Dumb newbie question on e-mail sync.... :)

kingmeow

May 30, 2012
Visit site
OK, how do you sychronize e-mail? I have my Verizon and Yahoo accounts (don't use G-mail much) and what I want to do is if I delete e-mails from either accounts via the Maxx, I want them also deleted on the server side.

Quite annoying when I've gone through and manage all my e-mails while I'm on the road to only log in at home and see they are all there on the server side.

I've searched on this forum to no avail. I also took a look at Settings and the menus when in the e-mail reader. I know it's there somewhere but I can't see to find the setting or switch.

maynardjames

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
OK, how do you sychronize e-mail? I have my Verizon and Yahoo accounts (don't use G-mail much) and what I want to do is if I delete e-mails from either accounts via the Maxx, I want them also deleted on the server side.

Quite annoying when I've gone through and manage all my e-mails while I'm on the road to only log in at home and see they are all there on the server side.

I've searched on this forum to no avail. I also took a look at Settings and the menus when in the e-mail reader. I know it's there somewhere but I can't see to find the setting or switch.

My accounts then add account select other email to set yahoo up to sync folders. You will lose your push notifications though

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

robc51

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Do you have your e-mail set up for IMAP? I had same problem, then checked settings and found it was set for POP. changed to IMAP and it still did not work. So I checked the advanced settings and duplicated what was in my old i-phone and now all works fine. Hope this helps.
--Rob

kingmeow

May 30, 2012
Visit site
What's IMAP?

I went into My Accounts -> Other Settings and noticed that for my Verizon e-mail, the box for "Remove manually deleted e-mails from the server" was not green so I tapped it, it turned greed, and Done.

However, it still does not delete messages from the server when I delete them from the phone. So I went back in and checked again and low and behold that "Remove manually..." box is not green anymore but grayed out. Does that mean it doesn't support that?

Rob, can you provide what settings neccessary from your old iPhone? Still no go on the syncing. :(

Zman1001

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I am not familiar with the stock mail client, but I use K-9 Mail (free) or Kaiten Mail (paid version from same developers as K-9), and both of these have the feature to delete email from server, when deleted from mail client. I absolutely love it. It also will take and delete it from my phone, whenever I have deleted it from the Server through Outlook (after I closed out of Outlook).

The settings you found regarding "delete from server" is the exact same that you would use here. I am not sure why the delete feature would not be gray for you, but I hope you figure it out.

Good luck

kingmeow

May 30, 2012
Visit site
Hey Zman, thanks for the suggestions on other apps. I will take a look at them. I'm not using Outlook at all (though I know that's not reason here) but rather the standard Verizon webmail (netmail.verizon.com).

It's not a show stopper problem but a (major) annoyance that I wanted to get resolve. Maybe I'll go into a Verizon store one of these days when I have time and pass one by.

Zman1001

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I highly recommend looking at other APPs to try and make your experience better. Although the phone is good, there are developers out there that can tweak and make things better from the software/app standpoint.

For example. The stock browser is OK, but Opera, FoxFire, Dolphin HD, etc are much better.

I feel the same way about K-9 or Kaiten (K-10), as it makes a better experience.

I do not develop, nor do I have any interest in the apps I mentioned. I just want to make sure that you were aware that there are other options out there.

Of course, since you use verizon webmail, it would be easier to eliminate, since you are deleting directly off of the server when you delete an email (compared to Outlook aspect). I understand your frustration on wanting the deleted email on phone to also delete from server. Good luck.

robc51

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Kingmeow,
Sorry for delay in answering....I had other ICS issues that I needed to deal with. If you are still having problems with your e-mail sync, it sounded to me like you need to set your mail for IMAP instead of POP.
go to Settings>Accounts & Sync>Your e-mail account>Acct Settings>Your e-mail account>look at bottom of list for Server Settings and set your incoming and outgoing settings. It is probably different for each e-mail client, but mainly you have to input your username, password and make sure that you are on IMAP server instead of POP. this will keep your mail sync'd among your various devices.
Hope this helps. ---Rob