HTC ONE to BB PRIV one week later

walterkurtz

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
hi. i think my thread at crackberry has fallen off the front page so i am hoping to find answers here about the PRIV

1. can i disable the shutter sound on the camera? this is a must.

2. can i disable the screenshot sound? more of an annoyance than a must.

3. can i move the green phone call indicator (see below)? as you can see it is almost perfectly in the wrong place when i am driving, talking and navigating (a frequent occurrence in LA)...

Screenshot_2016-02-08-07-03-05.jpg

4. i get email from the blackberry hub asking for permissions. why? do i need this? i am using nova because i needed it on my previous android, but i am not completely attached to it.

Screenshot_2016-02-08-06-25-29.jpg

4A/5. why do i get duplicate notifications in the top (see clock in attached photo)? are the blackberry and nova launcher working in tandem? against each other? do i need to delete or disable something built in to the priv to use nova? sorry this is where my limited knowledge of android things is most obvious...

Screenshot_2016-02-08-05-33-56.jpg

overall i am enjoying this phone. but i suspect after another week it will go back in favor of an iphone or HTC ONE M10(? whatever the next one is)....this phone feels more commerce than art.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!

ajwan

Nov 22, 2015
Visit site
Like I said in the other two threads at Crackberry, use the volume rockers beforehand. No option in the camera App itself. Not optimal I know, but it is what it is. I believe this is the case for screenshots too. This was the same in BB10.

Posted via the Android Central App

walterkurtz

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
Like I said in the other two threads at Crackberry, use the volume rockers beforehand. No option in the camera App itself. Not optimal I know, but it is what it is. I believe this is the case for screenshots too. This was the same in BB10.

but that sucks!!

bitek

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
Beauty of android is that you can download 100 other apps that do the same thing. Just find one that allows you to disable sounds and enjoy the phone and it's superior physical keyboard and security

rob350

Feb 10, 2016
Visit site
1 and 2 are important. I hate camera sounds. As well screen shot sound. One of the reasons I left BB a number of years ago and went to samsung/android.
I'm leaning towards a priv (I miss having a keyboard, and am dedicated to android now), hoping a future update could remove/give the option for the sound. Will hold off for now and see.

As for item 3 I'm hardly on the phone and driving so a minimal issue for me, but for someone that is that would be super important to change.

Yes there are other camera apps, but do they work as good as the BB camera app? Too bad there was no app that could cut off all the phones sounds while a picture was being taken or something (to override BB's camera app sound)

Does having the phone on vibrate only (no audible sound) solve this?

walterkurtz

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
1 and 2 are important. I hate camera sounds. As well screen shot sound. One of the reasons I left BB a number of years ago and went to samsung/android.
I'm leaning towards a priv (I miss having a keyboard, and am dedicated to android now), hoping a future update could remove/give the option for the sound. Will hold off for now and see.

As for item 3 I'm hardly on the phone and driving so a minimal issue for me, but for someone that is that would be super important to change.

Yes there are other camera apps, but do they work as good as the BB camera app? Too bad there was no app that could cut off all the phones sounds while a picture was being taken or something (to override BB's camera app sound)

Does having the phone on vibrate only (no audible sound) solve this?

i would hold off until the next BB/droid if i were you. i willl likely return this one in a week. i love the idea of a physical keyboard. but i am changing so many phone basics at this point (camera to cameringo to disable shutter sound, google photo gallery to piktures because the first was horrible, BB calendar to google calendar now to cal because google calendar was never in sync) that i think i've defeated the purpose of having a blackberry (again).

i was hoping for an equal or improved android experience AND a physical keyboard. instead i've experienced a flawed android AND physical keyboard.

rob350

Feb 10, 2016
Visit site
i would hold off until the next BB/droid if i were you. i willl likely return this one in a week. i love the idea of a physical keyboard. but i am changing so many phone basics at this point (camera to cameringo to disable shutter sound, google photo gallery to piktures because the first was horrible, BB calendar to google calendar now to cal because google calendar was never in sync) that i think i've defeated the purpose of having a blackberry (again).

i was hoping for an equal or improved android experience AND a physical keyboard. instead i've experienced a flawed android AND physical keyboard.

Interesting.

As for camera, reading above simply having the phone on vibrate only solves the camera problem (I never use a ringer). But yes this should be a setting in the camera app.
Never liked google photo gallery.
I'm use google calendar full time. Being linked with my Google account I can have it across all devices, as well as share it with my other half so we have a combined calendar. You say it was never syncing, was "SYNC" for Google enabled?

walterkurtz

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
Interesting.

As for camera, reading above simply having the phone on vibrate only solves the camera problem (I never use a ringer). But yes this should be a setting in the camera app.
Never liked google photo gallery.
I'm use google calendar full time. Being linked with my Google account I can have it across all devices, as well as share it with my other half so we have a combined calendar. You say it was never syncing, was "SYNC" for Google enabled?

oh man i am no expert. but i am fairly certain i have every sync option ticked. that being said, i am using three accounts in gmail. and i am only trying hoping or praying to have the main one linked to my calendar. one example, i sent an invite to a meeting to a friend last week (a feature i never use). on my phone it showed her unresponsive. i showed her a screengrab and asked wtf. she replied with her screengrab showing her response confirming the meeting. additionally when my accountant sent a meeting request yesterday while i was sitting at her office it would only show up on my priv in gmail as an empty email. it also of course did not show up in my google calendar on the priv.

any suggestions greatly appreciated. thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress