what case works with the Car Dock?

TurboCam

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Good to know that the silicone case works too. who makes the silicone skin you are using? I'll update the original post to show what cases work with the car dock mod.

sweetsmuckers

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
can you guys post pics up...would love to see how it looks...i have the car dock and an amzer tpu case...hopefully those two would get along...:D

penman711

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
I spoke with a rep at Motorola and they seemed to be unaware of a specific case yet. They are supposedly looking into it and will email me when they have one available.

TurboCam

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
I spoke with a rep at Motorola and they seemed to be unaware of a specific case yet. They are supposedly looking into it and will email me when they have one available.

ask them who wrote the instructions for the car dock.....because someone had a case in mind when they designed it and then wrote the instructions. Should be good to get an answer back from Moto.

DroidRage79

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Good to know that the silicone case works too. who makes the silicone skin you are using? I'll update the original post to show what cases work with the car dock mod.

I have this one

MOTDRDXSILB

but I wouldnt recommend it, it's slippery and covers the row of hard buttons on the bottom. (I hacked this part off with a razor blade)

I also have a Zagg invisibleSHIELD for my DX but I am reluctant to install it since it seems to be something that requires painstaking care and dexterity; these are areas in which I am personally lacking. :confused:

TurboCam

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
I just put a quick video shwoing how well the Rocketfish case fits into the car dock now. Unfortunately, I was trying to take the video with my storm1 but the phone kept rebooting on me about 10 seconds into the video.....
so, I had to shoot the video with the DX and just showed an empty case fitting into the car dock. Also, you'll notice, I mounted my car dock to my microwave to shoot the video. lol

YouTube - Using Droid X car dock with a case

sweetsmuckers

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Anyone here have like a DX with Ghost Armor or something similar on their droid (the full body kit installed)? I was wondering if you have to end up shaving off that little nub or not...I know the shield adds a little bit thickness to the phone but barely compare to other cases....So if one of you guys have GA, IS, PS...please post a pic of your DX on the dock...Thanks :D

Last edited:

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
Does the car dock only adhere/stick to a window? Or does it stick to, say, the dash as well?

I have the leather kickstand case from Verizon and I may pickup the car dock and shave off that nub...maybe it'll fit. Opinions?

dvader

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I just put a quick video shwoing how well the Rocketfish case fits into the car dock now. Unfortunately, I was trying to take the video with my storm1 but the phone kept rebooting on me about 10 seconds into the video.....
so, I had to shoot the video with the DX and just showed an empty case fitting into the car dock. Also, you'll notice, I mounted my car dock to my microwave to shoot the video. lol

YouTube - Using Droid X car dock with a case

If it fits in the car dock, would it also then fit in the home/desktop dock?

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
Does the car dock only adhere/stick to a window? Or does it stick to, say, the dash as well?

I have the leather kickstand case from Verizon and I may pickup the car dock and shave off that nub...maybe it'll fit. Opinions?

Anyone?

Groundhound

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
The car dock comes with an adhesive-backed disc that you can mount on your dash, to which the suction cup mount sticks.

I'm using my car dock with a Garmin sandbag (for my Nuvi) on my dash, that way when not in use I just put it under the seat. The ball on the Garmin sandbag fits the collar/socket on the Droid X's car dock very well.

Last edited:

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
If it fits in the car dock, would it also then fit in the home/desktop dock?

I have both docks but haven't started using the car one but my guess is no because the design isn't even the same and there is no insert to remove, I only see the phone fitting the home dock..

dvader

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
someone has already made it fit with the car dock, by removing a tab of plastic..
so since the phone is the same size, the "slot" part of the docks is going to be the same size, I would think if it fits the car dock, then it should also fit the home dock.
but i don't have a case yet to test it. (probably only a thinner silicone type of case would work)

GlueFactoryBJJ

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I also have a Zagg invisibleSHIELD for my DX but I am reluctant to install it since it seems to be something that requires painstaking care and dexterity; these are areas in which I am personally lacking. :confused:

I've seen a couple YouTube videos on how to install the Zagg. Some are definitely better than others. I gather that the primary thing is to take your time and use a proven method, even if it takes a bit longer.

Oh, and for those of you who might be interested, I was on the Best Buy site and saw that they are coming out with a RED version of the DroidX RocketFish case. It is listed as "Coming Soon" on the web site.

Scott

Reactions: aim4squirrels#AC

GlueFactoryBJJ

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I haven't seen the dock, but is it possible its function is to hold the insert in place that is removed to use the dock with an X with case?

If that is so, and you won't need the insert in the future, removing it shouldn't be a problem. Another option would be to drill a matching hole in your case.

Scott

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
someone has already made it fit with the car dock, by removing a tab of plastic..
so since the phone is the same size, the "slot" part of the docks is going to be the same size, I would think if it fits the car dock, then it should also fit the home dock.
but i don't have a case yet to test it. (probably only a thinner silicone type of case would work)

The home dock isn't designed anyway like the car dock, there is no insert, just a base with a metal arm that is raised, the only way I can see it working on home dock is with some fancy modifications.

Also I think the insert on the car dock may be to allow for a extended battery....

2010-07-28_09-05-49_678.jpg

Last edited:

Doyer

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Anyone looking into getting the official car dock for the Droid X, but either doesn't want to pay $40 - $50 for it or worry about damaging it while using a case, consider the Arkon Mega Grip car mount:

Website: Arkon Mega Grip Smartphone Mount for Motorola Droid X, Droid, and Devour

vid: YouTube - ‪Motorola Droid X Mount | Arkon Mega Grip Car Mounts and Holder for Droid X‬‎

xm9f1.jpg

You can choose whatever mount style you want (windshield, dashboard, vent, cupholder, etc), pop in a micro USB charger and keep your case on. It can swivel to landscape for nav mode, and it's cheaper that the official dock.

BAM! [/Emeril]

dougbert609

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
I'm using my car dock with a Garmin sandbag (for my Nuvi) on my dash, that way when not in use I just put it under the seat. The ball on the Garmin sandbag fits the collar/socket on the Droid X's car dock very well.

Thanks for telling me about this! I have Garmin mounts glued to the dashboards of both my cars, and it would be great to mount my X as easily as a Garmin unit.

Doug