Essential Review thread

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
Doesn't bother me at all. I don't take a lot of pictures anyway. Hardly any at all actually. It will improve I'm sure and for people like me that will be fine enough. For others it will not be. Time will tell for sure.

anon(9918034)

May 19, 2016
Visit site
I'm also in the boat of I don't that take a lot of pictures, also if it's an important occasions I use a real camera not a cheap sensor on a phone.

Also gizmodo is the last place I would go for a quote review. At the price point to of the essential you are not getting a cheap aluminum and plastic phone.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
this was before the hdr update, Gizmodo is a joke and is the national enquirer of the smart phone news media.

Gizmodo mentions installing the update with HDR and all the problems the camera was still having. None of these reviews I read have good opinions of the camera.

PhiPsi32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
New tech and new apps usually aren't "fully baked" at launch. But this is a larger concern them I would typically expect.

Aodmisery

Aug 17, 2017
Visit site
what a coincidence that both bgr.com and gizomodo destroyed the phone on the review and theyre the ones that got denied on receiving a review phone.

modifier

Jul 13, 2017
Visit site
Gets roasted by Mr Mobile
Ouch. Customer service notwithstanding, it sounds like the camera is the biggest sticking point. It'll be interesting to test the Pixel HDR and Open Camera apps to see how well they work with just the RGB camera.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Ouch. Customer service notwithstanding, it sounds like the camera is the biggest sticking point. It'll be interesting to test the Pixel HDR and Open Camera apps to see how well they work with just the RGB camera.
There is an update rolling out now for camera improvements according to Mr Mobile

modifier

Jul 13, 2017
Visit site
@bhatech I suspect the camera will be a major focus going forward. They made a huge deal about the mono/color combo online, bragged about the engineers behind it, etc. The initial photos looked good but reviewers haven't been able to produce similar results.

@1901Madison Yes, it's certainly possible this phone might suck for some people and in some ways. Build quality doesn't seem to be one of the complaints. Photo quality will hopefully improve with time. The question might come down to confidence in the brand overall. If they don't make some PR magic happen and set customers' minds at ease, they'll see a heavy return rate in the 15-day period purely because some won't want to (or can't afford to) take a $699 risk.

As I've always said, I'm giving it a fair chance and rely on my own review. But, if it sucks then it will get returned. The problem then will be in finding an alternative and I don't see anything built or designed remotely close to this.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana