Naked or case

Phadunkin

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
I have the otterbox defender right now.. bought my phone a month ago.. and I honestly dont even feel like I need this huge box on it.

Im in the process of looking for a thinner casual case.. because I dont really drop this thing. but i dont want to have smudges, dirt, etc getting into cracks and just all around.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I don't use a case unless its in my pocket and than it's in a pouch. I thought of buying a screen protector and the Incipio TPU case but I decided against it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I don't have a case or screen protector. Going on 2 months with the Maxx, and all is well.

A case is a YMMV type deal. If you're prone to the dropsies, then it might not be a bad idea to get one for added protection. However, a case is no guarantee that your phone will survive a fall, and it does hide the look of the phone (especially if you get a black-brick Otterbox or something in that vein). Some are so thick, it makes owning the thin Razr pointless. And, in my experience, a case can cause cosmetic damage its trying to protect against. On my Incredible, the edge bezel actually got scratched up from debris getting between the case and the phone. So, its your call, but personally, I'd rather just pay the monthly insurance for a year or so.

As for a screen protector, I had one on my Incredible as well but don't have one on my Maxx. The Maxx does have Gorilla Glass, so you have some scratch protection there already. I feel the SP is just redundant. Just my opinion.

In short, if you're one to re-sell your phone when you're done with it, taking the extra protections might be wise to keep the phone as pristine as possible. Otherwise, just try to be careful and enjoy your phone!

Reactions: adamh190

sherry_d

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
CASE.... fo sho!!

Definitely get a case unless you can easily afford the replacement or you just want to challenge the smart phone Gods... My Motorola RAZR MAXX is not quite 2 months old, and I learned the hard way that Gorilla glass can break fairly easily. It slid out of my jeans front pocket and with about a 2ft drop, shattered the top of the screen. Oddly enough, the phone still functions great. My replacement phone arrived today, and before I took it out of the box, I stopped and picked up a protective case.

Venez68

Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I went with a protective film (https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ource=vb_ac&utm_medium=content&token=5asK_BKr, that's my review btw) because i didn't want extra weight or bulk of a case. The look and feel is pretty good, no complaints so far. As far as the screen protector that came with the kit i opted not to put it on, screen was a bit hazy when i started to apply it. Plus as someone said the gorilla glass should be protection enough unless you're letting your kids play with it!

4TTube

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
I have the Otterbox Commuter on mine and seems to give good protection for the back and around the edges.
It's a shame to have to coverup such a nice looking / feeling phone but if it ever slipped out of my big clumsy hands I would cry!
The Commuter also comes with a screen protector, although it's not the best quality, it does protect the screen. Be careful applying it as the little plastic squeegy thing they give you scratches the crap out of the protector.

Dubbayoo

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I have a Zagg skin under an Otter box defender case. I only use the Otter in the gym.

sherry_d

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
Gorilla glass will break, trust me, and I am an adult who takes care of my stuff. Doesn't have to be kids playing with it. If you don't use a protective case, be sure and buy the insurance.

Venez68

Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Gorilla glass will break, trust me, and I am an adult who takes care of my stuff. Doesn't have to be kids playing with it. If you don't use a protective case, be sure and buy the insurance.

Oh i'm sure it will break, i was thinking more of the gorilla glass protecting against scratching.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

The issue is that the thin cases provide minor protection. Those who want a lot of protection need a big and bulky case. I guess some is better than none, but I chose to go naked and no insurance. I haven't ever dropped or broke a phone except once and that was when I had insurance and botched an Invisible Shield installation and damaged it with water (Thunderbolt).

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
I always get a case for a new phone because I know how much it would cost to replace. After I have had it for a while I take off the case and always wish that I had used it like that all along. In 15 years I had never needed to file an insurance claim on a phone because I damaged it, but 2 weeks ago I dropped my phone and that is why I now have a RAZR. :(

LBTRS

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Always a case and screen protector. Have no idea why you would not protect a $700 device that is prone to being dropped? I'm using an Otterbox Commuter series with a Steinheil screen protector.

jeverts

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
On my DX I've had the OB defender and commuter cases. Had a screen protector for the 1st year, at least with the commuter case. Then, I removed the screen protector and had no problems. Now with the Maxx, I just use the VZ skin with no protection - all is weel as I am careful...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alexpall