Rooting EI22 Gingerbread Instructions

Status
Not open for further replies.

eharty

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
This is my first time to attempt root. I too had the problem with ACS not coming up on restart. I was going to use your method listed above but am an ODIN newbie. Do they also go in the "PDA" section of ODIN? I am not familiar with flashing in ODIN enough to know exactly how to do it.

Thanks,
jab

Yes, use the PDA section and make sure that only Auto Reboot is checked.

eharty

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
OK, I must have the most stubborn phone alive. I put the keyboard fix kernel noted above in the PDA slot via Odin & still am unsuccessful w/CWM, ACS Recovery, or Rooting. :'(

So, you Odined the keyboard fix, Odined CWM and you still get the stock recovery with the 3 finger boot?

ShaLea

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
So, you Odined the keyboard fix, Odined CWM and you still get the stock recovery with the 3 finger boot?

Wait I dont have CWM for Odiin, I only have CWM3.1 via zip file & can not install it from 3 finger boot.

Is there a link for this file?

UPDATE: IT WORKED!!!!!
I found a CWM 3.1 tar file & Odin'ed it & it WORKED!!!!!

Installing SU now.

Last edited:

ShaLea

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Here you go. In the downloads section, there is a link for a zip and below that is the tar file to use with Odin. Let us know how it goes.

OK I got it to work. Now on the YouTube video, qhking77 mentioned CWM4xx. Is this something that I should be worried about? or will 3.1 do me fine?

Thank you for all of your help.

eharty

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
OK I got it to work. Now on the YouTube video, qhking77 mentioned CWM4xx. Is this something that I should be worried about? or will 3.1 do me fine?

Thank you for all of your help.

Glad you got it working.

I haven't heard of CWM4 yet but I'll check it out. In the mean time CWM 3.1.0.1 should work fine.

Reactions: ShaLea

bakerja

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I hate to sound like such a turd but which choice in CWM. I have these choices:

-reboot system now
-apply sdcard:update.zip
-wipe data/factory reset
-wipe cache partition
-install zip from sdcard
-backup and restore
-mounts and storage
-advanced

I thought the logical choice was "install zip from sdcard" but when I choose that, I get a hat with a circle and it is frozen and does nothing until a battery pull.

Thanks in advance,
jab

eharty

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
I hate to sound like such a turd but which choice in CWM. I have these choices:

-reboot system now
-apply sdcard:update.zip
-wipe data/factory reset
-wipe cache partition
-install zip from sdcard
-backup and restore
-mounts and storage
-advanced

I thought the logical choice was "install zip from sdcard" but when I choose that, I get a hat with a circle and it is frozen and does nothing until a battery pull.

Thanks in advance,
jab

Are you trying to flash Su? If so, install zip from sdcard is the right choice. You then have to navigate to and select the zip you want to flash.

bakerja

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Are you trying to flash Su? If so, install zip from sdcard is the right choice. You then have to navigate to and select the zip you want to flash.

Man I feel like a dummy. I was hitting the home key instead of menu....dooohhhh. Installed SU...zip, now I guess I'm rooted right?

jab

kevincwelch

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I'll say one thing about this process...

Having used Odin many times, I thought this would be straight forward...but it didn't work at all. I did it three times before I noticed the problem...

When I downloaded ACSRecovery1.0.0.5.tar.md5, for some reason it was saved as ACSRecovery1.0.0.5.tar.md5.tar (with the .tar on the end). Windows Vista machine. So, when I selected this file in Odin, it wasn't working because of the .tar extension.

After this, it worked.

sonarchist

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
..............for those of you not yet familiar w/ ACSrecoveryv1.0.0.5_CWM4, it is going to be a joy.......have enjoyed its basic stability (recovery works like a dream) + cool features, for example, when flashing a new ROM instead of wipe cache x3 + wipe dalvik x3, you go into a pre-install wipe that removes everything including data so your flash is a clean install...........don't forget to make a backup) ...........props to ACS + everyone over there for their continued good work.............and a big +1 to you Paul! for this very excellent tutorial.........hoping new + creative EI22ROMs will be flashin' readily thru here very soon!

Galane

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Finally! Rooted Gingerbread!

I flashed kernel-GB-3.tar.md5 with Odin 1.85, followed by ACSRecovery1.0.0.5.tar.md5 then booted into recovery mode and used ACSRecovery to install su-3.0-efgh-signed.zip

Now I can de-bloatware my phone again! Thanks to everyone who put those three packages together. I wonder if it will be possible to put together a new one-click root with them?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I doubt we will see a OCR again.. The exploits used in the past to obtain One Click Root were patched by Google.

sonarchist

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
4 future reference, just an fyi, ...........a known bug w/ ACSrecovery1.0.0.5CWM4: when flashing a ROM, you do not have to wipe cachex3/wipedalvikx3, instead you select 'pre-install wipe' , select 'yes' + then you flash your ROM..........it's been reported by some users on the acs forums if you click 'yes' then change to 'no' you will still get a pre-install wipe...............(you would then go back to recovery + select your last backup, so no worries as backups are solid w/ this recovery.)

.............come to think of it, if you load ACS recovery first, run a backup, prior to going thru w/ odin EI22 install here, then you have the option of returning completely to your prior setup via ACSrecovery in case you change your mind (i have done this w/ other ROMs, using ACS recovery, not yet w/ EI22) ............other than why you'd want to go back to that last setup, any thoughts Paul?

kitchin

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
I just want to be perfectly sure of what i'm doing, as I feel I have been reading way too much for instructions. When you're flashing the files in Odin over, are we flashing the kernel fix first through pda, and then upon reboot flash the cwm through pda as a seperate Odin process? I was trying to do my research and i'm getting too much information now. All of this learning has backfired on me
thanks for the help

eharty

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
I just want to be perfectly sure of what i'm doing, as I feel I have been reading way too much for instructions. When you're flashing the files in Odin over, are we flashing the kernel fix first through pda, and then upon reboot flash the cwm through pda as a seperate Odin process? I was trying to do my research and i'm getting too much information now. All of this learning has backfired on me
thanks for the help

All the different threads can definitely lead to information overload. ;-)

Here are the steps that have worked for me a few times:
- Flash the keyboard kernel fix with Odin using the PDA slot. Make sure that only Auto Reboot is checked.
- Let the phone reboot and then flash CWM recovery with Odin using the PDA slot. Again make sure that only Auto Reboot is checked.
- The phone will reboot again. Power off and boot into CWM by holding volume down, camera and power buttons.
- Flash SU with CWM and reboot.
Enjoy!

nmoreman

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
Ed, great and simple directions. I have had 2 Epics since Day 1, rooted, rommed, etc. I have had fits with simply re=rooting one. Took it all the way back and want to leave both stock for daughters at college, just don't have time to modify and maintain these anymore.

Everything is looking good on Gingerbread, but this one wanted a few tweaks. I had watched video, read xda and here, could NOT get it to stick. Until I read your simple explanation, do one first, then the next - and I went with CWM, couldn't get ACS to work. This was my last effort, thought I was wearing out the buttons!!

Hit the thanks button for you.

nmoreman

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
I will take back above great idea - I obtained root, but something permanently stuck Airplane Mode on,
no buttons or releases, so no service.

I am back to Odin, 05, now doing update again. The girls will just have to live without their tweaks, something
is funky and just wanted to let you know.

P.S. Did have ACS start to go thru and abort before I tried this, so don't know if multiple efforts or attempts
corrupted something else, but all is good on stock now.

Dronak

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I've had my phone for about a year now, and as time has passed, I'm more inclined to root my phone. The instructions here seem to be the most recent and fairly easy to follow, but my big question is how do you unroot again should you need/want to? It's probably something everyone who roots their phone knows already, but I'm new and could use some info. Actually, if someone can point me to a sort of beginners guide on rooting the Epic, that would be great. Anything FAQ-like that could give me the basics so I could follow-up later with more specific questions would be helpful (and I apologize if there's one here and I missed it). I don't just want to start asking lots of questions if there's some resource that can answer a bunch of them for me. Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress