Bionic Battery Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Preach2k

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
This was just posted in the Thunderbolt forums:

Listen to what he says it has it has Battery Management. He says that the Bionic will have better Battery life then The Droid X. My wife DX last all day during Heavy usage. My friend has a Atrix and the Battery life is excellent. Look at the video again the battery did not loose strength after the video. If you want the TB then get it is a good phone but like I said earlier HTC Battery Life Sucks... Motorola has always had the better Battery life. After messing around with the TB and the Atrix. My mind is made up. I will be going with the Bionic it is just a better phone in my opinion. It is up to you to make your decision.

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
This was just posted in the Thunderbolt forums:

I'm not sure how much stock I'd put in a video from CES regarding battery life. So many changes to the device can occur, particularly with respect to the port of the OS, that can improve the overall experience. I wonder if the same issues were seen with the Thunderbolt at CES, and if they match up with what people are experiencing with the released device with real-world use.

Preach2k

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure how much stock I'd put in a video from CES regarding battery life. So many changes to the device can occur, particularly with respect to the port of the OS, that can improve the overall experience. I wonder if the same issues were seen with the Thunderbolt at CES, and if they match up with what people are experiencing with the released device with real-world use.

You are correct and also the Phone was not optimized at CES...

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Oh I'm going with the Bionic...I am LOVING the battery life I'm getting from my extended battery in the Droid X. If the Bionic is even better I will be amazed. This Droid X is the first smartphone device I've owned that can literally start when I start and end when I end, which is all I have ever wanted. I don't have to selectively only do certain things because I'm running out of juice, etc. I can just go with it. I'm at 66% after 6.5 hours. And I'm in a really bad coverage area and have been using it quite a bit today.

Anyway, I just wanted to pass on what was posted there as it seemed relevant here.

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Oh I'm going with the Bionic...I am LOVING the battery life I'm getting from my extended battery in the Droid X. If the Bionic is even better I will be amazed. This Droid X is the first smartphone device I've owned that can literally start when I start and end when I end, which is all I have ever wanted. I don't have to selectively only do certain things because I'm running out of juice, etc. I can just go with it. I'm at 66% after 6.5 hours. And I'm in a really bad coverage area and have been using it quite a bit today.

Anyway, I just wanted to pass on what was posted there as it seemed relevant here.

I'm with you French. Hope it didn't sound like I was shooting the messenger. I appreciate the post and link.

terrain

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
Regardless of HTC's history with batteries the MAJOR problem with the TB, and yes I own one, is the capacity of the included battery @1400. All TB owners need, myself included, is a battery with more capacity that can fit in the OEM battery cover or slightly larger like the DX's extended battery. 1700 to 1800 would help a great deal.

Preach2k

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Regardless of HTC's history with batteries the MAJOR problem with the TB, and yes I own one, is the capacity of the included battery @1400. All TB owners need, myself included, is a battery with more capacity that can fit in the OEM battery cover or slightly larger like the DX's extended battery. 1700 to 1800 would help a great deal.

I agree but that extended Battery the have for make it loose its sleekness. It makes it fat... If they can make a more powerful battery but the same size as the one in it.. My friend is thinking of returning his because of the battery life and it is just to bulky with the extended battery..

terrain

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
I agree but that extended Battery the have for make it loose its sleekness. It makes it fat... If they can make a more powerful battery but the same size as the one in it.. My friend is thinking of returning his because of the battery life and it is just to bulky with the extended battery..

Yes. The extended available today is 2700 its way too big in size and more ma than many would need to get a days worth.

I'm using my x and TB alongside a viphone and what strikes me when using the TB is how smooth it is '' soon to root and custom rom and could be uber fast.

Preach2k

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Yes. The extended available today is 2700 its way too big in size and more ma than many would need to get a days worth.

I'm using my x and TB alongside a viphone and what strikes me when using the TB is how smooth it is '' soon to root and custom rom and could be uber fast.

I am not a person that roots my phones and I have a question. If you root the phone does it get better battery life?

terrain

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
I am not a person that roots my phones and I have a question. If you root the phone does it get better battery life?

Root allows you to remove STUFF/BLOAT that can be running in the background etc.. Root access is necessary to load some programs that allow you to freeze/remove. Less stuff running can equate to better battery life.

Combine with custom rom and you can realize some real battery benefits.

I really like my DX -- once rooted and custom ROM loaded (Liberty at the moment) "like" turned to LOVE. Give me a DX with LTE and I would look no further.

Jeffdubya757

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
It is definitely a possibility...it depends what you do now that you have administrative access to your phone. My original motorola droid's increased when I underclocked my processor. As my battery drained over time I had my processor speed slow down.

Kmasum

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Had thunderbolt for 3 days, it's a awesome phone with crapy battery life, I was getting 3 hrs on 4G network... my 4G speed was 12mb!!! But hated the battery so took back to store, they charged me 35 bucks restocking fees... I am waiting for increadible s!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

terrain

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
Had thunderbolt for 3 days, it's a awesome phone with crapy battery life, I was getting 3 hrs on 4G network... my 4G speed was 12mb!!! But hated the battery so took back to store, they charged me 35 bucks restocking fees... I am waiting for increadible s!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Did you try to get them to waive the 35? I read some posts where folks said they were able to get it waived -- worth a try.

xcalibur1011

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
well looks like I will also be retuning my thunderbolt which is sad because it's a better looking phone than the bionic and I like sense but I should be able to go through a whole with a phone without tinkering with it to last longer, it's like a man with performance issues trying to keep up with his significant other and is taking that special pill.

Koato

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I loved my thunderbolt for the 3 days that I had it, but the battery was unforgivable.. It looks like the bionic will do better in that area so far... so I'm hoping that it will be my phone for 2 years as I lovelovelove the android OS.

If it lacks a 4G toggle, that will influence my decision pretty heavily too.. The TB did not have this and living on a fringe area it killed my battery even faster.

PS: I will miss the sweet kickstand. rofl :)

Preach2k

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I loved my thunderbolt for the 3 days that I had it, but the battery was unforgivable.. It looks like the bionic will do better in that area so far... so I'm hoping that it will be my phone for 2 years as I lovelovelove the android OS.

If it lacks a 4G toggle, that will influence my decision pretty heavily too.. The TB did not have this and living on a fringe area it killed my battery even faster.

PS: I will miss the sweet kickstand. rofl :)

At my local Verizon store I was told that they had gotten 9 returned Thunderbolts in the last 3 days. And my friend returned his also to his local Verizon they tried to talk him into getting a bigger battery but he told them it will be to bulky and loose its sleekness. This battery problem is huge issue.

Koato

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
After my 2nd day with it I knew that the return rate was going to be high, that was part of my reasoning for not using the whole 14 day trial. I knew there would be some improvement but I could tell it would not be enough, and I did not want to deal with disgruntled salespersons used to having almost every TB they sold come back.. I really do hope the MotoBC can last long enough for me. Bringing the TB back broke my <3 haha.

I made a thread about my dealings with the Thunderbolt batterylife, and got flamed by some of the lesser social members of this forum.. as if they did not want to read anything negative about the TB(In which they should have chose to leave my thread after the first post, but I guess they were offended for whatever reason. haha.) Oh well...

This time around I will wait(with my dirty old phone) for post release feedback on the MotoBC instead of jumping in on launch day.. It was fun but I will stick to my old habits of making more informed decisions.

If the MotoBC is a letdown for me... Then I guess I'll look into either the DX / samsung fascinate since 4G seems to be part of the battery omnomnom'ing.. or possibly the iPhone(shhhh).

terrain

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
At my local Verizon store I was told that they had gotten 9 returned Thunderbolts in the last 3 days. And my friend returned his also to his local Verizon they tried to talk him into getting a bigger battery but he told them it will be to bulky and loose its sleekness. This battery problem is huge issue.

Nice thirty five bucks a pop.....very smart buy.

trailblazen

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
After my 2nd day with it I knew that the return rate was going to be high, that was part of my reasoning for not using the whole 14 day trial. I knew there would be some improvement but I could tell it would not be enough, and I did not want to deal with disgruntled salespersons used to having almost every TB they sold come back.. I really do hope the MotoBC can last long enough for me. Bringing the TB back broke my <3 haha.

I made a thread about my dealings with the Thunderbolt batterylife, and got flamed by some of the lesser social members of this forum.. as if they did not want to read anything negative about the TB(In which they should have chose to leave my thread after the first post, but I guess they were offended for whatever reason. haha.) Oh well...

This time around I will wait(with my dirty old phone) for post release feedback on the MotoBC instead of jumping in on launch day.. It was fun but I will stick to my old habits of making more informed decisions.

If the MotoBC is a letdown for me... Then I guess I'll look into either the DX / samsung fascinate since 4G seems to be part of the battery omnomnom'ing.. or possibly the iPhone(shhhh).

I just suggested to a friend who just got his TB today to take it back and wait for bionic. Poor guy knows squat about phones, was asking around work (except me) and went off to buy a TB. Warned him about the battery problems, the lesser specs to the Bionic and some of the high points and he said he would be returning it and wished to H3ll he talked to me before diving in LOL. I just do my homework before diving into something that costs over $100 (hell $50 with the economy the way it is). I'm not even a "motofanboy", hell I am stuck with a Blackberry Storm2 I am ready to chuck off a roof when the bionic comes out and have never even owned a motorola/Droid phone before so its not that. I just painstakenly researched the 4 LTE phones (TB, Bioinic, Stealth, Revolution) releasing for VZ these past few months and the only one that stood out above them all was the bionic. So looking out for my friend who just dropped money on a TB I suggested he get rid of it so he could at least get his moneys worth in the long run LOL. Heck he already was noticing the battery issue on day one so it wasn't hard to convince him let alone that he would have to buy a bigger battery for his BRAND NEW OUT OF THE BOX phone so that he could get some sort of battery life out of it comparable to the out of the box time a Bionic should with a bigger stock battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.