Data Connection problem after OTA update.

MacBill

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
After buying my Razr, the OTA software update (748) became available which I downloaded. Now whenever I place the phone on sleep or turn off the data connection via smart actions, the data connection does not come back up unless I toggle the airplane mode or reboot. The data connection always came up before unless I had manually turned it off. I did a hard reset and that did not change anything. The phone works well. Has anyone fixed this issue or can anyone shed some light on this problem?

AeroEngi

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
After buying my Razr, the OTA software update (748) became available which I downloaded. Now whenever I place the phone on sleep or turn off the data connection via smart actions, the data connection does not come back up unless I toggle the airplane mode or reboot. The data connection always came up before unless I had manually turned it off. I did a hard reset and that did not change anything. The phone works well. Has anyone fixed this issue or can anyone shed some light on this problem?

This is what I feared before the OTA update was released. It broke more things than it fixed!

chevyman29

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
mine worked perfectly with smart actions before the update now it has some issue with smart actions . but not as bad as yours .

rickc1015

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
Ditto. I had no 3G for 24 hours until Verizon turned it back on for me. It is still not perfect, but I was told another update is coming.

psugrad97

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I have the same problem with the data connectivity. I sometimes toggle on airplane mode 4-5 times before it comes back on.

Last Ride

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Same issue here. Doesn't sound as bad as your issues, but it has happened a few times and seems to be getting worse. Let's hope the ICS update fixes that! Okay, wishful thinking....

C - Squared

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I've had similar problems to what's been stated here. I'm not sure if it's more the result of a Smart Action I added last night to disable Cellular Data while I'm at home and connected to wi-fi, or the result of installing the 6.11.748 update this morning, but one or the other (or both?) has prevented me from getting any 3G/4G data connectivity today.

rickc1015, you said "Verizon turned it on" for you. How so? Did it require a total factory reset? I'm hesitant to do that, even though I've only had the phone for a week, so I guess it wouldn't be all that horrible if I had to.

I've toggled the phone into and out of Airplane mode at least a dozen times, and have rebooted it 3-4 times, but so far, not even a momentary glimpse of data connectivity has come back on yet today.

Should I call Verizon, go into a store, something else?

Zorro1

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Huh. Well duh on me, didn't realize we'd gotten an update, but there it is. I, too, have had to toggle Airplane to restore cell data service, and also like C2, I've got the Smart Action set the same way. Figured it was that. Huh, I must say that that Smart Action setting seems to be pretty good since I'm still at 90% 5 1/2 hrs after unplugging this a.m. Been on the office/home wifi all that time.

HMBgal

Nov 20, 2010
Visit site
I don't use the Smart Actions at all, never have, and I have the same problem and have to toggle airplane mode at least once or twice a day. Pretty much always have to if I'm using wifi and then disconnect wifi: it seldom makes the switch to data automatically.

C - Squared

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
For those of you toggling Airplane Mode to get data connectivity back, how long do you leave it on Airplane mode before switching back? After switching back, how long does it take for it to reconnect? I've been toggling all day with no success.

HMBgal

Nov 20, 2010
Visit site
For those of you toggling Airplane Mode to get data connectivity back, how long do you leave it on Airplane mode before switching back? After switching back, how long does it take for it to reconnect? I've been toggling all day with no success.

I only toggle off for maybe 5 seconds, then it takes about 10 seconds to reconnect.

S281

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
same issue here. when i leave my house and get out of wifi range, it wont switch to 3G/4G on its own. This is a very annoying issue and really needs to be addressed asap by verizon.

DC Damien

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
We had similar issues for months after the Thunderbolt was released. And new updates caused new problems. A series of fixes that made day to day life worse. I'm thinking about getting the Razr Maxx as an upgrade. It sounds like I need to wait until they get this fixed. Often has to do with the problems of the phones bouncing between 3G/4G when hitting the towers-- even if you're only using the 3G (as I understand it). 4G is really not ready for prime time... and again even if you use 3G only the 4G phones seem to have issues that 3G only phones don't have.

Disturbed_Angel

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
I just call VZW tech support for the same issue, and they told me to go to Settings->Data Manager (turn off your smart actions first) and set data as on, and then go in to Global data roaming access and set it for Allow access for all trips. Now go and reactivate your Smart Actions.

Just keep in mind that you set it that way if you ever leave the US, as the phone will roam with out asking you again.You also don't get data connection back instantly, it takes about 10-20 seconds. So far, with limited testing I am having no trouble with getting my data connection back. YMMV

Reactions: Schwermzilla

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo