No nook colors for 2 weeks!?!?

Harvey Wallbanger

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
Thurs 2/3, lunchtime, Best Buy El Segundo, CA, a sign on the shelf said "Due to inventory problems beyond our control there are no Nook Colors available".

This is a very tech savvy neighborhood immediately adjacent to Raytheon, Boeing and other aerospace companies so I wasn't really surprised.

Anyway, I was only considering buying one because of the rarity factor. I'd rather have a slate with graphics acceleration capable of running Slingplayer, Youtube, Netflix, etc.

Kage87Z

Dec 20, 2009
Visit site
Same in the Portland, OR area... Best Buy, WalMart, B&N... no go.

So I scammed a second one, unopened, off EBay on a "buy it now"; where it seems, price wise, they haven't got the word yet. (Mine was $289 with free shipping... about $10 more then it would have cost locally with sales tax.)

mikeyonline

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Best Buy here in Grand Rapids, MI same sign up. Went down the street to Walmart, they had 5 sitting on the shelf. Picked up one there.

bravebull

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I think you are right about the Kindle app and B&N being mad that people aren't using their app. Has anyone on the web done a tear down the nook and priced out the internals of it? Maybe they are taking a hit on the price in the hope that people buy books from the B&N store. That would mean with everyone using Kindle they are not making the revenue back that they needed to.

Don't recall where I read it, but someone did a tear down of the Nook Color and determined that the cost to build was around $200 making for a "small" profit of $50 per unit. The article said that they figured Barnes and Noble was taking a low profit on the units expecting to make it up on the sale of e-books.

dcreed

May 26, 2010
www.acrobotica.com
Just checked around me (Southeast Denver-ish). Only one BestBuy has 'em in stock, no B&N stores, and a fair number of MallWarts have them available in Elizabeth, Aurora, Englewood....

smallheadz

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
The BN site today says "Available Now". Yesterday when I ordered mine it said shipping in 2 weeks, weird! Maybe they got the inventory bug fixed who knows.

pheatton

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site
Checked local Best Buys, none have it in stock out of 7 stores, 3 B&N stores state online they have it but are the ones that are 30 - 45 min away, 3 Walmarts state they have it also but again are the ones that are 30-45 min away.

Glad to hear its not to stop the hacking of these little suckers. Going to pick one up with my tax return.

drz

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Hi, all!
just got mine from B&N in Paramus, NJ. There were 2 NC in stock left, but the salesperson said they expected the new shipment to the store in 1 week as well as the new antiglare screen protectors. They have great selection of the covers in stock even those which on the bn.com are listed to be available in April.

justin926

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Just got my nook color from a local b&n! they had a bunch of stock left, the guy even said they sold 15 today. i asked him about the nook being unavailable, and he said that it was a stock issue, and it would be a couple weeks before they got more shipments... but he also said that since that particular store was selling the nooks like hotcakes(my wording, not his), they were trying to get the other b&n's that weren't doing as well to ship them their supply of nooks. so although i didnt really find much out about the issue, i did find out that nook colors are still out and about if you can take the time to call up and ask if theyre in stock.

smallheadz

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Ordered mine on BN site, said 2 weeks till ship, took only 3 days to ship, will be here in 2 days! More evidence that it was only a stock issue.

ekz13

May 31, 2010
Visit site
wouldn't it have made sense too, to just push a software update if they wanted all the NC to be unrootable? Anyway, glad they didn't, still reading/researching.

pytr13

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
BN.com sent a email last night saying my order from Jan 28th shipped.
This morning @ noon EST the local BN called to say they have new nook colors in.

Wonder how long it will take til we find out what,if anything, was changed.

MDPuckett84

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
To me it doesn't make any sense for them to fix the rooting "problem". Sure they are missing out on book sales if people root it and use it as a tablet but I would bet most people doing that would not have purchased if that capability wasn't there. So fixing root would probably have little affect on book sales but would hinder device sales.

pceasar

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I think I got the last one in South Florida about a week ago what a mission!! one has to wonder why it sellls out so quickly?

ffastffrank

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
l Pickup Mine Today in Florida

Received email @ 1:30 am that I can pick it up today @ BN here in Florida. I ordered a week ago. Now the fun begins to read the posts in detail & select a path to Android OS. I sure would like to have the HTC sense capability of my EVO.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez