Facebook installation gives an error ''duplicate provider authority''

Slim Shaddy

Dec 25, 2014
Visit site
Hi everybody this is my first ever post I hope i will get an answer quickley from this forum,
My question is I have this LENOVO S860 smartphone with 4.4 android, It came as preinstalled Facebook which has an older version of facebook which I don't like much when i go to playstore and try to download Facebook it downloads smoothly but when the installation process comes up it gives an error ''duplicate provider authority'' I can't even uninstall the default Facebook and neither can update it, Please help me out
thanks and happy christmass

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Sorry for the delay in response--please bear in mind that this is a huge forum with thousands of posts per day and almost 2.5 million members, so there will be times when a person's post gets lost in the jumble. The best you can do is to continue bumping your thread if no one answers. Also keep in mind that any given issue might stump the vast majority of members, so the lack of response doesn't mean people are ignoring you.

Try going to Settings>Apps>All, select the Facebook app that came preinstalled, and tap Disable, if possible. Are you then able to install the Facebook app from Google Play Store?

Slim Shaddy

Dec 25, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for your quick reply, I just tried again by disabling the preinstalled FB app and downloading the new one from Play store but after finishing downloading it gave the same error ''Duplicate provider Authority''

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Is the preinstalled Facebook app the full app, or is it some specialized Facebook interface with the Lenovo UI?

If it's the full app, then I would have guessed that going to the Google Play Facebook app page would give you an "Update" button, rather than an "Install" button. But you're saying it was an "Install" button only, right?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
My guess is that Lenovo screwed up when preinstalling that version of Facebook. See this thread for some technical info on the error message: google play - Android duplicate provider authority problem - Stack Overflow. I'm not sure if there's an easy solution to this, apart from rooting the phone and removing the preinstalled Facebook. It may be worth contacting Lenovo support, but then again, they might be useless ...

I'll keep an eye out for other solutions.

Mudasar Doga

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site
Hi everybody this is my first ever post I hope i will get an answer quickley from this forum,
My question is I have this LENOVO S860 smartphone with 4.4 android, It came as preinstalled Facebook which has an older version of facebook which I don't like much when i go to playstore and try to download Facebook it downloads smoothly but when the installation process comes up it gives an error ''duplicate provider authority'' I can't even uninstall the default Facebook and neither can update it, Please help me out
thanks and happy christmass

carmcmni

Jun 27, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for your quick reply, I just tried again by disabling the preinstalled FB app and downloading the new one from Play store but after finishing downloading it gave the same error ''Duplicate provider Authority''
has this been resolved? I'm having the same problem with my android 4.2.2 O+ thanks.

Alan Portsmouth

Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
Same thing happened to me on my Sony Xperia. Try this - log out of everything, shut down your phone then restart it. Sign into an alternative account such as YouTube. Go to playstore where Facebook should download and install successfully.

Regards Alan

Posted via the Android Central App

peakjohnny

Sep 7, 2015
Visit site
I had the same problem with a Sony Experia installing upgrades for Strava and Instagram...
android duplicate provider authority!!
So I shut the phone down and took out my SD card and they installed Ok when I powered it up again. Then I shut the phone down and put my SD card back and powered it up; no problems.:D

peakjohnny

Sep 7, 2015
Visit site
I had the same problem with a Sony Experia installing upgrades for Strava and Instagram...
android duplicate provider authority!!
So I shut the phone down and took out my SD card and they installed Ok so I shut the phone down and put my SD card back; no problems.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa