Root to Tether

shadrap

May 17, 2010
Visit site
For those if you, like me, wanting to root the Bionic and tether. Is it gonna be possible? I know root has already been achieved. But I was just checking out Phandroid and someone was saying that Verizon has blocked it somehow. Is this true? Heck that was half the reason I wanted to switch from my iPhone to the Bionic. I use to have the Evo and it worked great. I was really looking forward to tethering some 4G goodness.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Tethering is a no no on vzw on most other carriers. There are a ton threads on tethering.

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
I hope VZW does/has found a way to block this. This is a service they offer, if you root your phone and take it for free, it is steeling.

I will get off my soap box now.

shadrap

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Sorry. I didn't mean to ruffle feathers. I know we all have our moral ethical beliefs. My thought process was. We pay for our data, it's our phone, we do what we want with our phone, root. The whole open source idea. Basically why pay for the ability to look at the same data on a larger screen. When android first started this was most people's thought process. This must have changed. So if common law ethics has changed, guess my view will change as well.

sixfootsideburns

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I hope VZW does/has found a way to block this. This is a service they offer, if you root your phone and take it for free, it is steeling.

I will get off my soap box now.

Your right, it IS a service they offer. However charging me an additional fee to use my UNLIMITED DATA on a tethered device is completed horse crap. And honestly? I would encourage people to "steal this service." Maybe if enough people jump on the band wagon they will finally realize what total nonsense it is and start offering it for free instead of trying to get our money at every turn. Cell phone plans are already outrageously over priced... they don't need to screw us every chance they get.

I don't know about everyone else, but typically I liked to get kissed before I get effed. :p

Reactions: JTNiggle and tmc896

anon(387460)

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
But a service that has an unjustifiable price. You pay for your data -- how can Verizon charge you on how you use the data you bought? One argument is Verizon claims you use more data than most users while tethered. -- okay but that's why I have an unlimited plan I paid for. Now there are tiered plans so tethering shouldn't be a problem at all since you'll just be charged overages for going over your tiered package. $30 for data 2gb/unlimited. And $30 again to use that data...? unjustified.

If Verizon offered the service at an appropriate pricepoint I'd be happy to use it than cheat them out of $30. But since they are cheating us -- I'll cheat right back.

Gonna get off my soap box :p

anon(392870)

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Sorry everyone. I didn't mean to open a can of worms,

No need to apologize. Tethering is a legitimate topic and may be discussed on here, even if people feel it is "steeling" or disagree with it. The mods have made this clear in other threads on the topic. :)

This is a big deal for me too, since when I travel I want to be able to use my netbook with wifi and having the Bionic pump that bad boy full of 4G goodness is important to me.

anon(387460)

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
No need to apologize. Tethering is a legitimate topic and may be discussed on here, even if people feel it is "steeling" or disagree with it. The mods have made this clear in other threads on the topic. :)

This is a big deal for me too, since when I travel I want to be able to use my netbook with wifi and having the Bionic pump that bad boy full of 4G goodness is important to me.

Agreed, no apology needed. This is, in my opinion, one of the most important topics regarding cell phones and it should be discussed. :)

mjforte

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Here's how I feel about tethering: if you are not on an unlimited plan I don't think Verizon should charge you at all for tethering. After all, your plan is limited and you go over, you'll be paying overage fees. For unlimited users, I think they should charge depending on usage. Sometimes I just want to use tethering when I'm in a pinch and there's no internet around. Why should I have to pay $30 a month for something I'll rarely use? How about they make the first 2GB or so of tethering free and then charge for each after that like $5-$10 for 5GB instead of what they currently charge. I'd be fine with that. And tethering can't be free for unlimited users because they abuse it and use like 80GB in a month. That's why I think that we should get some free tethering and then pay if we need more.

Cvballa3g0

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
Here's my opinion on tethering.. I do it, some of us do it. I'm fine with it to a certain extent. I don't think using 10 gigs of tethered data is right. But if its just for a trip on the highway that uses like 300 gbs, I'm perfectly fine with that. You get what I'm saying?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
You all right so right lets all ban together and tether for for free. Vzw will love to send u a bill for it. I see it like this I pay for data on my phone and only my phone if i need data for my laptop then I need a separate plan. Which I have. Am I being raped with out vasiline of course but those are rules and contract I agreed to end of discussion. And of mods feel this topic should b discussed then have one thread not 20.

1776_1865_RIP

Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
I've been tethering since my Palm 7135, granted then it was just being used as a dial in modem but... Suffice to say the ability was part of the service then and for a good time after with various devices just because they want to charge now doesn't mean I feel like suddenly paying extra.

ETA - I have a data card installed in my primary laptop but use my current phone to tether with other project specific laptops I have, I'm not feeling guilty.

roberte1342

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
Here's how I feel about tethering: if you are not on an unlimited plan I don't think Verizon should charge you at all for tethering. After all, your plan is limited and you go over, you'll be paying overage fees. For unlimited users, I think they should charge depending on usage. Sometimes I just want to use tethering when I'm in a pinch and there's no internet around. Why should I have to pay $30 a month for something I'll rarely use? How about they make the first 2GB or so of tethering free and then charge for each after that like $5-$10 for 5GB instead of what they currently charge. I'd be fine with that. And tethering can't be free for unlimited users because they abuse it and use like 80GB in a month. That's why I think that we should get some free tethering and then pay if we need more.

This is the same company that thought it would be ok to charge $3.00 for a 30 second clip of a low quaility polyphonic ringtone, lame 100x100 pixel wallpapers and for many years purposely did not give you the ability to change it yourself by requiring the manufacturers to cripple their devices. The OG droid was the only open device they sold and they only did it out of desperation to counter Apple.
VZW is run by the same folks that run fly by night carnivals. Don't think for a second that these carnies will allow sane ideas like yours to see the light of day, especially when they know that they are the biggest game in town.
Given a choice rooting and removing crapware would be a punishable offense by these guys.
I think the jury is still out on using your already paid for overpriced data plan on your ipad.

mjforte

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
This is the same company that thought it would be ok to charge $3.00 for a 30 second clip of a low quaility polyphonic ringtone, lame 100x100 pixel wallpapers and for many years purposely did not give you the ability to change it yourself by requiring the manufacturers to cripple their devices. The OG droid was the only open device they sold and they only did it out of desperation to counter Apple.
VZW is run by the same folks that run fly by night carnivals. Don't think for a second that these carnies will allow sane ideas like yours to see the light of day, especially when they know that they are the biggest game in town.
Given a choice rooting and removing crapware would be a punishable offense by these guys.
I think the jury is still out on using your already paid for overpriced data plan on your ipad.

Oh I know that my ideas are ridiculous to VZW and would never happen, but that would be an ideal way to handle tethering. Customers wouldn't feel shafted and VZW would still get money. Sort of a good balance but I know that Verizon loves their money too much.

roberte1342

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
Oh I know that my ideas are ridiculous to VZW and would never happen, but that would be an ideal way to handle tethering. Customers wouldn't feel shafted and VZW would still get money. Sort of a good balance but I know that Verizon loves their money too much.
Fun can still be had at a carnival, especially if you know some of their tricks.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I think the moral argument has prevented the OP's question from being answered. He/she said that rumors indicated that rooted tethering was not working and wondered if this was true. I wonder the same thing. Before GingerBread, I had my X rooted and ran Wireless Teather (shamelessly), but I never re-rooted after the GB upgrade. I do remember reading that there were problems tethering on GB. Were they ever resolved?

As you you moral high-grounder's, do you ever drive 67, or 69, or 80 mph in a 65 zone? You know that is against the law, but I'm guessing you think it's OK because 65 is just too slow for you. Where are your morals and why should you get to decide what everyone else's should be? Sometimes companies make bad decisions based on corporate greed. It's our responsibility as a consumer to find ways to point these bad decisions out and insure that we're not being taken advantage of. I love Verizon and want them to make money to stay in business, but charging more money for something we're already paying for (unlimited data) is excessive.

Last edited:

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
I hate to say this, but it doesn't matter how anyone feels about verizon charging for tethering. It doesn't matter if you feel they are charging too much for the tethering plan. It doesn't matter if you feel it is "your data" and you can use it how you want. There are only two things that matter;
1)if you have are a customer with a verizon data plan, you have signed an agreement that says you wont tether unless you purchase a tethering plan. you've agreed to it. you've essentially told verizon that you think their practice of charging $30 for tethering is OK. If you tether without this plan, you have lied to verizon and are breaking the terms of service that you agreed to and this leads to the 2nd thing that matters
2)verizon can track people who tether. They have already announced that at some point people who are tethering are going to be switched from unlimited plans to tiered plans. This means that they will automatically switch you to a tiered plan, charge you the $30 for the tethering plan and charge you for how ever much you go over your tier.
In other words, if you want to tether, realize you are breaking your word, and realize what the risks are.

idefiler6

Banned
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Paying enough for the phone and text plan as it is. Data should be unlimited and tethering a part of that. Monthly fee for my family plan which includes 2 droid 2s, 700 minutes, unlimited texting. Of which, we use probably about 40 minutes and about 400 texts per month, that's an incredibly liberal estimation too, it's probably way less for both. $200 a month seems rather high considering the usage of those services, which is the bulk of what the plan costs. Tethering free on what is currently an unlimited plan somewhat offsets that. I only rooted and tether one of the devices, mine. I only use the tether on the road for work because the sprint 3g/4g smartconnect card they gave me is about as good as what I clean up off the sidewalk after my dog. I don't use that much data either, I think the total tally for last month was about 4gb between both of us. Nowhere near the 80gb mentioned earlier in the thread. If someone travels that much or whatever, they should pay the 30 bucks for it. Well worth the cost and much cheaper than buying high-speed internet at home.

Once my job's contract with sprint runs dry, they are going to switch us to big red cards. That's the day I stop needing to tether. Til then, oh well.

shadrap

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I was checking on xda. It seems that none of the free tethering apps are working. Might have to keep my iPhone "Jailbroken" Tethering was one of my reasons for grabbing the Bionic.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo