Lag - my MAXX is becoming a sizzling piece of crap...

ETPhoneHomeT

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
My phone is still running as good as it did when it was brand new, with only rare occasional periods of laggy performance. Some things I do:
- Reboot (power off/on) the phone every few days
- Perform a cache partition wipe through the recovery menu at least once a week
- I only use the stock browser which I find to be much faster than Chrome
- I use 3rd party launchers, with the smoothest and fastest being Nova Launcher Prime
- I have 2 apps that I run every once in awhile called "1-Touch Cleaner" and "Fast Reboot"
- I've always performed at least one FDR on all of my Android phones whenever I've taken an OS update
To identify if the lag is caused by a rogue app, you could try running your phone in Safe Mode. In Safe Mode, if the lag disappears, then you'll know you have a misbehaving app.
From what I understand, beginning with Android 4.3, TRIM support has been added and should reduce or eliminate lag in the Android OS

Sandman333

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
My phone is still running as good as it did when it was brand new, with only rare occasional periods of laggy performance. Some things I do:
- Reboot (power off/on) the phone every few days
- Perform a cache partition wipe through the recovery menu at least once a week
- I only use the stock browser which I find to be much faster than Chrome
- I use 3rd party launchers, with the smoothest and fastest being Nova Launcher Prime
- I have 2 apps that I run every once in awhile called "1-Touch Cleaner" and "Fast Reboot"
- I've always performed at least one FDR on all of my Android phones whenever I've taken an OS update
To identify if the lag is caused by a rogue app, you could try running your phone in Safe Mode. In Safe Mode, if the lag disappears, then you'll know you have a misbehaving app.
From what I understand, beginning with Android 4.3, TRIM support has been added and should reduce or eliminate lag in the Android OS

We don't know when or even if we will ever get 4.3.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

ETPhoneHomeT

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
We don't know when or even if we will ever get 4.3.

I realize that. That was a forward looking tidbit of information. I'm not a techie, but from what I've read online, the Android OS on all phones from all manufacturers prior to 4.3 are prone to lag but TRIM support is being added which should address that. No idea if we will get another OS update or not on the Razr/Razr Maxx, but hoping so. Although for me personally, I'm happy with the way my phone is running on 4.1.2 and sometimes updates can bring new bugs with it. If you haven't tried some or all of the suggestions I've posted which I think has helped keep mine running lag free, you might try them out. Maybe one will resolve your crash and freeze issues. I can honestly say I'm not experiencing any and I currently have 104 apps installed on my Razr Maxx. Best smartphone I've owned to date.

lebem

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I do periodically reboot, as well as clear the cache via recovery.
I have also noted recently been avoiding Chrome (but it is installed.) I'm not using a third party launcher.

I don't have 1-touch Cleaner, but I do periodically run Fast Reboot.

I don't remember if I did an FDR after the Jelly Bean update.

I'll be honest, I do suspect that at least some of my issues are related to an installed app or combination of apps.

That said, the majority of my installed apps are I think fairly common leading me to think it's a more complicated interaction particular to this phone.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I mentioned this before, but I would disable Chrome completely. When I did that on my Asus TF300, performance picked up noticeably. Not sure why.

ETPhoneHomeT

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
I do periodically reboot, as well as clear the cache via recovery.
I have also noted recently been avoiding Chrome (but it is installed.) I'm not using a third party launcher.

I don't have 1-touch Cleaner, but I do periodically run Fast Reboot.

I don't remember if I did an FDR after the Jelly Bean update.

I'll be honest, I do suspect that at least some of my issues are related to an installed app or combination of apps.

That said, the majority of my installed apps are I think fairly common leading me to think it's a more complicated interaction particular to this phone.

Have you tried Safe Mode? Safe Mode - DROID RAZR / RAZR MAXX by MOTOROLA
If you didn't do an FDR after taking the JB update, that's kind of the last resort in attempting to resolve any major issues

ulnek

Dec 22, 2009
Visit site
this happens to me too but i just end up turning off the phone and that always fixes it. i've found that it does this sometimes when it's having signal issues.

lebem

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I had tried safe mode previously and in that scenario it ran fine.

I've done an FDR since my last post and have been reinstalling apps in small groups with at least a few days observation time in between.

The biggest offender in terms of lag causing, Google Chrome. First time I opened it my Maxx ground to a near halt. Free memory went from around 230MB to less than 50. I've also noticed that most of the time using Google Now causes a slow down but not nearly as bad. For the time being I've disabled Chrome and the phone is generally running better but still has "moods" from time to time though not remotely as bad or for as long as before the FDR or disabling Chrome.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk 4

jeffrok

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
What really pisses me off about Verizon/Motorola is they never really release "stability" incremental updates- only major releases for this phone.. There should've been an update every couple of months for this phone. I know it doesn't work that way with a lot of phones, but I have a Samsung Tab 2 10.1 and have received at least 4 updates in the last year for it. Not all of them were majors either.

lebem

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Sad truth is that despite the overall quality of the service Verizon is not big on maintenance fixes for most of their phones.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

jeffrok

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
I think I found a workaround/fix for the lag!

If you have a rooted phone, install this app:
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ls?id=com.grilledmonkey.lagfix&token=e_uq3-Ak

This will trim the system data.. From the description:
"Some Android users suffer from poor performance after some days/weeks of heavy usage. This is due to a well-known TRIM bug affecting these devices (users report Nexus devices and HTC One devices are affected). Kernels with -discard mount option are NOT affected!
The source of the problem is that internal storage is not properly TRIMmed when needed. You can find lots of information on XDA - Nexus Storage Performance Over Time & TRIM | Galaxy Nexus > XDA and [DEVS & EXP-USERS ONLY] HTC One X - High | HTC One X > XDA It is also well-known fact that running fstrim Linux tool from time to time fixes the issue until internal memory runs out of free blocks. Other solutions like mounting with -discard or disabling fsync may be slow or dangerous.
LagFix is a user-friendly implementation of fstrim utility. It allows you to select which partitions to trim (you should leave defaults unless you know what you are doing) and run the process easily.
Please note that fstrim output depends on kernel and device. It works fine unless you see errors. You might see big amounts of bytes, zero amount or repeating amount. All are fine! Read fstrim manual to understand why all these outputs are valid.
It is also advised to reboot your device after the TRIM process so that kernel could reinitialize block data."

I have bought the premium version which allows scheduled trims.. I'm scheduling the trims for daily at 1am. I'll let you all know how it works.

jeffrok

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
So far Lag Fix has turned my MAXX into a whole different phone! Seriously.. no big lag like before.. it will still lag if you're updating apps, but outside of that it's great. I recommend rooting your stock phone and installing this utility.

MrHost

May 17, 2010
Visit site
This is odd of a possible fix but I have been having LAG issues as well. I have been playing with the CPU speedds while rooted which are limited but some are working to change it. Eventually it still lags though. I had been haiving issues with my SIM card for quite a while. I decided it was a good weekend to get it swapped. Since I replaced the SIM card I have had a much better experience. My screen on from complete off during an incoming call is still a bit laggy but not as bad as it was and I can use my phone again. As a side note I had notice battery use higher since my phone had been laggy, which I just tossed as being a side issue with the high memory use or processor use or whatever I had thought was causing it. My battery life is back to normal as well. This is only day three but I didn't do a reset or anything other than change out the SIM card. If you have still got your MAXX and have similar issues, try getting your card swapped(it's free).

Leave feedback on what happens if you do. It is defiantly a night and day difference on mine. Good luck all.

Sandman333

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I think, overall, this phone is just a big streaming pile of crap. I'm having to clear all data from Chrome once a week just to keep the phone usable. Otherwise the lag gets so terrible that I can't even answer incoming calls... they go to voicemail before the answer screen ever shows up. Motorola should be ashamed that they ever released this junk. Definitely looking for something else. No more Motorola for me. Likely no more Android either if this is the best they can do.

lebem

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Well, FDR and removing Chrome helped for a while, then things got really bad again.

