02-09-2012 03:14 PM
189 1234 ...
tools
    I'm on day 3 still no loss and don't expect it sfhub root method is the way to go
    Haha Sling! I don't want to discount this root method by any means, I think it's beyond great, but you know very well that the reason you haven't seen LOS is because you re-flashed the pulled stock kernel after flashing Calk's ROM.

With that said, if I were to warp back in time and root my phone for the first time, I would definitely use this method above all others.
    11-15-2011 06:12 PM
    Haha Sling! I don't want to discount this root method by any means, I think it's beyond great, but you know very well that the reason you haven't seen LOS is because you re-flashed the pulled stock kernel after flashing Calk's ROM.

With that said, if I were to warp back in time and root my phone for the first time, I would definitely use this method above all others.
    I agree with these post 100%, I have never experienced LOS with the stock pulled.
    11-15-2011 06:16 PM
    I'm getting a "Waiting for device to be connected" when trying to root. I have it in usb debug mode and mass storage isn't running from what I can tell. I installed the windows usb drivers as well. Any ideas?
    11-15-2011 06:32 PM

Most defiantly kernel plays big part but for user that just wants root this method is the way to go leaving on board kernel untouched.
    Come to find I could of removed zImage from rom and not had to flash EG30 stock on top,
    11-15-2011 06:51 PM
    I'm getting a "Waiting for device to be connected" when trying to root. I have it in usb debug mode and mass storage isn't running from what I can tell. I installed the windows usb drivers as well. Any ideas?
    hmm sounds like drivers aren't syncing with device.
    Reboot pc try again
    11-15-2011 06:55 PM
    Sometimes if your machine suspends while connected to the phone the adb server can become unresponsive. You can choose Option G - "Stop ADB Server" or reboot your machine and try again.
    11-15-2011 07:05 PM
    Come to find I could of removed zImage from rom and not had to flash EG30 stock on top,
    I wasn't sure if that would work, so I never mentioned it before. It does make sense though. I'm sure you would have preferred that over having to re-flash the stock kernel.
    11-15-2011 07:12 PM
    I wasn't sure if that would work, so I never mentioned it before. It does make sense though. I'm sure you would have preferred that over having to re-flash the stock kernel.
    oh yeah I would of preferred that rout f,sure . I didn't want that LOS kernel touching my hardware but it all worked out no harm done.
    It would be nice if rom developers left kernel out of the mix though. Back in my EVO days that's how it was done
    11-15-2011 07:23 PM
    To disable mass storage I click on the "USB connected" in my pull down window. This takes me to a screen with the android dude and a "connect USB storage" button. It appears to be deactivated by default or am I missing something?
    11-16-2011 08:05 AM
    To disable mass storage I click on the "USB connected" in my pull down window. This takes me to a screen with the android dude and a "connect USB storage" button. It appears to be deactivated by default or am I missing something?
    Nope not missing anything leave it deactivated.
    11-16-2011 09:35 AM
    Thanks Sling. I have no idea whats going wrong. The PC sees my phone plugged into the USB but the program does not.
    11-16-2011 10:04 AM
    Thanks Sling. I have no idea whats going wrong. The PC sees my phone plugged into the USB but the program does not.

The way I did it on windows pc

Download the EG30 automated rooting package UNZIP to top-level directory of your C: drive - eg30auto.zip
    Install Samsung USB/Android drivers to pc - http://org.downloadcenter.samsung.co...1_3_2360_0.exe
    Enable USB debugging on device - [Menu->Settings->Applications->Development->USB debugging]
    Connect phone to USB port Drag down the notification bar and tap on "USB Connected"] but don't tap on (connect USB Storage) tab
    On pc Navigate to C: drive \eg30auto and double-click on RUNFIRST.bat) and your ready for action.

From that point you will see,

Select (A) to root let it go through the motion follow prompts.
    11-16-2011 10:36 AM
    I'm thinking it's a driver issue. I tried to reinstall the sumsung driver but it says I already have them installed. I have plugged my phone into my PC before to transfer music using windows default drivers. I'm guessing windows is still using those drivers even though the sumsungs drivers are installed. Will check when I return home tonight.
    11-16-2011 10:44 AM
    I'm thinking it's a driver issue. I tried to reinstall the sumsung driver but it says I already have them installed. I have plugged my phone into my PC before to transfer music using windows default drivers. I'm guessing windows is still using those drivers even though the sumsungs drivers are installed. Will check when I return home tonight.
    More then likely.
    Try rebooting PC that may get things in order.
    If not un-install both sets of drivers , reboot PC and re-install.
    11-16-2011 10:50 AM
    The script is using adb to communicate with your phone. If adb cannot commuicate with your phone, then neither can the script.

Your problem right now is between adb, the drivers, and your phone.

Have you rebooted the PC? Do you get the USB ding sounds when you plug in your phone? Do you see the USB symbol in the notification bar?
    11-16-2011 11:30 AM
    The script is using adb to communicate with your phone. If adb cannot commuicate with your phone, then neither can the script.

Your problem right now is between adb, the drivers, and your phone.

Have you rebooted the PC? Do you get the USB ding sounds when you plug in your phone? Do you see the USB symbol in the notification bar?
    I have rebooted my PC numerous times trying to get this to work. I wouldnt have heard the ding sound as my speakers were off. I am not getting the USB symbol in windows unless I turned on mass storage at which point the new storage device window pops up.
    11-16-2011 01:48 PM
    Not sure if im missing something here, but after doing this root process, wifi tether still doesnt work, it would start up and would appear to seem like it works but the phone isn't broadcasting the ssid.
    Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
    11-16-2011 02:24 PM
    I have rebooted my PC numerous times trying to get this to work. I wouldnt have heard the ding sound as my speakers were off. I am not getting the USB symbol in windows unless I turned on mass storage at which point the new storage device window pops up.
    Did you turn on USB debugging on the phone?
    11-16-2011 02:54 PM
    Not sure if im missing something here, but after doing this root process, wifi tether still doesnt work, it would start up and would appear to seem like it works but the phone isn't broadcasting the ssid.
    When you type "su" in "adb shell" does it ask you for permissions on the phone's screen? If so, then the root worked and your problem with wifi tether is something unrelated to root. Perhaps you are expecting Infrastructure mode to work in wifi tether? It only works in ad-hoc mode, which means some devices won't see it.
    11-16-2011 02:56 PM
    So, I first rooted using the LosTKernel. If I wanted to keep root and CWM, but go back to the stock kernel, would option C accomplish this? Thanks!
    11-16-2011 07:54 PM
    So, I first rooted using the LosTKernel. If I wanted to keep root and CWM, but go back to the stock kernel, would option C accomplish this? Thanks!
    Normally it would, but some people said after using LoStKernel, they had trouble going back to stock kernel through just installing the EG30 kernel through ODIN (wifi didn't work), so I imagine something similar could happen if you installed EG30 kernel over LoStkernel with this script. You can try it, but if something doesn't work quite right, be prepared to use ODIN to flash stock EG30 kernel (pulled) and stock EG30 ROM (pulled).

Extensive testing was done using stock EG30 kernel and ROM as the starting point, so when you start from there everything should work fine.

If you start with some arbitrary kernel/ROM then theoretically it should work, but there is the possibility you might run into trouble. Not anything major that you couldn't recover from, but some things might not work right.
    11-16-2011 08:28 PM
    Team Rogue just released their stock pulled kernel with their modified CWM and init.d support. I'm gonna give it a try tonight... Flash right over LoStKernel.

Sent from my E4GT via Tapatalk
    11-16-2011 10:15 PM
    For comparison purposes, the new kernel/recovery from Rogue is CWM 5.0.2.6 based, so it does not backup/restore to internal sd. They are working on a CWM 5.0.2.7 release.

The one included in this package (chris41g's) is CWM 5.0.2.7 based, so it does backup to internal sd drive as well as external sd.

If you wanted to use the root installation kit in this thread to install Rogue kernel/recovery, you could take the zImage from the Rogue_ET-Stock-1.0.cwr.zip file and place it in copy2sd\000root

Then choose Option E to install a generic BootImg. It will work the same as if you had chosen Option C (EG30+CWM chris41g), except it will be the Rogue kernel/recovery.
    11-17-2011 01:44 AM
    Did you turn on USB debugging on the phone?
    Yes I turned it on. It appears that the Samsung drivers are not working with my PC correctly.

**update someone on the Samsung tech forums. "The tech told me that it wouldn't work on Win7 x64 (she said Win7 32-bit is supported)"
    Anyone get this working on Win 7 x64?
    11-17-2011 08:42 AM
    Yes I turned it on. It appears that the Samsung drivers are not working with my PC correctly.

**update someone on the Samsung tech forums. "The tech told me that it wouldn't work on Win7 x64 (she said Win7 32-bit is supported)"
    Anyone get this working on Win 7 x64?
    It works for me. Which method are you using to install the drivers?
    Try installing samsung kies from http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=17671177 unfortunately im mobile so I can't get you a direct link. In the post linked there a download link for samsung kies. Install that them restart your comp. After it boots connect the phone let the drivers install them let us know if it worked.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
    11-17-2011 09:29 AM
189 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD