Strange corporate email security warning after JB update

Sandman333

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Talked to the IT guy and he has no idea why the popup is happening. They are running exchange 2007.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

MrHost

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Everything I have found does refer to exchange 2007 requiring it to function, but it is an exchange server side request. It does appear to have happened after JB update as you mentioned.

The IT guy needs to look at the settings and change them in exchange if you would like more relaxed security enforced. I never blocked the camera or enforced encryption like his does, but if he is willing he can change any of those. I recommend at least keeping the pin option for basic security.

Security is always a nuisance for the users.

Sent from my Xoom using Android Central Forums

Sandman333

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Everything I have found does refer to exchange 2007 requiring it to function, but it is an exchange server side request. It does appear to have happened after JB update as you mentioned.

The IT guy needs to look at the settings and change them in exchange if you would like more relaxed security enforced. I never blocked the camera or enforced encryption like his does, but if he is willing he can change any of those. I recommend at least keeping the pin option for basic security.

Security is always a nuisance for the users.

Well, this is my personal phone, and I have my work email set up on it as a convenience for work so that I can get and answer emails 24/7. They really don't need to specify any security rules other that the password for that email account.

uncz71

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Same thing happened to me - set up corporate email on my personal Razr Maxx on ICS and did not get the warning. Updated to JB, and before I could go further I had to accept the security profile. The way I see it, is, if I want work email on my personal phone, I have to accept the security profile. Or, I can choose to not have work email on my personal phone and deal with it. Now, I do get reimbursed for a portion of my bill from work, so I went ahead and chose to accept the security profile. If you don't want work having that much control over your personal phone, then I would suggest not accepting the security profile. If you need work email 24/7, then lobby for a work provided phone, or use web based email.

turtleparadise

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
When setting up my Exchange email on the default mail app I would get the device administrator warning. I then set it up using the enhanced email app and I did not get the warning. That is worth the $10 that the app costs.

MrHost

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Good news on the advanced email option. Did you install advanced email after installing default email?
I may be wrong on this but I believe you have to remove the certificate under administration, then try installing advanced email again and see if it prompts you or not.

Trying it right now.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

MrHost

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I uninstalled both default and advanced email. The device administration was removed. Reinstalled advanced email but it hasn't downloaded email between now and previous post. 20 minutes I think.

Edit: turns out I didn't have the server full name. Worked with no problems and no device administrator needed. You don't get task, which I use but for email and calendar it works fine.

Awesome! There is your solution.

Last edited:

Brian Busch

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
I had exactly the same experience this morning after the JB update, with the same reply from the IT guy: "Huh? No, we don't require that."
Also after the JB update the "SYM" key (to bring up the back-slash character and other symbols) no longer works in some text interfaces, so I can't log in to the Exchange server through OWA (Outlook Web Access) either. Oh well. Work can call me if they need me....
Droid 4 (for the keyboard) on Verizon.

MrHost

May 17, 2010
Visit site
The Swype keyboard that comes with the MAXX works fine for symbols.

Sandman333

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I had exactly the same experience this morning after the JB update, with the same reply from the IT guy: "Huh? No, we don't require that."
Also after the JB update the "SYM" key (to bring up the back-slash character and other symbols) no longer works in some text interfaces, so I can't log in to the Exchange server through OWA (Outlook Web Access) either. Oh well. Work can call me if they need me....
Droid 4 (for the keyboard) on Verizon.

Reinforced that this is a JB problem.

MrHost

May 17, 2010
Visit site
It isn't a "problem". The IT has control to change what security they want. They need to revisit the mobile policy and see what they can be more lax on and change it. There is an option in exchange 2010 on what to do if they refuse. You can let them(user) still have access or not.

If anything, this is unexpected but apparently JB seems to have been told to ask this. This is part of corporate/enterprise security.

MrHost

May 17, 2010
Visit site
just to make sure I'm thinking right I'm going to look in the 2007 exchange and check on their mobile policies and how they work.

Sandman333

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
What I'm saying is that this is at least the second IT manager who has said their server is not requesting these permissions, yet JB is reporting them. That is a problem.

MrHost

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Here is a bit of info about exchange 2007 and mobile.

http://www.petri.co.il/configuring-exchange-active-sync-policies-part-1.htm

Have them check their policy there. By default it doesn't require a password. Have them see if their policy request a password. The other stuff is showing up because password is required. That is my thought on what is happening. If they do have password unchecked and still asking for that stuff then I will admit that is an issue.

In the newer exchange I can select the other stuff like camera and such if I want to allow them or not. I didn't notice it on the screenshots on the webpage. On what I read so far.

Sandman333

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
What password are you talking about? The only password I have ever used is my email password.

MrHost

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Has your IT looked at the mobile profiles as of yet on the server. If they don't know where to look, see my links above. They have a security policy, that is why you have to agree or not. If they have looked at their server and they have no security policy and it is asking it might be an issue. I still say it isn't an issue, it is more restrictive than you want.

If you accept the changes, does your email work?
This requirement while new to us has been in place on the server. They (IT) didn't change anything, it was JB as you mentioned originally. It has been made to work properly with exchange.