Soak Test Reboot problems on Rooted maxx

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
I unrooted by going the FXZ via RSDlite fastboot route. It sucked in that it completely wiped my phone (and that I had to reload everything that was not already backed up via cloud storage), but I was able to go into the soak test feeling well prepared and unlikely to encounter problems related to root.

And fortunately, that has in fact been the case. Installed the update early this morning and all systems go ever since.

I'm thinking I'd like to unroot and go back to 100% stock. What method did you use? I rooted with PwnMyMoto and am thinking of using House of Moto to unroot. I'm just nervous and want to make sure I don't screw up my phone.

jfriend33

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
Please tell me even though it wasn't listed, but that the navigation button backlighting has been addressed?

Sent from my XT1080m using Tapatalk

18t

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
I unrooted by going the FXZ via RSDlite fastboot route. It sucked in that it completely wiped my phone (and that I had to reload everything that was not already backed up via cloud storage), but I was able to go into the soak test feeling well prepared and unlikely to encounter problems related to root.

And fortunately, that has in fact been the case. Installed the update early this morning and all systems go ever since.

where did you get the files from? did you use the moto x firmware? or is there a specific one for the droids? just rooted my phone by accident, didnt realize that a restart was going to root it after installing pwn and not running it.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Please tell me even though it wasn't listed, but that the navigation button backlighting has been addressed?

The navigation lights go off when you are watching a Netflix movie. I've read the same is true for daydream mode (or whatever that is called.) I don't know about anything else.

goliatham

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
The navigation lights go off when you are watching a Netflix movie. I've read the same is true for daydream mode (or whatever that is called.) I don't know about anything else.

Unless it's a setting somewhere that I missed, it's not true for daydream. I had to download Capacative Buttons app (for root) to turn them off. Even that has them always off.

Casen

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm experiencing the same issue and nothing is working. Don't know what to do here.

Edit: HouseofMoto helped me out big time. I was able to fix my phone and keep all my data. It unrooted it, but a small price to pay for a functional phone. Best of luck.

Did you just flash the recovery.Img?

Sent from my DROID MAXX via Tapatalk 4.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Unless it's a setting somewhere that I missed, it's not true for daydream. I had to download Capacative Buttons app (for root) to turn them off. Even that has them always off.

I've never used daydream, but just turned it on to check. There were no capacitive buttons lit. I had daydream set to start either when docked or charging.

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
The house of moto will allow you to return to stock without losing data so you can run the ota update. Then you can use rockmymoto to re acquire root.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 4

jfriend33

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
The house of moto will allow you to return to stock without losing data so you can run the ota update. Then you can use rockmymoto to re acquire root.

You don't have to use rock my moto. That setup looked very confusing to me.

I appreciated the much simpler method of fxz save data, install but don't run pwnmymoto, accept update. Done.

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
You don't have to use rock my moto. That setup looked very confusing to me.

I appreciated the much simpler method of fxz save data, install but don't run pwnmymoto, accept update. Done.

Yea, I had seen that works, too. So just to be clear for people, what you're saying to do is:

o) House of Moto KEEP DATA script to return to full stock
o) Install pwnmymoto, but, DO NOT RUN IT at this stage
o) Install the OTA update
o) Now run pwnmymoto

That will give you the new update, with root.

Westiemom

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
Instructions were very specific about rooted phones. I have non- rooted Ultra and have had no problems and quite a few improvements. I know some have had some issues, but it has been a minority for whatever reasons.

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Instructions were very specific about rooted phones. I have non- rooted Ultra and have had no problems and quite a few improvements. I know some have had some issues, but it has been a minority for whatever reasons.

It's not whatever reasons, it's very specific reasons. The root method used replaces stock recovery with the boot partition because the recovery partition always boots with system writable. By replacing the recovery partition with the boot partition and then booting to recovery, it essentially makes it so you can write to system, installing root. That's great except for when you then want to take an OTA. What people failed to do was restore stock recovery before taking the OTA and thus bootlooping. Hopefully a lesson learned to the root users of the world. :D

Westiemom

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
It's not whatever reasons, it's very specific reasons. The root method used replaces stock recovery with the boot partition because the recovery partition always boots with system writable. By replacing the recovery partition with the boot partition and then booting to recovery, it essentially makes it so you can write to system, installing root. That's great except for when you then want to take an OTA. What people failed to do was restore stock recovery before taking the OTA and thus bootlooping. Hopefully a lesson learned to the root users of the world. :D

I understand that. I should have clarified. I meant some who had NOT rooted still had some issues, but it seemed to be a minority of non- rooted phones and I don't think even Moto was sure why those folks had problems.

jfriend33

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
Yea, I had seen that works, too. So just to be clear for people, what you're saying to do is:

o) House of Moto KEEP DATA script to return to full stock
o) Install pwnmymoto, but, DO NOT RUN IT at this stage
o) Install the OTA update
o) Now run pwnmymoto

That will give you the new update, with root.

You don't need to run pwn. It runs on its own to root, just to clarify.

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

OK. I've never run it as I don't own a moto phone anymore. But that sounds easy to use at least. Just remember to replace stock recovery before the next ota.

jfriend33

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
I am having a strange intermittent issue. When in landscape it's hard to type because the proximity sensor is shutting my display off. Luckily typing in portrait isn't impacted.

I wish they would've done more with the nav buttons since they only want to turn off for Netflix (not youtube, xfinity, stock video player, or mx. Disabling them completely has always been an option but I get my phone turned around sometimes.

That's about the only feature I think is superior on the s4 lol.

Charles Az

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

When you say it runs on it's own, do you mean it automatically runs at boot? So that would mean I need to install pwnmymoto (without running it) and then install the OTA update with no reboots in between?

jfriend33

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
When you say it runs on it's own, do you mean it automatically runs at boot? So that would mean I need to install pwnmymoto (without running it) and then install the OTA update with no reboots in between?

When the phone reboots after the update it may reboot another time or two. Pwn will just do its own thing somehow.

I'm sure it's safer to use rockmymoto in some instances. I just didn't feel comfortable doing it. All these one click tools are nice but I need to get back to using adb etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress