Would people be happier once the Bionic is overclocked?

gorgalis

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
A lot of the people who say they will wait for the Vigor or Prime claim they do not want a Bionic because "it's the best of the last generation, instead of the first of the next generation". Why is this though?

The only gaping difference really is the speed of the processor. Here are the facts...
- Both the Prime and the Vigor are rumored to have 1GB of RAM, so the Bionic has 1GB of DDR2 RAM, then that is a win for the Bionic (unless the V or P also has DDR2).
- Testers claim the Bionic has great battery life. Anyone with an HTC knows that the Vigor will suffer badly, not sure what to say about the Prime, but I am not sure how it could take another large step past the Bionic.
- Bionic has qHD display, others are rumored to have an HD display. Again how good does the resolution on a screen less than 5 inches long have to be? I say tie, trading meaningless resolution for battery life.
- Screen size, I admit I like the idea of a 4.5+ inch display, but does it really matter all that much?
- Bluetooth 3.0 seems amazing, but honestly it may be a while before a lot of good hardware comes out to utilize with this new technology.

At the current time, nobody is going to notice the difference between a 1.0GHz and 1.5GHz dual core processor. More than likely we would notice the difference as apps and usage evolve over the next 20 months (i.e. see the lag in old phones currently being used, such as the OG Droid).

So after all of that.... if/when the Bionic is overclocked to 1.2 - 1.5 GHz, would that put it on a more level playing field with the Vigor and Prime? Would that end all complaints?

mjforte

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I, like you hate seeing all the complainers saying the Bionic is old tech, last years specs, etc. Last year we didn't have any dual core phones, nor did we have one combined with LTE. I see things the same way you do, that the Vigor and Prime are not going to be major upgrades over the Bionic. Sure they are clocked higher, but with HD screens performance will probably be about the same as the Bionic anyway due to having to push more pixels. Isn't the Retina Display of the iPhone at a resolution of 960x540 the limit of what the eye can see anyways? So the Bionic's resolution of 960x540 should be the same. HD on a 4-5" screen isn't going to be a big deal I think because you wouldn't notice it anyways. The same thing goes for TV screens where 1080p is useless unless it's on a screen that's 50+ inches. People love to hate on this phone and I really don't get why.

gorgalis

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Overclocked? Let's get the phone first and see how it operates and performs!

I'm not saying it should be. I'm just asking if that would be the end of everyone saying it is outdated before its even released. Other than the speed of the professor these phones are all very similar.

mjforte

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
What I also find funny is no one is saying the GS2 for Sprint, AT&T, or T-Mobile is old tech. Oh what, just because they are clocked at 1.2GHz it's suddenly way ahead of the Bionic? Give me a break...

Reactions: jroc

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
So after all of that.... if/when the Bionic is overclocked to 1.2 - 1.5 GHz, would that put it on a more level playing field with the Vigor and Prime? Would that end all complaints?

Nothing will ever end the complaining. Ever. It could release with a 3 Ghz quad core. USB 5.0, Full HD, neural interface, 5 month battery life, 12G connectivity with speeds of 5 GB/s, preloaded with the option of Blur, vanilla android, or any custom ROM you want, and only cost $1.50 and people would still find something to complain about.

gorgalis

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Nothing will ever end the complaining. Ever. It could release with a 3 Ghz quad core. USB 5.0, Full HD, neural interface, 5 month battery life, 12G connectivity with speeds of 5 GB/s, preloaded with the option of Blur, vanilla android, or any custom ROM you want, and only cost $1.50 and people would still find something to complain about.

No Bluetooth? No USB 5.1?

I'm waiting for the Bionic 2!

KillerG

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
What I also find funny is no one is saying the GS2 for Sprint, AT&T, or T-Mobile is old tech. Oh what, just because they are clocked at 1.2GHz it's suddenly way ahead of the Bionic? Give me a break...

So what? It's overclocked an extra .2 GHz. That's not much, and no one will ever notice. Like EVER. There's NOTHING that Android can throw at a phone currently that will even need the next generation quad cores to run it. Seriously, it's just a marketing gimmick at this point. I have a core i7 in my computer, and my friend has a core i7 as well in his computer, but his is clocked at 4.0 GHz while mine is somewhere around half that. He never even uses 1% of his CPU, I've seen like 5% when I'm doing intensive video editing while running all my other crap on top of it. You're not going to notice a small difference.
And I guess if you wanted to overclock it to 1.2 GHz you could, it's not like the phone can't handle it. It's all about battery life. The battery life is going to be Thunderbolt status on the Vigor, can't say better or worse thanks to that insane HD screen that you'll never need because it's yet another marketing gimmick. Plus that extra .5 GHz is only going to add more stress to the CPU because it's going to be working harder. The Dual Core CPU will though, improve over the single core in battery life though. 720p COULD be useful on a huge tablet, or on a laptop screen, but otherwise you'll never need that on anything smaller than 15", 10" if you're pushing it for a tablet, and that's REALLY pushing it, seriously. All the text is going to be SO INSANELY SMALL on that screen too, think of that. Think of your TV, would you need a 1080p display on a 19" TV? Why do you need it on your phone all of a sudden?

xjoshuax89

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
So what? It's overclocked an extra .2 GHz. That's not much, and no one will ever notice. Like EVER. There's NOTHING that Android can throw at a phone currently that will even need the next generation quad cores to run it. Seriously, it's just a marketing gimmick at this point. I have a core i7 in my computer, and my friend has a core i7 as well in his computer, but his is clocked at 4.0 GHz while mine is somewhere around half that. He never even uses 1% of his CPU, I've seen like 5% when I'm doing intensive video editing while running all my other crap on top of it. You're not going to notice a small difference.
And I guess if you wanted to overclock it to 1.2 GHz you could, it's not like the phone can't handle it. It's all about battery life. The battery life is going to be Thunderbolt status on the Vigor, can't say better or worse thanks to that insane HD screen that you'll never need because it's yet another marketing gimmick. Plus that extra .5 GHz is only going to add more stress to the CPU because it's going to be working harder. The Dual Core CPU will though, improve over the single core in battery life though. 720p COULD be useful on a huge tablet, or on a laptop screen, but otherwise you'll never need that on anything smaller than 15", 10" if you're pushing it for a tablet, and that's REALLY pushing it, seriously. All the text is going to be SO INSANELY SMALL on that screen too, think of that. Think of your TV, would you need a 1080p display on a 19" TV? Why do you need it on your phone all of a sudden?

Hm so you are saying people would not notice the difference of 0.4 GHz (0.2 * 2 for the dual core its not exactly 0.4 but as a rough example) . For the regular joe I guess not but for those that use the phone a lot with lots of multi tasking will notice the difference.

Also if you have a i7 OC'd at only 4 GHz or less your not really even OCing it much. On top of that if your using less than 1% of 5% then your obviously not using your computer at all for any intensive stuff. I use about anywhere from 60-80% on my i7 desktop.

anon(392870)

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Hm so you are saying people would not notice the difference of 0.4 GHz (0.2 * 2 for the dual core its not exactly 0.4 but as a rough example) . For the regular joe I guess not but for those that use the phone a lot with lots of multi tasking will notice the difference.

Would be amazed if you could notice a difference at all.

People hate the Bionic because it makes them feel cool, because they read somewhere (cough DL cough) that they shouldn't like it because of Pentile, because they are sheep, because they hate the old versions of motoblur, because they have spec envy and always have to be able to tout somethig that is better even if only in numbers and not in practice.

The phone isn't even out, people are idiots. I'm excited for this phone, I was excited (and planning on getting) the GS2 if it was coming to VZW. It's not. The Bionic is going to be really nice. Ignore all the idiots. :)

916ninja

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Would be amazed if you could notice a difference at all.

People hate the Bionic because it makes them feel cool, because they read somewhere (cough DL cough) that they shouldn't like it because of Pentile, because they are sheep, because they hate the old versions of motoblur, because they have spec envy and always have to be able to tout somethig that is better even if only in numbers and not in practice.

The phone isn't even out, people are idiots. I'm excited for this phone, I was excited (and planning on getting) the GS2 if it was coming to VZW. It's not. The Bionic is going to be really nice. Ignore all the idiots. :)

Well I am waiting patiently before I start complaining too much. About the whole pentile issue, we will just have to wait and see. I was playing with a friends photon two days ago and found a way to see how bad it can be. Go to verizon and download moonchaser on the phone. I am not sure how bad it is on x2 or d3 but the ghosting reminded me of old school lcd screens. And you won't miss it. I am positive everyone will be able to see it. P3droid did say the screen is better than the x2 and d3 though so I am crossing my fingers.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
If you need to overclock it to be happy, I doubt your ever happy with any phone. I'm not saying that overclocking is bad, but if that's what it takes to make you like the phone, you should get something else.

ChevyNovaLN

Jul 24, 2011
www.ChevyNovaLN.com
If you need to overclock it to be happy, I doubt your ever happy with any phone. I'm not saying that overclocking is bad, but if that's what it takes to make you like the phone, you should get something else.

But but.... when that 1.5ghz phone comes out... I may need to overclock it to 1.7ghz to match the other 'future, not-yet-existing' phones. :)

Yeah, you should only overclock your phone if you happen to notice something lagging DUE to the CPU being just a tad bit slow for whatever it is you're running. I never overclock the first year or so I have something. It gives you something you can do to improve things later if it ever does get laggy with newer power-hungry apps.

GBH2

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
But but.... when that 1.5ghz phone comes out... I may need to overclock it to 1.7ghz to match the other 'future, not-yet-existing' phones. :)

Yeah, you should only overclock your phone if you happen to notice something lagging DUE to the CPU being just a tad bit slow for whatever it is you're running. I never overclock the first year or so I have something. It gives you something you can do to improve things later if it ever does get laggy with newer power-hungry apps.

Yeah, I wait about a year, and until there is a really good upgrade phone out, to overclock, then I overclock to the Max. and if I fry the phone then I have an excuse to buy the latest and greatest, lol.:D

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I honestly haven't read through this whole thread, so, this point has probably been mentioned 100 times already....but in case it hasn't, any time you overclock you're going to start eating away at battery time. Performance vs battery is always a fun thing to try to balance. For me, unless there's something REALLY painfully slow that absolutely requires it, I'd rather UNDERCLOCK it than overclock it. Once you start overclocking it, you get into heat issues which, again, has a very detrimental affect on battery life. Just something to consider. If you NEED to overclock it, that's one thing, but, to do it just to "catch up to the new phones" is a bit silly IMO.

ChevyNovaLN

Jul 24, 2011
www.ChevyNovaLN.com
If you NEED to overclock it, that's one thing, but, to do it just to "catch up to the new phones" is a bit silly IMO.

Exactly. I have never done a new kernel for overclocking and maybe what i'm doing isn't even working lol. i'm using the Overclock Widget (Android market) that basically lets you set the minimum and max CPU speed. I always leave it at 250 on the low side... and 800 on the max for my OG Droid. If I start pushing it by running a certain game, etc.. it'll bump it up.

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Exactly. I have never done a new kernel for overclocking and maybe what i'm doing isn't even working lol. i'm using the Overclock Widget (Android market) that basically lets you set the minimum and max CPU speed. I always leave it at 250 on the low side... and 800 on the max for my OG Droid. If I start pushing it by running a certain game, etc.. it'll bump it up.

I'm not sure what my current settings are on my Droid. I think I used the standard kernel for CM7 when I did it last time. I used to use setcpu and profiles and all that to try to get max performance with max battery life, but, I found myself not needing it. Besides, let's think about this....we're just now starting to see dual core LTE phones. At least for a while, there's PROBABLY not going to be a NEED to overclock the thing. I suspect OOB it'll be pretty darn fast...especially compared to what most of us have now.

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I have a Droid 1. I overclocked it to 1.2 Ghz before. Thought I needed it. I may have loaded a new ROM on it one day and a new kernel, or something started acting funky and I clocked it back down to 800Mhz.

Whatever the case was....I found 800Mhz was just fine. Really....with all these dual core chips, overclocking is only gonna be for bragging rights, benchmark fiends.

For me, unless there's something REALLY painfully slow that absolutely requires it, I'd rather UNDERCLOCK it than overclock it. Once you start overclocking it, you get into heat issues which, again, has a very detrimental affect on battery life. Just something to consider. If you NEED to overclock it, that's one thing, but, to do it just to "catch up to the new phones" is a bit silly IMO.

Same here, buddy....same here. My Droid X1 has yet to see any overclock and I had it since July last year.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ugo