Essential Review thread

fernandez21

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
I just realized this phone has split screen holding down the square button. How did I not know that....sweet
Yup, watching hurricane updates while still being able to surf online. Screen also large enough to make this useful.
ad5f731e3aabcd04703dced9438b15ff.jpg

modifier

Jul 13, 2017
Visit site
Drop and abuse test from @SeanHollisterCNET. Not at all surprised with the results. Drop it once or twice from a normal height and it should be fine. Severe, repeated drops won't fare well for any phone.

The matte black borders are GFRP and will get nicked if hit hard enough. But, that's also what saves the display from an instant crack. Can't win 'em all. Something has to give.

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
This is what I am experiencing. It get sloooow if you open a lot of apps. This phone just feels rushed to market. bare naked android should be far superior to what we are experiencing.

https://youtu.be/vMiTOKKX7ek

While I agree Essential is slow, but on the whole I feel the test is not accurate without knowing many factors like:
- Are the devices connected to the same WiFi network?
--- Why? Routers can have limits and conditions based on the number of devices.
--- If LTE, that could also affect based off of the location

- There are 5 devices in total, what is the router capacity and how does it allocate network bandwidth?
--- Why? Because, all of the games he loaded downloads content from the internet and that could affect based on who connected first

- How many apps does the phones have in total? Background tasks?
--- Why? Android is known to keep background tasks running while iPhone is known to manage them and kill them off according to its needs. So there is a huge difference here.

- He is not doing a parallel test, rather showing us after the fact and that could have delays inbetween them.

- What OP5 model is he using - 6GB vs 8GB?
--- I have the 8GB model and it is fast, really fast, even loading apps from memory.

So yea, I can totally see these tests falling in favor of the iPhone depending on many factors and that will depend on what you really want to show.

So, just my two cents.

msp1518

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
Jeeeeesus Christmas. Jerry dropped it from a height of basically nothing. And the screen cracked badly. Yeah the ceramic will survive, but so what?

Tempered glass screen protectors are a requirement. It is entirely likely that the screen would have survived that first drop has it been covered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AR6u5s-h8s

It held up much longer in that review, proving that with glass screens it's just luck. Bad or good, it's luck. Essentially... it needs A CASE!! And a Screen protector!!

That is an essential fact. All phones do.

Last edited:

fernandez21

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Jeeeeesus Christmas. Jerry dropped it from a height of basically nothing. And the screen cracked badly. Yeah the ceramic will survive, but so what?

Tempered glass screen protectors are a requirement. It is entirely likely that the screen would have survived that first drop has it been covered.

It held up much longer in that review, proving that with glass screens it's just luck. Bad or good, it's luck. Essentially... it needs A CASE!! And a Screen protector!!

I agree it's mostly luck, but also this is the phone he did the durability tests on, and if you watch that video he scraped off some of the plastic frame that protects screen. Not saying it would've survived that first drop, but it it sure didn't help.

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site

Any phone today in the market, if you drop it face down, you are going to have the screen cracked up one way or the other. Jerry also clearly tells this is not a scientfic test to prove how good or bad this phone is but one of the many tests. He also mentioned that since he used the same phone for his durability tests, it could withstand less than an ideal new phone.

Temperered glass protectors are a requirment regardless of if you are using Essential or not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karim174