have tried a couple of different ways to change the volume keys to BACK and MENU. I found the file mentioned above, edited and rebooted each time and it has the right text in the file now but those keys continue to control the volume. I also tried to add WAKE and WAKE_DROPPED as it is with some others but none of the three combinations worked.

Last edited:

j_benj#AC

Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
I did the hardware volume key remapping thing but my volume up/down still seem to control the volume instead of performing menu/back. I checked the TWL4030_Keypad.kl file just to be sure it saved and it seems that they are set properly. In fact, VOLUME_UP and VOLUME_DOWN are nowhere to be seen in the TWL4030_Keypad.kl anywhere.. no idea where it's getting them from!

jasoraso

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Hardware volume mapping: there are 2 files
/system/usr/keylayout/twl4030-keypad.kl
/system/usr/keylayout/qwerty.kl

Note that the 4030 file is named a little differently.

I modded both files as indicated and it works great!

Will Shanklin

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Good catch, guys. I copied that info from what I'd written for the stock ROM, but apparently nookie needs both files changed. Updating OP....

rpscott02

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
May be a silly question but will all these changes save when I take the sd out or will I need to do this each time I boot from sd?

Will Shanklin

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
May be a silly question but will all these changes save when I take the sd out or will I need to do this each time I boot from sd?

It all saves. If you have a fast SD, it will be pretty much exactly the same as running it from internal memory.

EDIT: No, actually internal memory is much faster :p . . . but if you haven't used it on internal mem yet, you'll likely be happy with your performance on a real Class 10 SD.

Last edited:

crashdau

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Do you have a specific uSD card suggestion for speed? Using a sandisk 4g HD now and its working well, but feel I could use a little speed increase.

Sent from my Nook Color (zoom2) using Tapatalk

Will Shanklin

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Do you have a specific uSD card suggestion for speed? Using a sandisk 4g HD now and its working well, but feel I could use a little speed increase.

Sent from my Nook Color (zoom2) using Tapatalk

I'm using an 8GB Class 10 Kingmax. It was $30 on Amazon, and runs nookie very quickly.

With said, it sounds like a flashable zip of nookie will probably be here pretty soon . . .

sdown

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm using an 8GB Class 10 Kingmax. It was $30 on Amazon, and runs nookie very quickly.

With said, it sounds like a flashable zip of nookie will probably be here pretty soon . . .

I'm a newbie so what does a "flashable zip of nookie" mean? Is that a newer version of the current root image? (sorry, not sure of all the terminology)

imtravis

Jan 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm a newbie so what does a "flashable zip of nookie" mean? Is that a newer version of the current root image? (sorry, not sure of all the terminology)

Nookie is a Froyo version of Android for the Nook. Installed and running from an SD card, instead of changing the Nook itself.

ShadowCatcher

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
Market Still Not Showing All Apps

I am still having trouble accessing some apps from the Market with Nookie Froyo. I installed the new Market OK (although the new Market on the Nook is slightly different than the one on my Dinc - the Nook Market shows 'My Apps' link on the right side of the main screen where the Dinc has a link to 'Verizon' apps) and did the edit to ro.build.fingerprint= line in build.prop. Even after clearing cache, forcing stop, and rebooting, many apps don't seem to be available (in fact, I didn't notice any increase - but it's hard to say). Using AppBrain (as other people have suggested) doesn't seem to be an option as they just redirect you back to the Market and I get an error message that says the app isn't found.

Unfortunately, my Dinc isn't rooted so I can't pull the .apk's directly from it. Is anyone else still having this problem an/or figured a way around it? Thanks!

stickman16

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I am also having the same problem with apps. i did the work around still as example cannot find ADW or launcher pro. Thanks for any help I can get.

Will Shanklin

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, some apps are still going to be missing even after the fingerprint change. I'm not aware of another change to give full apps at this point.

I'll update OP to make this clearer.

stickman16

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I did some searching around fount his step. After changing fingerprint and clearing market cache then i did this Settings -> Manage Applications -> All -> Google Services Framework
Clear data then Force Stop
Then rebooted and ADW was there now so i think that did it.

Reactions: Will Shanklin

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yuzuboiii