[Root] Samsung Epic 4G Official Froyo EC05 w/Optional EXT4

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I just did the Odin method but it's still odexed

Yes, rooting and converting to EXT4 will not have anything to do with changing the ROM from odexed to deodexed. That has to be done manually by hand and I only know of one or two in the Epic rooting community that know how to do it.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Im confused by this question , maybe of you tell us why you would think it wouldn't or shouldn't we can give you answer
I'm curious as to figure out how coming from a rooted EB13 and just flashing an EC05 ROM can also convert your firmware and etc. to EC05

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm curious as to figure out how coming from a rooted EB13 and just flashing an EC05 ROM can also convert your firmware and etc. to EC05

The only thing that would still be EB13 is your modem, which you can flash separately if you wish (but the EB13 modem works fine with EC05).

LASuxs

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
if i have a rooted EB13 with EXT4 support, so all i need to do is flash one of the roms you mentioned and i get the EC05?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
if i have a rooted EB13 with EXT4 support, so all i need to do is flash one of the roms you mentioned and i get the EC05?
Yes currently the method Ragnarokx mentioned is all that is available until we get a deodexed stock version of EC05 to work with.

damillatime

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
So I converted to ext4 and and installed the bonsai rom that is supposed to be EC05 but has the EB13 modem. Everything is working great except the Blutooth. I was reading through so much yesterday that I forget where I saw it, but I remember seeing something about the Blutooth having issues with one of the installs. Also, I remember having this problem last month with one of the other installs and I feel like one of the roms had a Blutooth fix in it or something. Can anyone help with this?

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I know there are problems with EB13 kernels and certain Bluetooth functionality. I had not yet heard this was still a problem in EC05.

The only fix I know of atm is to revert to RFS.

ineyeseekay

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Procedure 2 - gives root access and converts your RFS filesystem to EXT4

At this time it seems that the only way to get EXT4 on EC05 is to come from EB13 that has already been converted to EXT4. If you would like to go this route, follow the steps below.

0. If you're not already on EB13 with EXT4, follow Step 1 and Step 2 in this thread before continuing.

1 Assuming that you are now on Froyo EB13 with an EXT4 filesystem, download an EC05 ROM with EXT4 support such as Bonsai ROM or the slightly tweaked version of Bonsai, midNIGHT ROM. Place the ROM on the root (not in a folder) of your SD card.

2. Turn off your phone, and then hold these buttons: volume down+camera+power, until you see the Clockwork screen that has orange text. Go to Backup and restore>backup to create a backup of your system before continuing.

3. Now you're ready to flash the ROM. Go to: install zip from sdcard>choose zip from sdcard>(navigate to the ROM .zip file on your SD card)>(select it using the camera button)>yes. The ROM will now be flashed. Once the flashing is complete, you can reboot and enjoy your new EXT4 filesystem on EC05 :D

Important Notes
You must boot into Clockwork v3.0.0.6 by turning off your phone and holding volume down+camera+power buttons. If you boot into Clockwork using a program like ROM Manager or Quickboot, you will get errors.

A quick way to manually boot into Clockwork is to press volume up+camera+power buttons to reset your phone, then immediately hold volume down+camera+power buttons until you see the recovery screen with orange text.

Also, as long as you have EXT4 in place you can only flash ROMs and kernels with EXT4 support. To flash a ROM or kernel without EXT4 support, you must use Odin to return to stock.

Any flashable zips you want to install must by compatible with the new Clockwork v3.0.0.6. This will be explicitly indicated, or there will be a note saying the zip is using the new Edify script (as opposed to the old Amend script).

My text is green not orange and when I try to install zip from sd card > choose zip from sd card > I don't see anything that says ROM... the only .zip file I have is update.zip and I think that was from EB13 update.zip. Am I missing something?

headph0nz

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
trying to install EC05 on 2.2 on epic 4g. This is where is ends up freezing up on the install every time. Have rebooted phone and pc multiple times and drivers and everything else is fine. Original one click made by joeykrim and one click installer made by noobnl and f
iron
busybox by skeeterslint
Press any key to continue . . .
* daemon not running. starting it now *
* daemon started successfully *
Copy and run the exploit (may take up to two minutes). Ignore messages about re-
logging in.
If more than five minutes pass, reboot the phone and try again.
84 KB/s (5392 bytes in 0.062s)
2 KB/s (43 bytes in 0.015s)
[*] CVE-2010-EASY Android local root exploit (C) 2010 by 743C

[*] checking NPROC limit ...
[+] RLIMIT_NPROC={2662, 2662}
[*] Searching for adb ...
[+] Found adb as PID 2361
[*] Spawning children. Dont type anything and wait for reset!
[*]
[*] If you like what we are doing you can send us PayPal money to
[*] 7-4-3-C@web.de so we can compensate time, effort and HW costs.
[*] If you are a company and feel like you profit from our work,
[*] we also accept donations > 1000 USD!
[*]
[*] adb connection will be reset. restart adb server on desktop and re-login.
Wait for phone to reconnect...
Mount system as r/w, cleanup old files, do some basic configuration
75 KB/s (4793 bytes in 0.062s)
rm failed for /system/app/Asphalt5_DEMO_ANMP_Samsung_D700_Sprint_ML.apk, No such
file or directory
rm failed for /system/app/FreeHDGameDemos.apk, No such file or directory
Copying files onto phone...
411 KB/s (26264 bytes in 0.062s)
168 KB/s (196521 bytes in 1.138s)
406 KB/s (486948 bytes in 1.170s)
5 KB/s (479 bytes in 0.078s)
Setting permissions...
Installing busybox...
Installing clockworkmod redirector
31 KB/s (6473 bytes in 0.202s)
push: recoveryfiles/recovery -> /system/bin/recoveryfiles/recovery
push: recoveryfiles/postrecoveryboot.sh -> /system/bin/recoveryfiles/postrecover
yboot.sh
push: recoveryfiles/nandroid-md5.sh -> /system/bin/recoveryfiles/nandroid-md5.sh

push: recoveryfiles/fix_permissions -> /system/bin/recoveryfiles/fix_permissions

push: recoveryfiles/adbd -> /system/bin/recoveryfiles/adbd
5 files pushed. 0 files skipped.
320 KB/s (895126 bytes in 2.730s)
push: recoveryres/images/progress_bar_right_round.png -> /system/bin/recoveryres
/images/progress_bar_right_round.png
push: recoveryres/images/progress_bar_left_round.png -> /system/bin/recoveryres/
images/progress_bar_left_round.png
push: recoveryres/images/progress_bar_fill.png -> /system/bin/recoveryres/images
/progress_bar_fill.png
push: recoveryres/images/progress_bar_empty_right_round.png -> /system/bin/recov
eryres/images/progress_bar_empty_right_round.png
push: recoveryres/images/progress_bar_empty_left_round.png -> /system/bin/recove
ryres/images/progress_bar_empty_left_round.png
push: recoveryres/images/progress_bar_empty.png -> /system/bin/recoveryres/image
s/progress_bar_empty.png
push: recoveryres/images/indeterminate6.png -> /system/bin/recoveryres/images/in
determinate6.png
push: recoveryres/images/indeterminate5.png -> /system/bin/recoveryres/images/in
determinate5.png
push: recoveryres/images/indeterminate4.png -> /system/bin/recoveryres/images/in
determinate4.png
push: recoveryres/images/indeterminate3.png -> /system/bin/recoveryres/images/in
determinate3.png
push: recoveryres/images/indeterminate2.png -> /system/bin/recoveryres/images/in
determinate2.png
push: recoveryres/images/indeterminate1.png -> /system/bin/recoveryres/images/in
determinate1.png
push: recoveryres/images/icon_installing.png -> /system/bin/recoveryres/images/i
con_installing.png

baconnbitz2010

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
So, just to clarify, there is no way (currently) to convert to EXT4 if you already rooted/installed EC05 with PAUL627g's method (which is working great)? If we have to wait for a EXT4 conversion, will there be a link in this thread to that so we can all update? I REALLY, really like EXT4 not just for custom ROMs but for the speed of accessing files -- it friggin' flies!!

Officerpolabear

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Really? I did the root paul's way first but then did the ext4 method afterwards (reason why I did rfs first was because the ext4 method that worked wasn't posted up). Also can flashing a deodexed rom make your deodexed as well?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Really? I did the root paul's way first but then did the ext4 method afterwards (reason why I did rfs first was because the ext4 method that worked wasn't posted up). Also can flashing a deodexed rom make your deodexed as well?

Deodexed, cannot be achieved by flashing anything. It is a process of a developer taking the ROM and by use of a script or other means taking the files and converting them from "odex" to "deodexed".

So basically what I'm saying is until we have an stock deodexed version of EC05 you have 2 other choices. Bonsai and midNIGHT which are custom ROMs and not in stock form anymore.

Officerpolabear

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Okay but will having an odexed rom be slower than a deodexed rom? from what I remember, all deodexed roms do is allow people to add on to the rom easier or something like that

cigarfan

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Paul, the Midnight ROM v5 BYOR edition, is this ROM ext4 compatible or is it the Standard edition ext4? or are they both ext4? Thanks for your help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non