Blur + locked bootloader ????

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
All of the OEM's are evil in their own way as far as I'm concerned. Whether it be locking down the device, refusing to support certain issues, or anything else to the matter, each OEM does something "evil" that consumers are not going to like. It works out in the wash in the big picture.

TreyDaPrince

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
Dont say HTC doesn't lock there crap. What about the mess they had on the G2? Every time u loaded a Rom or unlocked it as soon as u rebooted it went back to stock. And who doesn't say they will do it on the DOLT? OR MAY be a newer lock. Yea efuse is nasty but I can root my X, run a true asop Rom remove bloats and overclock it. Don't let these guys scare you. As for blur it is not as bad it is not full blur like the cliq.

Wish more people saw it like you sir.

tmacfan4321

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
Dont say HTC doesn't lock there crap. What about the mess they had on the G2? Every time u loaded a Rom or unlocked it as soon as u rebooted it went back to stock. And who doesn't say they will do it on the DOLT? OR MAY be a newer lock. Yea efuse is nasty but I can root my X, run a true asop Rom remove bloats and overclock it. Don't let these guys scare you. As for blur it is not as bad it is not full blur like the cliq.
That was a NAND lock, just like the Evo and Inc before it. The system didn't ever write the files, but it said that they were written for some odd reason.

Even if the Thunderbolt is locked down, NAND locks are easily circumventable, as opposed to locked bootloaders with eFuse, which are very difficult to get around.

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Thats very true it'd hard to get around but what had permanent root faster the dx or g2 . Each manufacturer locks down their phone in different ways. I don't know if this will have the same signed bootloader but I can bet it will be worked around.

mattg67

May 23, 2010
Visit site
Well as far as I know the D1 did not have an completely open bootloader it had a typo in the signature and was easily exploited, also the DX has a true AOSP rom obsidian from CCroms tho ATM it is beta but It will be great when it's all worked out. Yes I do think there is a chance the bionic will be unlocked but only time will tell.

prittyboy203

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
With the dx they had to get around the hole exploit and the annoying efuse trick they put in the phone but that wasn't to long but the g2 there still working on it or it just had full been worked out but the g2 has temp right now and that was quick but I think the g2 has taken a bit longer either way they are both temp or full root so you can still get all the apps you need to play with your phone they way the carrier or manufacturer doesn't want you to hehe

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

rion_j

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
ya know, this is a great thread and e30kid is spot on. i'm currently on a droid x, and loving the custom roms now, but it took awhile before awesome roms like Gummy Jar became available which was almost 6 months in from when the x launched. i really want my next device to not have a locked bootloader, so I'm leaning towards an HTC device next. however, i really like what the Droid Developers/Hackers have done with the Moto phones, but I really want to try Cyanogen and MIUI and that probably won't be possible if the Bionic has a locked bootloader. Can anyone compare their experience being on a HTC phone w/ custom ROM's/Themes to a Moto phone w/ custom ROM's/Theme's? I'm big on tweaking my device.

I'm also curious what the HTC community of developers/hackers are like compared to the Moto community? Support similar/different?

richdroidx

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
I researched this before getting my dx. Blur sense touch wiz etc.. before buying my dx I was following everybody and thinking I was gonna root the phone when I got it. Well I've had it a good few months now and its still stock with no plans of rooting. Does everything I need it to do and more. Personal preference at the end of the day but all phones have some kind of lock to them. Bluuuurrrrrr!

kingsway8605

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Basically motorola is locking the bootloaders of their new phones. This makes it impossible to load custom roms. I repeat, impossible, a custom rom will never be loaded on the droid x. The roms you see for the dx now are actually skinned stock roms. The manufacturers and carriers are doing this so they can use the os upgrades to sell new phones. I recommend the iPhone coming out in February. Apple has a track record of updating their phones for 2-3 years whereas the Android manufacturers have a track record of updating their phones for 6-9 months.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

htowngator

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
I researched this before getting my dx. Blur sense touch wiz etc.. before buying my dx I was following everybody and thinking I was gonna root the phone when I got it. Well I've had it a good few months now and its still stock with no plans of rooting. Does everything I need it to do and more. Personal preference at the end of the day but all phones have some kind of lock to them. Bluuuurrrrrr!

rooting the DX for me would have more to do with getting tethering on it than anything else

kingsway8605

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
How are they skinned stock roms? These roms are fully custom minus the kernel

It is skinned in that the devs take the stock rom release by motorola and perform minor modifications to it and add scripts to it. The droid x is incapable of running a rom not approved by motorola, it bricks if you try to do it. There is a heavily encrypted bootloader that only runs Moto approved software. So if Moto decides they want droid X owners to buy the Droid Bionic, they can simply hold back gingerbread from the droid x and then no "custom roms" based on Gingerbread, Honeycomb, Ice Cream will ever exist for the DX. Ever. Just Froyo skinned or themed to look like Gingerbread.

kingsway8605

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
It is skinned in that the devs take the stock rom release by motorola and perform minor modifications to it and add scripts to it. The droid x is incapable of running a rom not approved by motorola, it bricks if you try to do it. There is a heavily encrypted bootloader that only runs Moto approved software. So if Moto decides they want droid X owners to buy the Droid Bionic, they can simply hold back gingerbread from the droid x and then no "custom roms" based on Gingerbread, Honeycomb, Ice Cream will ever exist for the DX. Ever. Just Froyo ROMS skinned or themed to look like gingerbread.

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
No their not skinned they just can't touch the kernel do me a favor and look up ccvps that's a full asop rom without the kernel some of these roms have just about all of blur taken out even the framework. Alot of Motorola stuff does have to remain in their to function because guess what it's a Motorola phone was the same way with the d1. Because it can't boot gingerbread has nothing to do with roms being custom skinned or not, it boils down to the kernel. If I can't load a the kernel for gingerbread guess what I can't load gingerbread.
but I do agree alot of the roms are based off of Motorola roms. And yes the locked encrypted efused bootloader sucks

macdaddybuff

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
If it has a locked boot loader I will go with HTC in a heartbeat.
Good thing is my upgrades all come due in may so I should have a good idea which one I will want by then.

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Locked bootloader does not stop me buying Motorola Phones, as much as it sucks and the phone should be open, I can still root my DX and I do not plan on using different roms. I have launcherpro and I love it so far.

quetzalcoatl

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
It is skinned in that the devs take the stock rom release by motorola and perform minor modifications to it and add scripts to it. The droid x is incapable of running a rom not approved by motorola, it bricks if you try to do it. There is a heavily encrypted bootloader that only runs Moto approved software. So if Moto decides they want droid X owners to buy the Droid Bionic, they can simply hold back gingerbread from the droid x and then no "custom roms" based on Gingerbread, Honeycomb, Ice Cream will ever exist for the DX. Ever. Just Froyo skinned or themed to look like Gingerbread.

Many of the developers are making ASOP roms for the Droid X. The only thing that is not changed is the kernel. So it is much more than minor modifications but you are right that if Moto stops supporting the phone then there will be no updates because of the bootloader.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress