Returnd to Old Stock, unrootd, got OTA EP4 - want to root/debloat

sabbyATL

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Hi All,

I have the Samsung Droid Charge, bought in July. I rooted it early on.

I heard the new EP4 was coming OTA but that my phone wouldn't get it so long as I was rooted and on the leaked EP4. (I am thinking it was fine that I was rooted, just that it wasn't fine that I didn't have stock).

So, I went back to how it came out of the box - unrooted with stock.

Sure enough, as soon as I did that I got the system update and now have EP4 (2.3.6).

I would like to root now and debloat the phone of all the crap apps, also disable the boot animation (I know how to do that, just need to be rooted). Of course the wireless tethering is something I want back.

So, here's the deal. I'm a statistician for a living so I have computer chops of someone who like that. Which means more than most but not like you folks. Enough so that I don't need to be completely hand fed, just pointed in various proper directions.

I did do searches of this forum, xda, and others and found a lot of good info but I couldn't get anything to work. So, I know the error is with me.

I need to know how to root the phone and retain the stock.

I need to be pointed in the direction of debloating.

Thanks in advance and if I've missed some obvious post, I apologize.

Best,

Sabby

sabbyATL

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Re: Returnd to Old Stock, unrootd, got OTA EP4 - want to root/deb

Will no one help me?

Just a link on how to root without flashing a ROM?

:'(

Does it help at all that I'm female?*

* Desperate girl gets desperate

cmarks03

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site

I just flashed stock EP4 to my charge courtesy of the good folks at XDA, an unfortunate side-effect of which is me needing to restore my stuff from Titanium Backup. I found the following thread:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/dr...-stock-gingerbread-want-root.html#post1442609

Based on reading that post, it will replace the stock recovery with CWM, then update.zip will put SuperUser.apk and su in the correct partition. It doesn't look like it will do anything else. At least that's what I think it's gonna do.

Don't forget to install the battery after the phone gets into download mode but BEFORE you hit Start in ODIN (I had a bit of an OH $#!^ moment when I saw it fail before I realized what I did and that at most I killed recovery and not the bootloader).

I'm now rooted.

sabbyATL

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site

OK, so you're awesome for this alone. I gotta go to my kid's thing, but I am trying this either tonight or tomorrow and will come back to report.

Part of my problem, I think, is terminology. I don't think I understand fully what I'm reading with regards to hacking android phones. And, as a scientist, I am more used to clearly laid out methodology, which is not, and should not be, the culture of hacking.

Thanks, again.

ellisz

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site

DL the SU file and put on your SD card:
http://www.toms-world.org/android/download/httpmirror/Superuser-3.0.7-efgh-signed.zip

DL the CMrecovery.
[RECOVERY][12-9-11]Clockwork Mod Recovery - xda-developers
Use Odin and the PDA button to load this. Un-check auto reboot.

Once finished, boot into recovery. Hold power+home+ vol up. After the first samsung logo, let go of power. There might be other ways but this works for me.

Once into recovery, flash the super user file above.

Then reboot. This will get you root with the stock kernel.

Just saw Landsharks post here:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/droid-charge-rooting-roms-hacks/137538-stock-gingerbread-want-root.html
Says the same thing but I think CWR has been updated.
This is where I am. I am using Go Launcher EX to hide all of the bloat. I have not found a good de-bloat thread yet. I would love to know what is safe to remove but hiding is working so far.

HTH

Terrigno

Italiano Papi
Jul 12, 2010
Visit site

Well there is a program called "File Explorer" which is a few bucks in the market. And it only works on Rooted Phones. Thats simply a file explorer app that will access all of the files on the phone and will allow you to delete and move around what you want. You download that, go to system/app and all the apps installed on the phone will be there. See all the Verizon ones? Delete away. I wouldnt be worried as much as to what gets deleted because (its not allowing you to get OTA updates with Verizon). If your used to flashing roms and going back to stock and what not, then you will know what to do if there ever was another OTA and how you can get it.

Like for instance, if you delete a system file that messes anything up. You can always re-flash the ROM or flash another ROM and you will get it all back. Just use commen sense to see what file your deleting. Like any Verizon Labeled files you dont want. Once you delete the Verizon files though, you wont get an OTA. And truthfully, I dont believe anymore OTAs will come out for this phone.

sabbyATL

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site

Hi All,

So I just did this and now I am rooted! Thanks so much! I actually had tried this before and failed, but I think I was distracted by my kid at the time.

Off to disable my boot animation and get rid of the bloat!

Thanks again!

lordbear

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site

Don't forget to install the battery after the phone gets into download mode but BEFORE you hit Start in ODIN (I had a bit of an OH $#!^ moment when I saw it fail before I realized what I did and that at most I killed recovery and not the bootloader)..

I did not see instructions to remove the battery in the OP. So, why are you warning us about installing the battery?

cmarks03

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site

I did not see instructions to remove the battery in the OP. So, why are you warning us about installing the battery?

In order to put the Charge into download mode, you need to remove the battery, then hold volume-down when you plug in the USB cable. At least that's the way I have been doing it and what I've read from various posts on the topic.

soulsurvives

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site

In order to put the Charge into download mode, you need to remove the battery, then hold volume-down when you plug in the USB cable. At least that's the way I have been doing it and what I've read from various posts on the topic.

to put the charge into download mode just restart the phone and hold the volume down button as soon as it turns off....once it powers up it will be in download mode....i have flashed more things than i care to talk about with this phone and i never have to take the case off....:D

dwitherell

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
to put the charge into download mode just restart the phone and hold the volume down button as soon as it turns off....once it powers up it will be in download mode....i have flashed more things than i care to talk about with this phone and i never have to take the case off....:D

+1

papa54

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site

welp yer one of the lucky ones i have to pull my battery then connect usb to pc while holding volumn button down.. be sure Odin is already started so it can see yer ph. after its in DL mode then stick the battery back in the ph and run odin...

ellisz

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site

welp yer one of the lucky ones i have to pull my battery then connect usb to pc while holding volumn button down.. be sure Odin is already started so it can see yer ph. after its in DL mode then stick the battery back in the ph and run odin...

That is what I had to do as well.