horrible battery life after update 4.1 .2

maxman1

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
my battery life is like 4 hours after the update to 4.1 .2 on my Droid Razr Maxx anyone else have the same issue??

That's definitely not right. Check & see if you have an app sucking it and if not, I'd try a cache wipe (or two). Failing that, a full factory reset. Sometimes recalibration of the battery by taking it down to a warning & charging while off overnight helps battery problems but I don't think it would help one as severe as yours.

Sent from my Droid RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk2

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Agree with above. My battery life does seem a little worse than before, but still generally good. When we got the ICS update, I remember battery life taking an immediate hit, but then steadily improving after several charge cycles. Cache wipe may have helped as well. I'm hoping the same will occur with JB.

I was wondering if some of the goodies that came with JB might also suck a little more battery here and there. For example, could Google Now be frequently waking up to poll the web, even if wifi and 4G are off? This might eat up little bits of battery over time. When I have time, maybe I'll see what happens if I turn Google Now off and compare that battery life with when it's on.

JMcCarty22

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
First reply after following the forums for a few months now. From what I've experienced since the update, I feel like my battery life is the same if not better. Today with what I would say is heavy use since I've been reinstalling a bunch of apps on top of my normal usage (which means I am constantly on my phone...the screen rarely gets a few seconds of rest). I have gone 18 hours on a full charge and still have 30% of the battery life left, so I would say it hasn't lost much if any battery life compared to when I had ICS. Also my wifi and gps have been on all day. I wiped my cache and did a factory reset after installing the update...so if you haven't done that I would recommend doing that and see if that helps at all.

oyeyemi808

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
yes Google now was draining my battery significantly.without it on for a day my battery life was better than ics & ran smoother.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

MooChelle01

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
And I am "redecorating" mine since the update... So it has been being used a bit more... I don't know if anyone else is like me but I tend to move things around until they feel right ESPECIALLY after a change (update)... :)

Jack33

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
I had the JB for few weeks and I don't really see significant drain on battery. Did factory reset after update and at least three full cache wipe. I have Google Now on all the time.

Terry Cramer

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
I was out of the country last week but when I got back in the States, my Droid Razr downloaded this update. I have had to charge my phone 2 or 3 times a day and when I get up in the morning, the battery is dead as a door nail. And no, I do not leave my phone plugged in overnight because there is conflicting information on the web about whether this is bad for the battery or not.

One thing to note. The Droid Razr is a 4G phone. I never had a problem connecting 4G at home or work until after this update. Ever since, all I get is 3G and I'm pretty sure that this is what is sucking the battery.

Doing a factory reset will erase all installed apps, correct? So I will have to spend days "redecorating" my phone with all the apps I have installed and used over the past year?

I have already cleared the cache multiple times and uninstalled everything that I don't care and its still draining at an alarming rate. For example, got up this morning to a dead battery at 4:30 am, plugged it in to charge, got up to 90% by the time I left for work at 6:30 am, and by 10:30 am I am down to 20% and have to plug in again.

jeffrok

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
There's no harm leaving a lithium battery on charge overnight.

MrHost

May 17, 2010
Visit site
That's because you need to charge it more than two hours. Charging the phone overnight does not do anything bad to the maxx. I do it everynight. Charge a phone to 100 in 2 1/2 hours versus 5 hrs and you will see a huge difference.

Sent from my Xoom using Android Central Forums

MrHost

May 17, 2010
Visit site
For people talking about bad battery how do you charge it? For those working fine, how do you charge it?

Sent from my Xoom using Android Central Forums

cgaines2101

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Check the threads for horrible battery life since JB? Try this. I stopped the google location reporting like the thread mentioned and took my phone off the charger at seven this morning and still have 70% and the end of the work day!

FredBassett

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
for the first time i just installed the JB upgrade without cache cleaning and resetting everything just to see what it was like. Right now the batt life is excellent. 18hrs and still on 60%. I'll assume that it will drop at some stage and then i'll clear the phone out and do a fresh reinstall but right now its doing the job well

kgundry1

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
I updated my Droid Razr OS to 4.1.2 a day or two ago, and now the battery life is greatly reduced. With virtually no use this morning, the capacity has fallen from 100% to 30% in 6 hours. The battery app shows the Android OS using 33% of the consumption; before the update, it used to be 10% or less. The other major consumers are screen 36% and Google Calendar Sync 16%. As usual, wifi and GPS are off and 4G on. How do I find out what is using the juice?

kgundry1

kgundry1

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
"Try clearing the dalvik cache"

Thank you, but I have no idea what that means. I can find nothing on my RAZR containing the word Dalvik. However, I seem to have solved the problem. From the Play Store, I installed Advanced Task Killer. It revealed many apps running. I killed most of them, and 24 hours later the charge has fallen from 100% to 70%, a huge improvement.
In addition, in <system settings><developer options> I found the option "Don't keep activities". I have checked that (with developer options on, of course), and apparently now when I close an app, it doesn't continue to run in the background. I cannot think of any disadvantage, and think (hope!) that will solve the battery life problem.

kgundry1

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non