What problems are you experiencing with the Essential Phone

vamp07

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
I’ll probably end up ordering one and playing with it but the camera is the one item I have a really tough time compromising on.

duquel23

Oct 30, 2017
Visit site
Question...

Has anyone else experienced a rattling sound coming from the top half of their essential phone? It sounds like it is coming from inside the device, and I can hear it as I move the phone or tap on the top half of the screen. It is pretty noticeable and it is not being caused by any of the buttons, cameras, or magnets.

If someone could please confirm a yes or no on this I would appreciate it. I just got the phone last week so I can still return or exchange it through Sprint if this turns out to be a valid concern. I would hope that the phones are not built and shipped with such an annoying defect (just my picky opinion I guess).

Thanks again everyone!

vamp07

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
Question...

Has anyone else experienced a rattling sound coming from the top half of their essential phone? It sounds like it is coming from inside the device, and I can hear it as I move the phone or tap on the top half of the screen. It is pretty noticeable and it is not being caused by any of the buttons, cameras, or magnets.

If someone could please confirm a yes or no on this I would appreciate it. I just got the phone last week so I can still return or exchange it through Sprint if this turns out to be a valid concern. I would hope that the phones are not built and shipped with such an annoying defect (just my picky opinion I guess).

Thanks again everyone!

Just exchange it. That does not sound right and I don’t have to have one of these phones to know that.

a6d9cmro

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
I gotta say, I love this phone...the weight, size of the screen, all of it. I have been waffling between the stock camera app and the ported BSG Google camera app and really don't notice any difference. I have also received at least 3 updates since I got it on the 27th of Oct. Its just a great phone and it sux that so many are having issues.

modifier

Jul 13, 2017
Visit site
I gotta say, I love this phone...the weight, size of the screen, all of it. I have been waffling between the stock camera app and the ported BSG Google camera app and really don't notice any difference. I have also received at least 3 updates since I got it on the 27th of Oct. Its just a great phone and it sux that so many are having issues.
Welcome to AC!

Many here would agree overall. On the camera, I've been using the stock app more often as well. It's simple and it works.

DominionRoofs

Dec 14, 2016
Visit site
is lag or scrolling jank apperent on the essential? I'm almost ready to order and send my pixel 2 XL back because of the cost differential but I'm worried it's still not optimized like is should be.

modifier

Jul 13, 2017
Visit site
is lag or scrolling jank apperent on the essential? I'm almost ready to order and send my pixel 2 XL back because of the cost differential but I'm worried it's still not optimized like is should be.
The October update is really smooth. I've never had lag since launch. I'm on my third PH-1 with a fourth on the way. I canceled my 2 XL order without regret. But, all you can do is try both and see which you prefer. It's always going to come down to personal experience.

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site

I have had this since day 1 and I haven’t experienced any lag or scrolling jank. Some have reported here in the forums and got replaced with a newer device so it could be a device fault as well.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I have had black earlier, now the white and do see jank, scrolling lag, random lock ups etc. May be it's got to do with the amount of apps, the way you use the phone etc. There may be many factors but there are plenty of people here and on Reddit who have experienced jank. Not saying everyone has since this could be based on any number of factors or even how you define jank etc. Personally having Note 8 earlier, Pixel 2 now it's a big difference on how those perform every day compared to essential.
Don't get be wrong I do like the essential phone still but at least for me it doesn't perform at the same level as Pixel 2, or even many other flagship. May be they finally get everything sorted out in Oreo. Let's see I'm willing to wait out and see how this phone software evolves.

modifier

Jul 13, 2017
Visit site
I have had black earlier, now the white and do see jank, scrolling lag, random lock ups etc.
Do you have FPR swipe enabled and your finger on the FPR by chance? Coming from an S8, the Essential has been far smoother and free of any jank. I haven't yet had the new Pixel 2 side-by-side with my apps installed for a 1:1 comparison.

Either way, everyone's experience will differ here and the apps installed will play a huge role as you suggested.

Oreo should help even more.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Do you have FPR swipe enabled and your finger on the FPR by chance? Coming from an S8, the Essential has been far smoother and free of any jank. I haven't yet had the new Pixel 2 side-by-side with my apps installed for a 1:1 comparison.

Either way, everyone's experience will differ here and the apps installed will play a huge role as you suggested.

Oreo should help even more.
Yeah I read that FPR swipe is causing some issue, I turned it off. Don't use that feature anyway so probably will keep it off.

Did your F&F order ship? Mine is still stuck in processing.

fernandez21

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Ever since the latest update my phone has been restarting in the middle of night while on the charger. This sucks because the phone doesn't fully boot until I add my passcode, so any calls, messages, or alarms don't go off.

James Fowler1

Nov 2, 2017
Visit site
I got this phone via Amazon four days ago and I am having touch issues. I have also experienced apps crashing and the screen just freezing a second or two. I have received two updates. I tried the trick with the high sensitivity seeing for the screen. I like everything about the phone except for these bugs.

DominionRoofs

Dec 14, 2016
Visit site
I got this phone via Amazon four days ago and I am having touch issues. I have also experienced apps crashing and the screen just freezing a second or two. I have received two updates. I tried the trick with the high sensitivity seeing for the screen. I like everything about the phone except for these bugs.

I ordered from Amazon tonight. I'm a little disappointed that all these updates are not fixing the same ol issues. Can't help but
think that they may not know what they're doing?

James Fowler1

Nov 2, 2017
Visit site
I'll give it another week. If I can't use my signal app or other basics without it freezing or not sensing my touch input, it goes back. Imagine how bad that will be after two years.

andrew_ackley

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
The only time my phone freezes is when I play clash Royale in the middle of matches. If you play that game u can understand why that's frustrating. This phone is just a spare but I'll be returning if it isn't fixed soon.

andrew_ackley

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
Nevermind maybe I just haven't used it enough. it's froze two times on me just now in the forums typing responses. Ugh! I can't tell you the last time I've had a phone completely just freeze up and no touch input works at all. must be a memory bug of some sort. Annoying though