What problems are you experiencing with the Essential Phone

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
They have fixed the touch problem. The camera software is much better and takes really good pictures. Does not have tons of features, but if you need that, use an editing app after. The smart Lock is a known bug and they are fixing it soon. The bt issue of random disconnects is gone. Though I have an old bt issue with the phone in my car using Google Assistant. Turn off auto adjust in display if you think the screen is too dark. The slippery feel goes away. Kind of.... If you are having any weirdness at all with this phone, make sure you have the latest update from Essential for the phone's os. Then do a reset. Your phone will work great. Progress has been made. Just being fair and keeping the forum relevant.

What build are you on? I'm on the latest update and I'm having touch issues.

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
Just curious but what issues are you having?

It sounds like they have another batch of touch improvements slated for the next OTA. Hopefully it releases soon.

Basically, I find myself often having to perform the same touch twice. The first touch often doesn't register for whatever reason. I'm noticing that this happens everywhere on the screen, not just the sides. I'm on NMI81C.

udazavlanje

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
I just bought the unlocked version from Best Buy the other day and I really do like it! My issues are weak wifi at work (home is ok) and there are like no cases available for it - it is so slippery.

can you compare it to other phones you have / had for radio signal. that's the most important thing I look in the phone and second is battery longevity. what SOT are you getting on an average day of moderate use ? and how about heavy one.
I love the size and the feel of the phone , but it's hard to move from 2 full day battery of Z Play and Moto Display :) also, I would have to [finally] switch carriers - gotta wait for another month or two for a contract on 1 line to expire. I'm definitely excited with the idea of buying a phone of my choice. :) it's either gonna be unlocked Z Play/G5s Plus/New Blackberry (w 4000mAh & SD630 or this awesome phone if major issues are resolved.

udazavlanje

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
I was getting VoLTE on VZW with my XPE, but it as still having issues with connection compared to VZW devices. it would drop faster in low signal areas and take longer to reconnect. on Verizon I would never recommend unlocked phones even when they are fully compatible with their Bands and all.

Guy Katz

Nov 15, 2015
Visit site
hey guys;
so there were a few system updates and app update.
how would you describe the phone status as of now? are you still bummed? are you super happy? did the update prove to be important?
when you start to read this thread from the start you see mostly disappointment but as you progress through it you start to see people happy.
so which is it for u?

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm on Verizon and I'm not getting data on the Verizon network. The signal is night and day worse than every other phone I've had. Such a bummer. The phone is absolutely gorgeous, but feels half baked.

anon(9918034)

May 19, 2016
Visit site
I'm on Verizon and I'm not getting data on the Verizon network. The signal is night and day worse than every other phone I've had. Such a bummer. The phone is absolutely gorgeous, but feels half baked.

Considering Verizon's lack luster approach to getting the phone to work on their network. This really isn't an essential phone issue. More of a Verizon doesn't want phones that are unlocked to work the best.

I have better network connection speeds and reliability with this phone than any other phone I have with sprint.

anon(9918034)

May 19, 2016
Visit site
hey guys;
so there were a few system updates and app update.
how would you describe the phone status as of now? are you still bummed? are you super happy? did the update prove to be important?
when you start to read this thread from the start you see mostly disappointment but as you progress through it you start to see people happy.
so which is it for u?

Couldn't be happier, this phone just gets better with every update. I haven't ever really experienced any of these critical issues most people commented about. For myself this phone has the best battery life( on average around 7 hours of SoT). My apps run smoother compared to the last 2 phones I had(gs8+ and LG G6)

Bluetooth works better than my last 2 phones, I had to buy a separate Bluetooth adapter to have a stable connection for my car. This phone connects and stays connected to my stereo.

I get better cell reception and call quality (bought through sprint) it is one if the few phones that uses their LTE+ network. Which is an incredibly good network so far.

The camera is the least of my concern, it's never a selling point on a phone for me. I can see where people have the issues, in the small amount if pictures I do take. It has performed as expected and produced some nice pictures.

At the end of the day, this phone just works and works well. There are a few minor annoyances, but those come with every phone ever made.

kegar42

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
the problem I'm having is when I text someone I don't receive their text back unless I make a random phone call then I receive all the text back to back in a flood im on Sprint I heard it's only with them that this happens

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
the problem I'm having is when I text someone I don't receive their text back unless I make a random phone call then I receive all the text back to back in a flood im on Sprint I heard it's only with them that this happens

I can confirm this does not happen with my phone. I am with T-Mobile though so it should be a Sprint problem as you suggest.

The DragonTJH

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site

I had that same problem initially, but after a reset and a little patience it resolved itself. If it remains a problem I would contact Sprint.

kegar42

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
I have been on the phone with Sprint tech support for three weeks since I took the phone out of the box and they can't figure out the problem the last tech I spoke to suggested the phone is defective they are sending me a new one tomorrow he told me if it continues with the new one that he will make a master ticket so Sprint and essential can get together to figure it out you would think since essential went exclusive with Sprint all these problems would be ironed out

mmednick1

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I have a problem with charging the phone. sometimes it's on slow charging and sometimes it's fast. sometimes it don't charge at all. WTH

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
the essential one doesn't work at all. it won't charge with that one

May be you got a bad unit? I remember someone else here in the forum had similar problems that returned the device. I would suggest you return the device as well as it could be a manufacturing defect.

mmednick1

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I'm actually going to return mine on Friday and get a white essential,. so I guess it worked out good that the charger doesn't work. ha

vamp07

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
I love this phone and I want one so bad. I played with one a couple times and there is absolutely no other phone that feels this premium or that I like the design as much is this. The only thing that holds me back is that I need a camera that is good it doesn’t have to be the best but I has to be good. I really like things like waterproofing and a good selection of cases but I can live without those but not having a good camera is a dead end for me. It’s such a shame that they messed up on something that nowadays so important.

mmednick1

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Vamp, it's not as bad as some are saying. with the update it has gotten better and I'm sure it will only continue to get better.