will Verizon drop prices

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
It might be a nice bonus to those who were duped into signing up for edge, but for most others, it's a shell game compared to the regular contract plans. the $20/month discount basically gets you about the same monthly as if you had signed up for a contract plan, depending on the phone you selected.

For those who signed a contract near but before 11/13/13,you could get a free 4GLTE smartphone plus $230 over 2 years.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=362374

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

hokiesteve

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
For those who signed a contract near but before 11/13/13,you could get a free 4GLTE smartphone plus $230 over 2 years.

Moving from Contract to Edge to reduce monthly bill and ETF - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

So there's a way to get away with less of a fee to terminate service. I don't see how that really helps people unless they signed a contract close to the cutoff date and want to jump ship.

Verizon may be trying to sell people on Edge but it's only because most consumers are worse off on it. For most scenarios, it's still cheaper to go with a contract plan, even if you terminate early. Take the example of a single line with an iPhone 5s on a 2GB data plan:

On Contract: $200 up front for the phone, 35$ activation fee. 90$ Monthly. Total for 2 year contract: $2190. Total to terminate service: 350-10$*months of service
New VZEdge on new More everything (more money for Verizon included) Ripoff: 0 Upfront for the phone, 0$ activation fee. 80$ Monthly for voice/text/data, 27/month for the phone payment. Total for 2 years: $2568. Total to terminate: 650-27*months of service

The fact that a spreadsheet is required to compare these plans just within Verizon's plan offerings is ludicrious. Even with more everything, VZEdge is still a ripoff.

As Droid3R said, smoke and mirrors. More everything just added some more smoke.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
So there's a way to get away with less of a fee to terminate service. I don't see how that really helps people unless they signed a contract close to the cutoff date and want to jump ship.

Verizon may be trying to sell people on Edge but it's only because most consumers are worse off on it. For most scenarios, it's still cheaper to go with a contract plan, even if you terminate early. Take the example of a single line with an iPhone 5s on a 2GB data plan:

On Contract: $200 up front for the phone, 35$ activation fee. 90$ Monthly. Total for 2 year contract: $2190. Total to terminate service: 350-10$*months of service
New VZEdge on new More everything (more money for Verizon included) Ripoff: 0 Upfront for the phone, 0$ activation fee. 80$ Monthly for voice/text/data, 27/month for the phone payment. Total for 2 years: $2568. Total to terminate: 650-27*months of service

The fact that a spreadsheet is required to compare these plans just within Verizon's plan offerings is ludicrious. Even with more everything, VZEdge is still a ripoff.

As Droid3R said, smoke and mirrors. More everything just added some more smoke.

Those currently on contract near the cut off date can save $230 over 2 years plus get a free 4GLTE smartphone.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
How does the math work out on that?

Posted via Android Central App

Sure, assuming that you signed up recently but before 11/13/13, you would probably have about 21 months left on contract. When signing up for edge, your remaining contract is forgiven.

Buy a s3 mini for $250 on edge, and your phone bill would decrease by a total of $480 over 2 years, $20/mo reduction assuming a minimum 10gb on MEP.

$480-$250=$230

So you would be saving $230 and getting a free s3 mini.

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
s3 mini for $250 on edge, and your phone bill would decrease by a total of $480 over 2 years, $20/mo reduction assuming a minimum 10gb on MEP.

$480-$250=$230

So you would be saving $230 and getting a free s3 mini.
but who wants an S3 mini? I would just wait for the GS5 if you were going to go with a Samsung phone. It would be $600 so:

$480 - $600 = -$120. Basically you would get a GS5 for $120 after the monthly savings.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
but who wants an S3 mini? I would just wait for the GS5 if you were going to go with a Samsung phone. It would be $600 so:

$480 - $600 = -$120. Basically you would get a GS5 for $120 after the monthly savings.

Sure you can get any phone of your choosing. But the only reason I chose it was because it netted the most savings. Now if you want a certain phone now then it would be beneficial as well

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Sure you can get any phone of your choosing. But the only reason I chose it was because it netted the most savings. Now if you want a certain phone now then it would be beneficial as well
So right now if someone was on the 700 minute, unlimited text, 2GB of data per line family plan and had 2 lines, their base cost would be $160/mo. If they switch to the More Everything Plan with Edge, they could get 10GB of data per month and unlimited minutes/text for $140/mo + cell phone cost, right?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
So right now if someone was on the 700 minute, unlimited text, 2GB of data per line family plan and had 2 lines, their base cost would be $160/mo. If they switch to the More Everything Plan with Edge, they could get 10GB of data per month and unlimited minutes/text for $140/mo + cell phone cost, right?

Yes, you are correct. However keep in mind that you would have to be on edge to get the $140 pricing. Once you are not on edge, it moves up $20 per line .

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Yes, you are correct. However keep in mind that you would have to be on edge to get the $140 pricing. Once you are not on edge, it moves up $20 per line .
yes, I specified that in my post.

So let's say both users want to get a GS5, which would be about $25/mo on Edge = $600 x 2 = $1200.

They are saving $20/mo by moving to More Everything + Edge and getting 6GB more data per month as well as unlimited minutes instead of 700, which may or may not be important to them. So over the course of 24 months, they save $480. Deduct that from their $1200 phone costs and that is $720 for both phones.

If they stay on a nationwide family plan, their phone costs would be $230 x 2 = $460 so the would still come out ahead by $260 and in many states there would also be a significant sales tax savings. But of course they would not have unlimited minutes and would have 6GB less data, which may or may not be important to them.

If your family has unlimited minutes on a nationwide family plan then the situation would favor the More Everything + Edge.

So people just need to look at their needs and price it out but don't forget to include the phone costs including the sales tax.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
yes, I specified that in my post.

So let's say both users want to get a GS5, which would be about $25/mo on Edge = $600 x 2 = $1200.

They are saving $20/mo by moving to More Everything + Edge and getting 6GB more data per month as well as unlimited minutes instead of 700, which may or may not be important to them. So over the course of 24 months, they save $480. Deduct that from their $1200 phone costs and that is $720 for both phones.

If they stay on a nationwide family plan, their phone costs would be $230 x 2 = $460 so the would still come out ahead by $260 and in many states there would also be a significant sales tax savings. But of course they would not have unlimited minutes and would have 6GB less data, which may or may not be important to them.

If your family has unlimited minutes on a nationwide family plan then the situation would favor the More Everything + Edge.

So people just need to look at their needs and price it out but don't forget to include the phone costs including the sales tax.

Yes it really depends on their needs.

What you are saying is fine if you upgrade at 24 months, but if you upgrade much longer than 24 months, then you would need to factor that in as well as a soon as your 2 years is up, your bill goes up.

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Yes it really depends on their needs.

What you are saying is fine if you upgrade at 24 months, but if you upgrade much longer than 24 months, then you would need to factor that in as well as a soon as your 2 years is up, your bill goes up.
how can anyone wait much longer than 24 months to upgrade!!!