My issues - Oleophobic coating and scrolling smoothness

Sep 8, 2017
Visit site
Just wanted to post my issues here to see if anyone else is experiencing similar ones.

1. The oleophobic coating looks to be coming off after 1 week of use, right where I usually pull down the notification shade. I've never used any liquid cleaners on the display. Here are some pictures: https://imgur.com/a/gKvVB

2. Scrolling in any menu or app has the jitters. I haven't experienced this on Android since 2012, likely because it's been all Nexus and Pixel phones for me since then. I've tried to make a video of it. I feel like it's hard to show but at least it shows where and at what speed I'm seeing these jitters. Anyone else? I feel like the Pixel has ruined me.
Here is the video: https://vid.me/qJHDE

Last edited:

msp1518

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
Wow on 1. Not in a good way. WTH is up with this phone launch?! Can they get anything right?

I am not seeing anything in that video.

Sep 8, 2017
Visit site
Wow on 1. Not in a good way. WTH is up with this phone launch?! Can they get anything right?

I am not seeing anything in that video.

It's hard to see the scrolling issue on the video. I think for non-Pixel and Nexus users, it would also be hard to notice if they've never had that completely smooth experience to compare to :(

Looks like this one will be going back for the screen issue regardless. If the next one still jitters when scrolling, I'll ask Essential for a refund. I've seen others mention the same issue, I just don't think everyone is sensitive to it.

I'd rather not get the new 5" Pixel with those bezels, but I refuse to use a SD835 device that can't run smoothly. Hopefully Essential gets their act together soon.

Sep 8, 2017
Visit site
Just want to add that I've already sold my Pixel but I've checked side-by-side with my roommate's Pixel and the difference in scrolling smoothness is incredibly noticeable

anon(522296)

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I actually think its something to do the way its setup, I did a factory reset after the update and set up as new and my experience completely changed ...for the better. That being said I don't think that is something we should worry about, it shouldn't be an issue restoring from a prior phone. Its an awesome fast phone when its setup right.

Sep 8, 2017
Visit site
I actually think its something to do the way its setup, I did a factory reset after the update and set up as new and my experience completely changed ...for the better. That being said I don't think that is something we should worry about, it shouldn't be an issue restoring from a prior phone. Its an awesome fast phone when its setup right.

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately I've already reset the phone a couple of times, no changes. It scores fine in the Antutu benchmark.

The phone is fast for sure. I have no complaints on that end. It's also the best feeling phone I've ever held, by far. Unfortunately it's just not smooth :(

fernandez21

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately I've already reset the phone a couple of times, no changes. It scores fine in the Antutu benchmark.

The phone is fast for sure. I have no complaints on that end. It's also the best feeling phone I've ever held, by far. Unfortunately it's just not smooth :(
Weird, if I flick scroll it's perfectly smooth, but if I drag my finger to scroll it's jittery.

Sep 8, 2017
Visit site
Try Nova Launcher for the scrolling. No problem with my screen that's really odd.

Thanks but this happens system-wide regardless of the app being used. I've confirmed the same behavior on a friend's PH-1 too. I think some people are more sensitive to to it than others and some people may not see it if they flick-scroll instead of slow-scroll while keeping your finger on the screen. If you compare side by side with any other stock Android phone like Moto, OnePlus, or Pixel, the stuttering is incredibly obvious. Seems like we need some kernel tweaks.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty