Post #1=CWM basics
Post #2=What is Voodoo
Post #3=How to Voodoo
Post #4=How to unVoodoo
Post #5=Troubleshooting Voodoo
Post #6=How to tell if Voodoo is enabled
[/INFO]

[INFO]Download the newest recovery from imnuts.[/INFO]

Make sure you thank imnuts for all his hard in making CWM fully functional.(its not done yet, but it will be cause he's awsome and he likes banana's)

Clock Work MOD or CWM, is a recovery replacement for the Samsung Android Phones. In CWM you can create back up’s of ROM’s, restore to a previous back up, format data, clear cache, wipe dalvick cache, wipe battery stats and more. I will explain the basics for now and into more depth later.

Booting to CWM.
1. With the phone powered off, hold down the vol up, Home button and the power button all at the same time. 2. When you see the “Samsung” logo, let go of the power button. 3. After a few seconds you will see a screen that has red writing and a few lines of text, that is CWM.

CWM Menu
-reboot system now -apply update from sdcard -wipe data/factory reset -wipe cache partition -install zip from sdcard -backup and restore -mounts and storage -advanced -voodoo -power off

Now most of that is self-explanatory, so we won’t dwell too much on each right now.

[NOTE]Use the menu key as the back button.[/NOTE]

Creating a system back up is the first thing you should learn to do, and the first thing you should do before screwing with your phone. I don’t back up every time I install something new. What I do is set my phone up just how I want it. Then I back that up. This is my working back up. If I screw up my phone at least I can get through the day until I have time to flash a new ROM. The system back up is just the ROM; it does not back up the radio or the kernel. It creates an image of your system.

Backing up your ROM.
1. Using the volume down key move the high light to “backup and restore” 2. Use the power key to select 3. Use power key to select to select backup This part can take several minutes, so be patient.

Installing A New ROM or Theme or whatever
1. Using the volume down key move the high light to “install zip from sdcard” 2. Use the power key to select 3. Move down to choose zip from sdcard 4. Use power key to select 5. Navigate to the folder and file you want to flash 6. Select with power key 7. Now you will see this: –no –no –no –no –no –no –yes –no –no –no 8. Arrow down to yes 9. Select with power button Once you are done, use the menu button to back up to the home screen and select reboot system.
Installing A New ROM or Theme or whatever

Last edited:

gunnermike53

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
What is Voodoo

What is Voodoo?

Voodoo is a kernel replacement. Our phones use a proprietary RFS file system built as a legacy FAT, adding indexing and POSIX permission on the internal 2gb memory. There is nothing wrong with RFS, but it?s slow. From what I understand it indexes everything. This takes time, causing lag. Voodoo reformats the internal SD card with standard Linux EXT4. EXT4 is a faster. This filing system is what is reffered to as the lag fix.

Voodoo also makes the screen sharper, and has some improvemnets to sound quality as well. These have nothing to do with the lag fix portion of voodoo.

Voodoo Enhancements:
Voodoo Lagfix
Voodoo Sound
Backlight Notifications
Slightly undervolted
interactive cpu governor
Color enhancements

[WARN]Voodoo Rules:

1. Don?t panic. I seriously doubt you can screw up your phone worse than I have screwed up mine. Everything is un-screw-able.

2. Don?t flash a non-voodoo kernel over a voodoo kernel. If you do stupid crap will happen to your phone. It won?t boot for one, and you will break CWM.[/WARN]

Last edited by a moderator:

gunnermike53

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
How to Vooodoo

1. Flash a voodoo kernel of your choice. It doesn’t matter if you flash individually or with a rom.
2. Restart Phone.
3. Wait
4. Wait
5. Wait
6. Wait…. Seriously, it takes anywhere 2 to 15 minutes. During this time you will hear a female robot (or perhaps, a female android) talking.
7. Once the phone restarts you are done!!!

It really is that simple.

Last edited:

gunnermike53

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
How to unVoodoo

How to UnVoodoo

The key to uninstalling voodoo is CWM. To be specific you don’t uninstall voodoo, you disable the lag fix. Once that’s done you can flash a new non-voodoo kernel.

1. Boot into recovery.

2. Select “voodoo”.

3. Select “disable lag fix”.

4. Press soft menu button.

5. Select “reboot system now”

6. Wait.

7. Wait.

8. Wait.

9. Wait. Just like during the install, this will take 2-15 minutes, while its reformatting your internal SD card.

10. Your phone will then restart. At this point you still have a voodoo kernel, the lag fix has just been disabled.

11. Reboot to recovery.

12. Flash non-voodoo kernel of your choice.

Note: If you are flashing from one voodoo kernel to another, you do not need to disable lag fix.

Last edited:

gunnermike53

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Trouble Shooting Voodoo

Trouble Shooting.

In order to trouble shoot i had to create some trouble to shoot. So i decided to break the rules.

Rule # 1. Dont panic. I started with rule number one because that seemed the logical place to start. However i had nothing to panic about, so i just looked silly. We wont talk about that.

Rule # 2. Dont flash a non voodoo kernel over a voodoo kernel without disableing the lag fix first. I got some results out of this. I bricked my phone. As I have done this 5000000000 times before, I still had no luck with rule number one. My phone how would no longer boot past the Samsung screen. so i rebooted into recovery, and got blue CWM. I tried to apply update.zip and got E:fail blah blah blah.

The reason for this is the filing system is still EXT4. A non voodoo kernel does not know how to talk EXT4, it only speaks RFS. In order to fix the brick we have to do the missing step, disable lag fix.

1. Put the phone in download mode and flash Red CWM.

2. Reboot into recovery. You should now have Red CWM.

3. Select "voodoo"

4. Select "disable lag fix"

5. When you return to the menu, press the menu soft button

6. Reboot. Again this will take 2-15 minutes as the filing system is converted from EXT4 to RFS.

Thats it. That is the only problem I could make happen related to voodoo.

Last edited:

gunnermike53

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
How do I tell if I have voodoo enabled

It is often asked "How do I know if I have voodoo?" The simplest way is to run an app called Quadrent. Quadrent is a benchmark app. Scores above 1000 means you have voodoo.

The proper way is to use a terminal emulator and type "mount".
You will see this:

Code:
mount
rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
proc /proc proc rw,relatime 0 0
sys /sys sysfs rw,relatime 0 0
/dev/block/stl9 /system [B]ext4[/B] rw,relatime,barrier=0,data=writeback,noauto_da_all oc 0 0
/dev/block/stl11 /cache [B]ext4[/B] rw,noatime,barrier=0,data=writeback,noauto_da_allo c 0 0
/dev/block/stl10 /dbdata [B]ext4[/B] rw,noatime,barrier=0,nodelalloc,data=ordered,noaut o_da_alloc 0 0
/dev/block/mmcblk0p1 /data [B]ext4[/B] rw,noatime,barrier=1,data=ordered,noauto_da_alloct he

ext4 is what you are looking for. If you see RFS in any of the 4 locations you dont have voodoo or just one of the partitions has voodoo.

Last edited by a moderator:

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
Mike,

This phones current cwm does not work like the fascinate. Imnuts has a new cwm for us which is embeded in his current kernel, but it presently does not flash when installing his kernel.

So for now we use jt1134 cwm which has some shortcomings.

The button mapping is not working. The menu button does nothing. To go back in the menus, you have to scroll 3 times thru a menu and a "go back" option shows up. You can then select that to go back with the power button.

The vol up and down plus power button combo does not work. We do a vol up/home/power button combo to get into cwm.

Also I would advise not to do nandroids for now as many ppl have reported various probs when doing a restore. The backup function works ok, but without restore wouldn't be much use.

rescueswimmer

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
Ok thanks I am getting my courage up.....:)

Read-Reread-reread once again. Ask any potential question that you could think of. If something does not look right during the flash leave it alone. Seek help and or advise before proceeding.

I was able to root simply no issues but I thought I had an issue so i uninstalled super user then I was screwed when I tried to re-root. Droidxcon fixed me up in about 10 key strokes. Then I ran the AB4 with out any issues. RS

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa