[Odin][Rom][6/20/11]AC's Altered Beast **Alpha 5** EE4 based

deng66

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
Miss the old icons and deeper black notification bar, ahem :p

Same here! LOVE this ROM but I uninstalled the patch because I loved the black notification bar and new icons more that I was bothered by the few menus I couldn't read easily through the carbon fiber!

Thanks for everything guys (but having the dark black notification bar back would seriously rock!)

wgasa84

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm definitely looking forward to this being a full featured ROM (well, out of Alpha...). I can't wait to root my Charge and get it on there. I just don't have the time to keep updating the phone with each new update.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
using root explorer move them yourself.

Not sure, but I think it may install it to the system folder. When I checked the app size in the settings section it says Maps 36k and Gmail 176k. Yet I am pretty sure it took up space, when your phone only has 1.04GB of free phone storage you really want to make sure the built in apps are updating to the system folder, which could very well be happening.

I also did start to notice some of the menus that are hard to read through the carbon fiber, but I started out with V4+4.1.1 patch so I wasn't aware of how V4 looked on it's own.

I may experiment tonight and flash back to Rooted Stock ED1, then install just V4 and get a sense from that before I put the patch back on. Any word on V5 or what types of continued enhancements will be coming along.

Battery life so far for me, started my phone at 7am, push email from Gmail and Exchange, installed a few updated apps and made 2 calls, currently @ 85% on an extended battery.

Aixelsyd

May 29, 2011
Visit site
Stayed up late last night so I could get my Charge back to stock and make sure it was clean. I loaded AB here along with the patch 4.1.1 and its a great ROM. I know there is some theming still to go but really its a super slick ROM.

I have one suggestion is it possible to have the latest Gmail and Google Maps put into the System folder instead of d/l them and wasting what little internal app storage. I noticed after install I went from 1.12GB to 1.04GB (rfs to ext4 conversion eats up a little of that).

Gmail and Maps is already in system. the updates Google pushes out via Market go into /data. And if you put everything in /system and Google pushes and update out it won't update correctly.

I've gotta ask tho why would you be concerned about space as I'm just curious. It is highly unlikely you will eat up over 1Gb of internal memory just by apps and other stuff installed from the market. Most apps are not very big. Personally to this day I don't get understand everyone wants all this internal mem. For me give me more RAM in DDR2 or DDR3 and the biggest sdcard possible and I'm covered.

brianct1972

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
I know I have read a couple people having a battery drain with altered beast and would like to ask a couple questions

what version are you on?
did you do a factory reset after loading the rom?
did it just install over your current rom?

I installed AB over my rooted rom and was not getting great battery life for what I was doing. So I did a factory reset from cwm and reloaded everything exactly how it was before I restored and it seemed to cure what ever my problem was.

When I first installed AB it did not wipe my phone, everything was there like before the rom was on it, ringtones, settings everything. I would wantch my phone drop 3% sometimes just checking an email, even with the screen off not using the phone it would chew through 5% an hour.

Now after restoring my phone last night it has been almost 9 hours since I took it off the charger and I have only used 8%

I was also getting a low quadrant score, 1101 before and 1500+ after the restore

if you are having battery issues you might want to try restoring the phone

Did you wipe clean, then restored your backup, or wiped clean and started fresh?

gunnermike53

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I also did start to notice some of the menus that are hard to read through the carbon fiber, but I started out with V4+4.1.1 patch so I wasn't aware of how V4 looked on it's own.

I may experiment tonight and flash back to Rooted Stock ED1, then install just V4 and get a sense from that before I put the patch back on. Any word on V5 or what types of continued enhancements will be coming along.

Battery life so far for me, started my phone at 7am, push email from Gmail and Exchange, installed a few updated apps and made 2 calls, currently @ 85% on an extended battery.

i need screen shots. i dont have a charge, so im doing this blind.

im working as fast as i can, we will have v5.....sometime. it takes a lot of toilet paper to clean up all this poop.

brianct1972

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
I am not sure how to get the patch installed, I downloaded 4.1.1, moved it on to my SD card, but I am stuck here:

4. Put the kernel on root of sd, or you can leave it in download folder, but DON'T rename the file
5. Boot into Clockwork MOD recovery (either from ROM Manager or manually- hold volume up and down at same time and press power button, then select "apply sdcard: update.zip"
6. In recovery select "Install zip from sd card"
7. Select "Choose zip from sd card"

Which Zip file am I looking for or trying to install?

mylasthope

May 13, 2010
Visit site
For the Evo 4g, Calkulin made a flashable zip (format_all) that wipes everything on the phone that I used to use before flashing a new rom. Would that work on our phones through CWM? Also, would it be recommended before using odin? :)

tdenton1138

May 22, 2011
Visit site
I am not sure how to get the patch installed, I downloaded 4.1.1, moved it on to my SD card, but I am stuck here:

4. Put the kernel on root of sd, or you can leave it in download folder, but DON'T rename the file
5. Boot into Clockwork MOD recovery (either from ROM Manager or manually- hold volume up and down at same time and press power button, then select "apply sdcard: update.zip"
6. In recovery select "Install zip from sd card"
7. Select "Choose zip from sd card"

Which Zip file am I looking for or trying to install?

You are looking for altered_beast_4.1.1.zip
If you can't find it in the root of the SD card, maybe try moving it to your downloads folder first then navigate to that through cwm. Also, I have not been able to get cwm to go 'back' at all, although maybe that's just me. My point being, make sure you navigate to the right folder since you may have to pull the battery if you can't back out of the wrong folder. It also seemed like I got the phone to turn off in cwm by holding the power button down for a bit. ymmv

Also, I like using dropbox for these little files. Its a quick and easy way to get (smaller) files onto the sd card

dubge

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
Holy jesus...that's amazing battery life. So all you did was perform a factory reset on the device? Or did you flash the ED1 stock ROM in Odin and did you stay rooted? And then you had to re-install this ROM, right?

I have SetCPU installed running Altered Beast. Is there a need for it? I have it set to underclock when the screen is off, thinking it will save battery life. Am I right thinking that?

I went into the boot menu and selected factory reset and it reset and cleared all my data so it was just the altered beast rom on my phone and I had to go through the setup when you first get the phone and enter your gmail account. After that I installed the AB update and restored all my apps and settings. This was at around 1am and when the phone was done charging I unplugged it. it sat untouched from 1 am ish to 8 am when my alarm went off and I got up and that was all it used for battery.

I knew something was up and this rom was not working right for me. I would guess it had something to do with my settings or something clashing with the stock rom.

I have used my phone a lot today, almost an hour in phone calls, texts, emails and a little web surfing and I am at 70% left

I am a very happy camper not that I got this squared away!!!

dubge

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
quadrent is stupid.

it might be but it showed me something was not right and ultimately got me to wipe my phone and now it is working like it should :)

also if anyone else is having battery issues try to wipe you phone, you dont have to reinstall any roms, just reinstall your apps and settings. I was hoping to keep my post separate from this thread so we can track down what is causing the battery drain. I dont want it to get lost in all these posts. There must be something we all have in common with the battery drain issue

brianct1972

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
If you can't find it in the root of the SD card, maybe try moving it to your downloads folder first then navigate to that through cwm. Also, I have not been able to get cwm to go 'back' at all, although maybe that's just me. My point being, make sure you navigate to the right folder since you may have to pull the battery if you can't back out of the wrong folder. It also seemed like I got the phone to turn off in cwm by holding the power button down for a bit. ymmv

Also, I like using dropbox for these little files. Its a quick and easy way to get (smaller) files onto the sd card

Thanks, this worked perfectly!! My mistake was extracting the file on to my SD card rather then dragging it in to the downloads folder.

dubge

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
How does one go about getting their quadrant score??

download the free quadrant app in the market and run the app

I never use it to determine if I like a phone or how good it actually is but in this case it showed me something was not right because my score was lower then it should have been

markkitos

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site

if you cycle thru the menu 3 or 4 times the "go back" option appears

brianct1972

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
I went into the boot menu and selected factory reset and it reset and cleared all my data so it was just the altered beast rom on my phone and I had to go through the setup when you first get the phone and enter your gmail account. After that I installed the AB update and restored all my apps and settings. This was at around 1am and when the phone was done charging I unplugged it. it sat untouched from 1 am ish to 8 am when my alarm went off and I got up and that was all it used for battery.

I knew something was up and this rom was not working right for me. I would guess it had something to do with my settings or something clashing with the stock rom.

I have used my phone a lot today, almost an hour in phone calls, texts, emails and a little web surfing and I am at 70% left

I am a very happy camper not that I got this squared away!!!

I would do this, but it would take hours to run throught the initial set-up and get my work email running as well as it does through K-9 right now.

My battery life isn't very good, so I may resort to your process if I can talk myself into having to reinstall everything again.