Universal car mount for use with TPU (or other) case?

h4ldol

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
It's been tough giving up a perfect fitting car mount like I've used in the past for my Evo 4G, iPhone 3G, and even the old Samsung Blackjack I and II. But I've decided I don't want my E4GT to end up as battered as my Evo 4G and so the only alternative is to use a case (I use a TPU case) and a universal car mount.

I would prefer to use a universal mount that is as minimalist/low-profile as possible (no gigantic arm/brackets on the sides or shelf on the bottom, etc.) but I haven't found anything that seems to be a nice fit yet. I checked out a few mounts on ebay that look pretty decent, but I'm not sure if they'll fit well, or at all. I can't post the links (my work computer blocks ebay) but they can be found by searching for:

"mountek car mount 4 htc evo shift 4g auto cd dash stand" (this one has an odd CD-tray mounting mechanism)

"car windscreen mount holder for samsung galaxy s2 i9100"

"black macally mcup universal cup holder phone car mount for cell phones" (this is the one I like the most but not sure if it would accomodate the girth of the E4GT and the seller doesn't seem to be accepting inquiries)

Any suggestions would be great, thanks!

sko580

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
i have the Mountek and works great for me. I don't mind sacrificing the cd slot as i no longer use it. All my music is from pandora via Bluetooth streaming. It worked great on my Evo and now the Epic Touch.

When i went away on assignment, the mount came in handy as the phone was my GPS. Setup is easy and minimal. Can be easily removed from the rental vehicle.

The only issue i had is getting a phone with its side buttons not getting in the way of the clamps. When I did have the Photon, the clamps were pressing onto the button. In the case of the Epic Touch, it clears it.

DataHawg

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
i have the Mountek and works great for me. I don't mind sacrificing the cd slot as i no longer use it. All my music is from pandora via Bluetooth streaming. It worked great on my Evo and now the Epic Touch.

When i went away on assignment, the mount came in handy as the phone was my GPS. Setup is easy and minimal. Can be easily removed from the rental vehicle.

The only issue i had is getting a phone with its side buttons not getting in the way of the clamps. When I did have the Photon, the clamps were pressing onto the button. In the case of the Epic Touch, it clears it.

Mounteks website has a picture of the unit that appears to have the unit mounted in a cassette player but the site doesn't say anything about that. It looks like the cd tray piece is removable allowing it to fit in cassette players also. The semi truck in drive only has a cassette.

defyantx07

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the link vader4633! I ordered the Nuvi 200 mount (the stick on version), and the fit is perfect for the phone with TPU case. Almost as if it were made for it!

View attachment 15939
View attachment 15940

Great Photos. I bought one after checking yours out (the suction cup version). One thing I'm wondering though. How did you get your homescreen to look like that (the clock and the quick links on the bottom). Are you using a custom rom?

cosmoworks

May 20, 2011
Visit site
Great Photos. I bought one after checking yours out (the suction cup version). One thing I'm wondering though. How did you get your homescreen to look like that (the clock and the quick links on the bottom). Are you using a custom rom?

Stock rom - I'm just using Launcher Pro with the dreamlyfe theme and simi clock widget. Details here.

anymoose

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site

h4ldol

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the link vader4633! I ordered the Nuvi 200 mount (the stick on version), and the fit is perfect for the phone with TPU case.

Wow... what a great fit. Thanks for the nice pics. Does the cradle pinch the TPU case at all (if it does, it could cause the TPU case to get deformed over time possibly)?

In any case, you mentioned a 'stick on version' -- is it this one on ebay (unfortunately, only from Hong Kong)?

for Garmin nuvi 250w 260w 255w 200w car dashboard mount | eBay

cosmoworks

May 20, 2011
Visit site
Wow... what a great fit. Thanks for the nice pics. Does the cradle pinch the TPU case at all (if it does, it could cause the TPU case to get deformed over time possibly)?

In any case, you mentioned a 'stick on version' -- is it this one on ebay (unfortunately, only from Hong Kong)?

for Garmin nuvi 250w 260w 255w 200w car dashboard mount | eBay

No, there's no pinching or distortion - it's almost as if it were made to hold the phone with the TPU case. I've also have a universal mount, but this one is MUCH easier to use with the E4GT + TPU.

I've found the stick on ones for a few bucks cheaper, but I wanted it fast, so I paid a little more for a stateside seller:
IG-PSTARA+BKT200 Sticky mount & Bracket Garmin Nuvi 200 | eBay

Of course there's also the friction mount version, vent mount version, cup holder version, bike handlebar version, etc.....
Mount Garmin, Garmin Dash Mount items in nuvi 200 store on eBay!

h4ldol

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
No, there's no pinching or distortion - it's almost as if it were made to hold the phone with the TPU case. I've also have a universal mount, but this one is MUCH easier to use with the E4GT + TPU.

I've found the stick on ones for a few bucks cheaper, but I wanted it fast, so I paid a little more for a stateside seller

Great, thanks. It looks slightly different than the Hong Kong one but better in that it doesn't stick out as much. Guess I'll see which one is better (I ordered the US one after ordering the HK one last night).

Btw, the McNally car mount that I linked in the first post does *not* fit the E4GT. It's way too small.

cosmoworks

May 20, 2011
Visit site
Guess I'll see which one is better (I ordered the US one after ordering the HK one last night).

The bracket is probably the exact same thing, but as you pointed out the mount is slightly different. I like having the ball joint at the base too, so that I can shift the entire phone to where I want it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez