question on updates

allan473

Mar 5, 2011
www.nebirds.com
When I bought an EVO it was already rooted and running Fresh Rom. I was told never to accept over the air updates (ok to update profile and prl). The Fresh developer provided Android updates and other updates such as gmail apps.

I have the Epic 4g Touch and plan to root it soon. If I keep the stock rom would I accept ota updates from Sprint?

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I'd think it would be okay on the stock ROM, but as a general practice I rarely if ever accept OTA updates. Sometimes they create more problems than they fix. Just look at the Galaxy Tab update that was just released then pulled. Sometimes it's better to wait for the development community to get their hands on the update and flash your phone manually.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Reactions: allan473

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Stock one.

Ah bummer. You must be in a LOS prone area. It's also too bad you have the EG31 modem, as there's no way to update to EK02 currently. In fact, with the EG31 modem, you will not be able to install the OTA update anyways (referring to your original question).

When the official update is released, we should see a full TAR package leaked that includes the full EK02 modem (the current leaked one is an update that will only update the EG30 modem). Then you'll be able to get on a full EK02 package (ROM+Kernel+Modem).

So far, it does seem that the EK02 stock kernel and modem has solved the LOS problem.

allan473

Mar 5, 2011
www.nebirds.com
I am all set now. I just finished upgrading the modem to ek02 (after downgrading first.) I also installed Calkulin's rom which has a custom kernel.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I am all set now. I just finished upgrading the modem to ek02 (after downgrading first.) I also installed Calkulin's rom which has a custom kernel.

Actually no. Calkulin's current version is packaged with a stock kernel.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

DaEXfactoR

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
Can someone help me out? I reverted back to stock, after rooting using sfhubs eg30auto. I did this to get the ek02 update. The installation failed twice. I even tried unrooting using the same tool. However, when the installation failed, the phone booted into clockworkmod recovery. Help anyone please.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Can someone help me out? I reverted back to stock, after rooting using sfhubs eg30auto. I did this to get the ek02 update. The installation failed twice. I even tried unrooting using the same tool. However, when the installation failed, the phone booted into clockworkmod recovery. Help anyone please.
Rooting/unrooting using the auto root has NO effect on whether the OTA will successfully install or not.

All that matters for installing the Sprint Official OTA is whether you have the 3 following:
1) stock EG30 modem
2) stock EG30 BootImg/zImage/Recovery (CWM is NOT stock recovery)
3) stock EG30 ROM (you cannot modify or delete any files in /system, adding files is ok)

If you have 1, 2, 3, the Sprint Official OTA will work, whether you are rooted or not.

From what you describe, it sounds like you need to run Option C and reinstall EG30.

Also you must UNDO any changes you made on your own to /system.

If figuring out what changed on /system is too much effort, I suggest you run this:
[ROM][STOCK][ODIN OC] EG30 Stock One-Click (NO BL) - xda-developers

to put back a stock EG30 system (preserves your user data), then run the OTA update afterwards.

DaEXfactoR

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
Rooting/unrooting using the auto root has NO effect on whether the OTA will successfully install or not.

All that matters for installing the Sprint Official OTA is whether you have the 3 following:
1) stock EG30 modem
2) stock EG30 BootImg/zImage/Recovery (CWM is NOT stock recovery)
3) stock EG30 ROM (you cannot modify or delete any files in /system, adding files is ok)

If you have 1, 2, 3, the Sprint Official OTA will work, whether you are rooted or not.

From what you describe, it sounds like you need to run Option C and reinstall EG30.

Also you must UNDO any changes you made on your own to /system.

If figuring out what changed on /system is too much effort, I suggest you run this:
[ROM][STOCK][ODIN OC] EG30 Stock One-Click (NO BL) - xda-developers

to put back a stock EG30 system (preserves your user data), then run the OTA update afterwards.

OK, that's what I couldn't quite figure, out how to get back to the stock recovery image.
Thanks

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez