Trouble installing Jellybean

df79transam

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm rooted, i think I've followed everything to a "T" and install in stock recover on my maxx, and it goes a little ways and comes up with and error installing the update, how do I get past this. I've noticed some have said the same thing but I can't find an answer or solution.

df79transam

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
ok, ill do my best to explain, and let me say, I know enough about rooting my phone to the point I can get myself into trouble. I have a razr maxx, I used matts utility 1.81 I think to root my phone, I know it wasn't 1.82. This was a few weeks ago, I was wanting to try jellybean roms. I also installed safestrap 3.05. Will I didn't find a rom that I liked, so I have been pretty much on the Verizon approved .211 with it just rooted. The jellybean os gets accidently released on December 24, just a few days ago. I've been reading, not very thoroughly must I say. I've got voodoo rootkeeper on my phone v2.0.3. I temp unrooted my phone, uninstalled safestrap, and downloaded what I think is the jellybean version that was released just a few days ago. What confuses me though is, its a zip file, I know to put the file on the root of my external sd card, which I done but the file says something like blur_version.6.16.211.xt912verizon.en.us, isn't this the version I already have on my phone, is this an official os version for folks that are on a leak ics version such as .215 to be able to go back to .211. If so, then I know why this keeps failing. Or is this just the file name that someone gave this recent accidental jellybean release from a few days ago. I would really like to sideload this version of jellybean on my maxx.

I tried to do like I believed what I read, I turned the phone off, held both volume buttons down and push the power button to get into what I think is called the bootloader. from there I chose stock recovery, phone reboots itself, and wait just a minute and the android guy laying on its back comes up, push both volume buttons and it brings the options up. from there I wipe the cache, but I didn't want to do a factory data reset. Afterwards I chose the update from external option, maybe you guys know what Im talking about. Then went through the list until I found the blur_version.6.16.211.xt912verizon.en.us, and I select it, it goes to doing its thing, and you think "ok wont be long", and then BOOM, after is says something like checking update, it comes up and says it can't install the update. Right now I'm using fox fi to talk to you guys, so I can't say exactly what the error says.

But Im able to back out of that, and choose to reboot the phone, and Im right back like I was. My curiosity is killing me about Google Now, I want to try it so bad. But I really don't know what Im doing wrong.

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Okay much better. First off, you're going to have use use the utility again and use option 1 to restore to stock ics. The reason it's failing is because there usb probably still something installed that is blocking the installation.

Once you do that, re root your phone and install voodoo again and do this:
Backup root
Temp unroot
Restore roof
Temp unroot
Restore root
(make sure to do it twice just to be safe)

Place the zip on your sd card, yes the file you have is right. Moto names them weird for some reason. Just like the . 181 update said .173 in the file name.

Boot into recovery, and install zip from sd card.

Let it do its thing.

After booting if you can't get root back with voodoo then you will have to download another tool that Matt made that recovers it, but you have to make sure it was backed up with voodoo before you flash jb or you can't recover.

Sent from my RAZR MAXXIMUS ;)

df79transam

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Okay much better. First off, you're going to have use use the utility again and use option 1 to restore to stock ics. The reason it's failing is because there usb probably still something installed that is blocking the installation.

Once you do that, re root your phone and install voodoo again and do this:
Backup root
Temp unroot
Restore roof
Temp unroot
Restore root
(make sure to do it twice just to be safe)

Place the zip on your sd card, yes the file you have is right. Moto names them weird for some reason. Just like the . 181 update said .173 in the file name.

Boot into recovery, and install zip from sd card.

Let it do its thing.

After booting if you can't get root back with voodoo then you will have to download another tool that Matt made that recovers it, but you have to make sure it was backed up with voodoo before you flash jb or you can't recover.

Okay thanks, it's late where I'm at now, ill try it tomorrow, and post my results.

jdwx

Nov 27, 2009
Visit site
Hmmm... Wonder how that went... Maybe he lost FoxFi, and can't talk to us. :-/

I'm teetering on the fence on this instal... Every time I talk myself out of it, I get sucked back in to wanting to do it... I'm rooted, with Matt's Util. Voodoo with the OEM stock ICS. 2.11

Just wondering if I can restore some application stuff back with Titanium. Being a new operating system, I'm thinking not.... right? I know definitely not any type of system data, but some app data would be nice. More worried about overall issues other wise really.

Last edited:

jdwx

Nov 27, 2009
Visit site
Oooookay.... This is somewhat odd, and I'm reading PAGES of stuff to see if anyone else has experienced this... Bear in mind, I'm no major rooting techie, or guru. Just somewhat experienced in rooting my last few phones.

Process went off without a hitch. Only thing I forgot to do prior to upgrading was unfreezing some bloatware in Titanium, I remembered after I started the process....

Nonetheless, everything was saying it upgraded through the misc screens, no errors were ever shown. Ummm, Seems to have upgraded, I have Google Now, lock screen font is diff. Pull down menu is different, other misc changes. I had to re-enable root with Voodoo, and it works, I have root still.

But none of my apps disappeared. Every one of them is exactly the same app wise. It booted to Go Launcher and at first I was assuming it didn't truly update. I have not had to restore ANYTHING. If I stay in GO Launcher, Phone is the same as it was for the most part, which I'd expect is typical.

I just thought I'd have to restore all apps??

Your thoughts?

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
If you didn't wipe data before flashing that would be why. Just like an ota, it will all be the same.

As for me, I started fresh on .211 since I was running a .215 based rom.

jdwx

Nov 27, 2009
Visit site
Ahh, I was kinda coming to that conclusion, lol...

Yea, just wiped the cache. Good deal. Thank you for taking time to comment.

I'll have to read more on what is going on, it doesn't seem too earthshaking. But cool nonetheless. After seeing another HTC DNA phone with the "newer" Jelly bean, I was expecting possibly more. Being able to page through and choose previous screens looked cool. I don't know if I have that or not, lol.. May be a Sense feature.

Thanks again. Way cool. Was worried to upgrade. :) Google Now seems potentially cool :)

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Hold the home button down ;) you could do that since ics, it's different than HTC but personally I don't like the sense way of swiping them up and down

jdwx

Nov 27, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, I was doing that. Somehow I thought his was cooler, haha... Guess it's the same thing as I've always had with ICS He was showing it off real quick and I thought it was umm, "special"... :)

So far so good. Liking the upgrade. And very nice having the misc communities to read through for assistance and to ask questions. Thanks again. :)

markzilla25

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
quick question: I'm on the 6.16.214 build and can't get jellybean to install. would going up to the 6.16.215 build then let me install JB or is there another step after upgrading to 6.16.215? thanks for your help! :)

df79transam

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Hmmm... Wonder how that went... Maybe he lost FoxFi, and can't talk to us. :-/

I'm teetering on the fence on this instal... Every time I talk myself out of it, I get sucked back in to wanting to do it... I'm rooted, with Matt's Util. Voodoo with the OEM stock ICS. 2.11

Just wondering if I can restore some application stuff back with Titanium. Being a new operating system, I'm thinking not.... right? I know definitely not any type of system data, but some app data would be nice. More worried about overall issues other wise really.

Sorry I didn't reply back in time guys. I followed the instructions given to me and I'm proud to say I'm up and running jellybean for the last week or so and I have to say, I haven't really ran into any bugs or problems yet. I was expecting my phone to random reboot but it hasn't, it did on the ics build. I also am proud to say I still have root, which is awesome cause it allowed me to install a wifi app like fox fi. So I got what I got my cake and got to eat it to, jellybean and the ability to use my razr maxx as a wifi hot spot. I think the app is call android tether, or something like that. And for the longest time I went without root, and i dont know why, it's so much more wide open when you have root, your not locked inside a fence like your phone carrier wants you to be. I also installed a neat app called ad away, and am loving it. Everything up great and seems to be running a Ok. Oh, project butter made my phone awesome, so much more faster and the battery seems ten times better than ics.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non