Now the good news, an associate at Verizon suggested (matter-of-factly) to keep AT Least 4GB of internal memory free. As annoyed as I am that means even less available actually usable space, it has returned the phone to the realm of usable.

dagodpapa

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
The lag got really bad on my phone, just as what's being described on this thread. I did these things and my phone runs like a champ again:

1. Got rid of Chrome, disabled it.
2. Turned off and disabled Smartactions.
3. Moved as many apps as I could to internal storage.
4. Got rid of the Facebook app and just made a bookmark to the mobile site instead. Actually I just got rid of most of my social networking apps.
5. Used and still using nova launcher.

YMMV but I love my phone again, runs quickly with no complaints. Hope that works out for you guys!

mooch91

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
So far Lag Fix has turned my MAXX into a whole different phone! Seriously.. no big lag like before.. it will still lag if you're updating apps, but outside of that it's great. I recommend rooting your stock phone and installing this utility.

Still working well for you?

Sent from my mobile device.

morjoie

Jun 23, 2012
Visit site
OK, a possible solution here. I've cleared the data cache and that seemed to have little to no effect.

This time I went into the app tray and hit the menu key and then selected "Manage Apps". I located both the stock browser and Chrome and cleared data in each. Yes, you will have to sign into Chrome again, but if you were signed in on both your computer and phone at some point prior to clearing data, all your favorite will come back after you clear data and then open Chrome to sign in again. I don't know of any way to accomplish the same thing with the stock browser.

My phone is A LOT faster now, without all the massive lag that was making it about impossible to use, even in apps other than Chrome. It feels like a new phone again. If this is a true fix, I will be VERY happy with my phone again!

Posted via Android Central App

I have been ready to literally smash my Maxx against a concrete block or throw it into a nearby river, it has become so laggy. I select something basic - like the "dialer" to make a phone call (these things still do make phone calls, right??) and I am greeted by a black screen for as much as a minute while I wait for the numbers to appear. Doesn't sound all that bad, unless you really need to make a phone call - then a minute seems like an eternity.

So, I've decided: No more contracts and no more subsidized phones. These devices have a useful life of (maybe) a year at most. I want to be able to move to a phone with a better operating system when I'm ready, not when Verizon decides I'm ready. I almost went without a contract in 2012 when I renewed my contract with Verizon, but decided (mistakenly, in retrospect) that I needed unlimited data. Now I know I can get along just fine with 4gb of data, so I will find a plan that accommodates what I need.

In the meantime, I have gone thorough my phone and eliminated all the bloatware that I could find and a few more apps besides. I cleared the data for the system browser and disabled Chrome. I have cleared the cache partition on my phone, as suggested. Next I will install Nova Launcher Prime. Thanks to everyone who weighed in with helpful suggestions. It's comforting to know that I am not the only one with a "cra-cra" phone and it's good to be able to do something concrete to address it. Here's hoping I can manage with these solutions until June 2014 when I free myself from the bondage of contracts permanently!

sk8trix

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I don't know what has happened to my phone over the last couple of months, but the lag has gotten unbearable.

If I close all of the open apps, it seems to do pretty well, but one or two open apps will cause a tremendous lag. To the point where unlocking the phone takes 10 seconds, placing a call 20, and sometimes I answer the phone and I'm talking to the other party about 30 seconds before the screen shows a connection. I have tried uninstalling everything that's non-essential and stopping notifications for most apps, including Facebook.

I don't know what's happened, but my phone took a performance nose-dive over the last couple of months and has become almost unusable at times.

Any ideas, other than an FDR which I'd rather avoid?

Thanks.

Try some of these apps they might help clear out any junk files

Clean master

Clean master review - YouTube

Lagfix

LagFix review (android application) - YouTube
Greenify

Greenify review - YouTube

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member