Nook Tablet or Kindle Fire?

Aaron C#AC

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
Ok
I am looking at getting either the Nook Tablet or the Kindle Fire for my wife. She is 100% non technical, and will NOT care about anything other than:
reading (currently using aldiko on an android phone)
facebook
some web browsing
maybe some movie watching

Now that being said, I have 2 android phones (rooted) an HD2 running android for the kids to play games on, and an android tablet (rooted Acer 500). All that is to say I like to play with the devices and I like to do more than intended!

Here is what I have found so far in my research:

Both can be rooted. What is lost with root?
(I have seen that you can not "rent" video on the Fire if rooted)

Can you sideload apps without root on either device?
(Most likely will continue to use Aldiko as primary reader if I can sideload)

Given that we are not married to Amazon's ecosystem (most books we read are free, or sideloaded from other sources). I was leaning toward the Fire, but the lack of SD slot makes me hesitate. The cost on the Nook is keeping me from going there 100%.

To break it down another way figure that 70% of the time the stock non-rooted device will be fine, but the other 30% of the time, I will have it and want to "play"

Please provide any info that will help me decide.

trgilman

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Ok
I am looking at getting either the Nook Tablet or the Kindle Fire for my wife. She is 100% non technical, and will NOT care about anything other than:
reading (currently using aldiko on an android phone)
facebook
some web browsing
maybe some movie watching

Now that being said, I have 2 android phones (rooted) an HD2 running android for the kids to play games on, and an android tablet (rooted Acer 500). All that is to say I like to play with the devices and I like to do more than intended!

Here is what I have found so far in my research:

Both can be rooted. What is lost with root?
(I have seen that you can not "rent" video on the Fire if rooted)

Can you sideload apps without root on either device?
(Most likely will continue to use Aldiko as primary reader if I can sideload)

Given that we are not married to Amazon's ecosystem (most books we read are free, or sideloaded from other sources). I was leaning toward the Fire, but the lack of SD slot makes me hesitate. The cost on the Nook is keeping me from going there 100%.

To break it down another way figure that 70% of the time the stock non-rooted device will be fine, but the other 30% of the time, I will have it and want to "play"

Please provide any info that will help me decide.

You can side load apps, and even get access to the Amazon App Store all without rooting.
The SD card gives you the ability to load up on movies to watch offline.
Since she will be watching movies, I would lean towards the Nook Tablet. Having twice the RAM makes movies run smoother and with greater clarity.
The extra $50 is worth it.

PIYIRIO

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm torn myself. I have a Nook Color and love it. It's running CM7 overclocked to 1.1Ghz but thats beyond your question on rooting. I even picked one up for my mother and loaded up CM7. She is extremely non technical and has had no issue. We still use the Nook app and Kindle app if we want a reader. I watch movies and tv shows using Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime Videos (through the browser) and my only complaint is the crap speaker in the Color. I've played with the Nook Tab and it's essentially the same. The Kindle Fire is supposed to have a damn good set of stereo speakers. Honestly I would be all over the Fire if it weren't for the lack of an SD card slot. Better speakers or not, I want/need the extra memory. Most time when I'm in a situation where I'm using the Color for videos, I have in headphones or an FM modulator. The Nook Tab also has a mic so I'm wondering if VOIP calls using GV will work; I don't know if the Fire has one, but I didn't see that in original the Nooks Tab specs either.

For me $50 is so small a difference I'd consider them the same price. I got the Nook Color for $199 direct from B&N when they were selling a year ago for $249 so I expect them to have some specials soon. The Nook Color has been an amazing device with an excellent development following. I hope the Tab keeps with the same enthusiasm but it appear the Fire may win out on that due to the volume being sold. I may upgrade to the Tab considering my experience with the Color.

Rkingny28

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Even though the kindle fire does not have an sd slot it still has 6 GB of space and you also have access to Amazons expansive cloud features. On the nook tablet you can add an sd card but is really no use for apps. The nook tablet only allows for 1 GB of non B&N content. The form factor of the kindle fire is by far sleeker and sturdier. I feel I can break the nook tablet easily. The sound is superior on the fire. The kindle fire has GORILLA GLASS. The one thing I can say for both is that they are extremely hacker friendly.

Mageshadow

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Wow no. The Nook has a better build quality than the KF. have you seen the Kf dropped onto concrete? Even the slightest drop on concrete shatters the ENTIRE screen of the fire - that's because it's coated that way

Drop Test: Nook Tablet Vs Kindle Fire (Giveaway) - YouTube - Go to the very end they drop the Kindle Fire and Nook Tablet face down onto concrete and you'll see how the screen on the KF can be when dropped

The 13GB of the nooks "reserved" space can be used to install apps onto it add a cheap 16GB micro SD ( $15) and you're golden, no need to be locked down with that lousy 6GB's for Apps, Movies, and Music

As far as audio quality - who the hell cares? Will you be using this to listen to music to 24/7? No I'm sure you have a dedicated MP3/MP4 to do that.

You can also easily slap the amazon marketplace onto the nook without rooting.
You also have to option to sign up for B&N's service which gives you a large discount if you buy paperbacks ( 40% off I believe ) - the membership costs $25 but it also reduces the price of the Nook Tablet by $25 thus making it free. It's really nice if and when you buy paper backs

Your choice really

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress