Essential Review thread

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
There have been times when software updates improved the camera. Does no remember the pixel being plagued with camera issues when it first launched. Now it's rated one of the top cameras in a phone because of the app. The HTC 10 had some camera issues at launch, a few updates later and bam one of the best under rated cameras in a phone.

Can anyone else name a phone for 700 that comes with 128gb storage and that is built out of titanium and ceramic? The fact that the only bezel that really exists is at the bottom of the screen.

Other than flare issue which is still there and doesn't bother most folks the Pixel camera was great from the time it launched. Pretty much every Pixel reviewer was blown away by the pixel camera quality and still one of the top camera compared to many latest phones.

msp1518

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
It's amazing how people can really divide themselves on these issues. With regards to the camera, the reviews are pretty much universal that it stinks. And the sample images I am seeing are bad. This is incredibly troublesome. Meanwhile other aspects of the phone are being pretty much universally praised. But a bad camera on top of no headphone jack and no water resistance IS a huge hurdle for most. I will not be able to accept a lackluster camera. I was willing to forgo the headphone jack because of the quality construction (I despise these fragile all glass abominations). But not with a lackluster camera.

Essential will have 15 days with me once I get it. If it does not prove itself in two weeks, I am returning it. And then I will simply wait until gen 2.

Of course some are saying that the essential people are claiming there will be no USB type C connector in the next generation release LOL! Good grief. I am praying this is bullspit.

firebirder

Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I dunno, I've looked at some of the side-by-side photo reviews and some are obvious and bad looking but some I don't see much difference. Now I am by no means an expert at photography and all, but if I feel like your phone should be used for occasional, spur of the moment photos. Wanna take photos of something special/important, don't use a phone. And it seem people are having major improvements sideloading the pixel .apk, so either do that or it suggests an update could improve it.

It'd be great if this phone had EVERYTHING, but no headphone jack is a trend. I was disappointed at first but then realized, when was the last time I used it. No waterproofing? Don't use it in a pool.

Also, this is a $700 current hardware spec phone. Last year's high-end phones are launch where slightly more than that and it seems that going forward, the top-end phone's will be closer to $1k. That's around 33% more than this phone... that's pretty substantial to most people.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I dunno, I've looked at some of the side-by-side photo reviews and some are obvious and bad looking but some I don't see much difference. Now I am by no means an expert at photography and all, but if I feel like your phone should be used for occasional, spur of the moment photos. Wanna take photos of something special/important, don't use a phone. And it seem people are having major improvements sideloading the pixel .apk, so either do that or it suggests an update could improve it.

It'd be great if this phone had EVERYTHING, but no headphone jack is a trend. I was disappointed at first but then realized, when was the last time I used it. No waterproofing? Don't use it in a pool.

Also, this is a $700 current hardware spec phone. Last year's high-end phones are launch where slightly more than that and it seems that going forward, the top-end phone's will be closer to $1k. That's around 33% more than this phone... that's pretty substantial to most people.

...it has what the company thinks (not what the complainers think) are the essentials.

fernandez21

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
From what I'm seeing in reviews, it's low light where this camera sucks. In well lit areas it's just as good as the other flagships, but lose a little bit of light and it struggles.

anon(661246)

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
MKBHD review ... Same like everyone, crappy camera

https://youtu.be/ftqaMBDj2oY

Yeah, that and it seems anything other than perfect lighting the photo quality dips. I doubt any amount of updates is going to make it rival flagships.

Also the third time I heard that the fingerprint sensor reaction time is a bit slow. Hopefully they get an update out to fix that.

I also will not use a phone with an lcd screen, those days are over for me.

I'll wait and see how/if the company bounces back and what their second generation is like

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, that and it seems anything other than perfect lighting the photo quality dips. I doubt any amount of updates is going to make it rival flagships.

Also the third time I heard that the fingerprint sensor reaction time is a bit slow. Hopefully they get an update out to fix that.

I also will not use a phone with an lcd screen, those days are over for me.

I'll wait and see how/if the company bounces back and what their second generation is like
Yeah it's tough to get camera right, took many iterations for lots of companies to get it right ... Google and HTC nailed with their latest flagship after many attempts. Motorola still struggling to get it right, so not easy and we will see how long it takes.

modifier

Jul 13, 2017
Visit site
Teardown video below. Definitely not IPx7/IPx8 rated at the speaker/USB-C/SIM tray area but mildly splash-resistant in most locations, especially the front.

msp1518

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
This is what I am experiencing. It get sloooow if you open a lot of apps. This phone just feels rushed to market. bare naked android should be far superior to what we are experiencing.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
That hurt to watch.
Makes me question why I have Android phones. I wish he had tested a Pixel in that group.

Not surprising since Apple controls every integration on its phone and can fine tune to one OS/device. With Android gets little tricky, one can only wonder how the new iPhone will perform in these tests. I think pixel would have slotted in somewhere next to OP5 in this test. Also, showed the essential how it was not optimized. Essential team have a lot of work to do soon if not they are going to lose lot of money just taking back phones and issuing refunds. You wonder if it was even a wise move to release a phone unpolished software wise. First impression is the best impression.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aitana135332